The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Lots of good options, I personally don't play Canadian pennies even though when I found HUT she was just a youngin' in the 3's 

i've made some good scratch but im feeling dirty playing where I am.  trying to build enough of a buffer where I can buy 1000+ shares at a shot of something good

I think the following sentence sums it up pretty well what happened on the markets over the last couple of days:

But as interest rates creep higher and inflation concerns set in, investors begin to discount future value of these highflying stocks a bit more, which has caused share prices to fall. That, in turn, can prompt more selling.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

My mother messaged me and said "Check out NGA" I bought 1000 at $14.08.. Thanks mom, haha..

On 12/27/2020 at 6:01 PM, AriGold2.0 said:

Take this for what you will.. My moms next door neighbour ( the biggest dog I know in investment) send her this text, which she of course sent to me.

"Thankyou Merry Christmas buy PUBM going to be a wild ride" - That's the exact text.

He put me onto TTD @ $337 on June 4th (I didn't buy), it's $931 6 months later. I know he bought 3400 shares just prior to when he told us.

I'm gonna look very very deep into this tonight but wanted to see if anybody knows anything about PUBM ?! I have no idea...

PUBM doubled since Xmas (pullback given last week). Ma knows. 

2 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

My mother messaged me and said "Check out NGA" I bought 1000 at $14.08.. Thanks mom, haha..

Damn it dropped into the 12s yesterday.  It hit my stop loss last week at like 19.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

PUBM doubled since Xmas (pullback given last week). Ma knows. 

Yeah that's my mom's neighbor, he's works with the finance minister of Canada. He was a big dog buying for TD before. He only throws us a bone once in a while but when he does I don't question it. My DD is probably 1% of what his is.

He also gave us Trading desk at $220 and it ran to $950 within a year. I didn't buy any because I didn't know any better and $200 a per share for anything was a 2nd language to me back then.

15 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Yeah that's my mom's neighbor, he's works with the finance minister of Canada. He was a big dog buying for TD before. He only throws us a bone once in a while but when he does I don't question it. My DD is probably 1% of what his is.

He also gave us Trading desk at $220 and it ran to $950 within a year. I didn't buy any because I didn't know any better and $200 a per share for anything was a 2nd language to me back then.

Sounds like we need to listen to the big wig more often ;) Feel free to tag it #BigWigSmarterThanUs and we will know what to grab. 

On 3/4/2021 at 12:39 AM, nuckin_futz said:

Dave Portnoy Helps Launch New BUZZ ETF that Tracks Hyped Stocks

Top 15 holdings of the $BUZZ ETF

1 Draftkings $DKNG

2 Twitter $TWTR

3 Ford $F

4 American $AAL

5 Facebook $FB

6 Amazon $AMZN

7 Apple $AAPL

8 $AMD

9 Netflix $NFLX

10 Tesla $TSLA

11 $MSFT

12 $PFE

13 $PLUG

14 $BA

15 $PENN

Well I can clearly say I am disappointed in their choices, thought they were going to be pushing the reddit pumps much more haha.  Its almost just like a regular ETF, be interesting to see how it goes. Draftkings is their biggest holding at 3.40% so looks like it'll just be super diversified.

18 minutes ago, Russ said:

Sounds like we need to listen to the big wig more often ;) Feel free to tag it #BigWigSmarterThanUs and we will know what to grab. 

Top 15 holdings of the $BUZZ ETF

1 Draftkings $DKNG

2 Twitter $TWTR

3 Ford $F

4 American $AAL

5 Facebook $FB

6 Amazon $AMZN

7 Apple $AAPL

8 $AMD

9 Netflix $NFLX

10 Tesla $TSLA

11 $MSFT

12 $PFE

13 $PLUG

14 $BA

15 $PENN

Well I can clearly say I am disappointed in their choices, thought they were going to be pushing the reddit pumps much more haha.  Its almost just like a regular ETF, be interesting to see how it goes. Draftkings is their biggest holding at 3.40% so looks like it'll just be super diversified.

I’m surprised his ego didn’t make penn the #1 holding 

• Haha 1

What are people's htoughts on BABA? Been beaten up lately with the sell off and the Ant IPO fiasco, but their financials appear to be in pretty good shape. They beat EPS estimates every quarter last year, their Net Tangible Assets is 5x their Debt, and are diversified into the Fintech space with ANT.

17 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

What are people's htoughts on BABA? Been beaten up lately with the sell off and the Ant IPO fiasco, but their financials appear to be in pretty good shape. They beat EPS estimates every quarter last year, their Net Tangible Assets is 5x their Debt, and are diversified into the Fintech space with ANT.

Don't know what to think of them after Xinnie the Pooh disappeared Jack Ma. 

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think the following sentence sums it up pretty well what happened on the markets over the last couple of days:

But as interest rates creep higher and inflation concerns set in, investors begin to discount future value of these highflying stocks a bit more, which has caused share prices to fall. That, in turn, can prompt more selling.

It's all about interest rates at this point. During that bond blow out last week the 10yr yield hit a high of 1.614%. Yesterday at the height of the tech sell off it hit 1.613% before backing off to close at 1.577%.

Not all stocks get hit in an environment like this. Financials for example love higher rates. The ones that get hit are speculative names that trade at crazy prices like EV's, SPACs, anything without earnings and solid revenue growth. Stocks that trade on promises rather than results. This was a sell off targeting the "fake it until you make it" stocks. GOOG, and FB were green on the week. AAPL, AMZN and MSFT were barely red. The S&P was barely red on the week.

A lot of people will plow right back into the speculative stuff because they think it's cheap, it's not. Lessons learned in the market are quite often expensive ones.

There's 2 big events next week that are worth paying attention to. On Wednesday the Treasury holds a 10 yr bond auction at 10.01 AM (PST), on Thursday at 10.01 AM (PST) they hold a 30 yr bond auction. Any chaos in those auctions will lead to more market turmoil.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I think the fund has a minimum market cap condition of $5 Billion. I believe it gets rebalanced on a monthly basis.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Jack Ma doesn't own anymore Baba I don't think or at least isn't directly affiliated anymore. He is no longer missing either, but yes that was..... odd.

He's still synonymous with Baba though, thats why when he dissapeared for a bit there the stock was dropping and when he reappeared it went back up eventhough he did leave to start up his ANT project (which was kyboshed but haven't heard if its going to get listed after china saying no first time around) 

I keep seeing the same stuff all over the internet from different analysts.. Take it for what you will but this is what the current prediction is..

The next 4-6 weeks will be bullish but once SPY goes over 400 or even higher they're expecting a gigantic correction down to $340 area..

Basically that we're coming out of the bulltrap.. 

image.png.119b724bbbe32e492b8ac9a56cc2dda7.png

Nobody's opinion I respect more then @nuckin_futz Any crystal ball outlooks ?

7 minutes ago, HI5 said:

@nuckin_futz opinion on bitcoin? I still can’t seem to sell myself on it, besides potentially being a place to store value. 

Have you done any research?

Ask yourself what the value proposition of it is

What is the argument for it; what is the argument against it

Where do you see this asset in 10 years time and why

Why has it grown the way it has in the last 11 years

Often time you have people that are bullish just say "Bitcoin is the future" and people that are bearish that say "Bitcoin is trash"; without providing much reasoning. 

57 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

I keep seeing the same stuff all over the internet from different analysts.. Take it for what you will but this is what the current prediction is..

The next 4-6 weeks will be bullish but once SPY goes over 400 or even higher they're expecting a gigantic correction down to $340 area..

Basically that we're coming out of the bulltrap.. 

image.png.119b724bbbe32e492b8ac9a56cc2dda7.png

Nobody's opinion I respect more then @nuckin_futz Any crystal ball outlooks ?

I put my crystal ball away a long time ago. I try not to make predictions because doing that tends to attach one's ego to their prediction then being proven right becomes more important than making money. When you're in that mind set you're in trouble. I try to just trade what I see happening with an open mind.

Here's an example. ....

gme.jpg.01fe2ae56f62566a19a9cdf90d75f44a.jpg

I think GME is one of the biggest turds out there. It's a horrible company with horrible management and a dying business model. But if I am being objective I look at what it did last week while every speculative overvalued POS got crushed. It was up every day. Not by a huge amount but it's holding it's own during market carnage. This tells me shorts are stuck again and there must be a sh*t tonne of them. The play here is probably to buy some out of the money calls as a lotto ticket and hope history repeats itself and "Jimmy" goes on another short crushing rip.

The Senate just passed the $1.9 Trillion Stimulus Bill. Now it goes back to the House for a rubber stamp. So there's direct payments hitting bank accounts very soon. I can guarantee you there's going to be a lot of $1400 (or multiples of $1400) cheques hitting RobinHood accounts imminently. I could see the indexes retesting the highs. What happens from there is anybody's guess.

I just don't think the speculative stuff is going to get much respite. Way too many bagholders there providing resistance now.

32 minutes ago, HI5 said:

@nuckin_futz opinion on bitcoin? I still can’t seem to sell myself on it, besides potentially being a place to store value. 

Yeah I can't seem to sell myself on it either. I might have an inherent bias as I totally missed the boat there. To me it's a digital version of Beanie Babies. Stuffed bags of nothing that were selling for hundreds and thousands of dollars until they weren't. So here you have something just made up by "someone"named Satoshi Nakamoto that is now worth close to a trillion dollars. To me it goes under the category of if something sounds too good to be true it is.

I fear government will step in at any time and clamp down on it. Remember government once made it illegal to own gold and to drink alcohol. Government can do whatever it wants. And they don't like competition. If it becomes a serious enough problem they will find a way to do away with it. You are already seeing a lot of countries introducing their own digital currencies. How well that will catch on remains to be seen. But it signals they see Bitcoin as a threat.

Plus Bitcoin mining is such a waste of energy. I read the amount of energy consumed by Bitcoin mining is equivalent to the amount of energy consumed by Argentina. There's 45 million people in Argentina.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Russ said:

He's still synonymous with Baba though, thats why when he dissapeared for a bit there the stock was dropping and when he reappeared it went back up eventhough he did leave to start up his ANT project (which was kyboshed but haven't heard if its going to get listed after china saying no first time around) 

He is associated with it, that's true. Fundamentally, BABA seems to be on solid ground and arguably undervalued considering the growth through their cloud arm. Also, Alibaba's cloud service and Baidu were both approved by the CCP to handle online 3rd party payments for China. If the CCP was truly anti-BABA they wouldn't have been granted this deal. They are essentially China's Amazon. I'm open to any challenging opinions, I don't own any at the moment but am considering entering a long term position.

5 hours ago, Russ said:

She’s sent a text to see his thoughts on the market and what he’s bullish on.

Should have an answer by tomorrow night.