The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

19 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

But why would you want to? Just hold US companies in US dollars and Canadian companies in Canadian. It's not like it's hard to switch when you want to.

I doubt they provide that service for free.....

I'm sure CIBC takes a cut somewhere along the way. I believe they are hedged to CAD so there isn't the extra layer of how the currency rate affects your return. That is from my understanding anyway. Also, before the split anyway, they would be a way to buy Amazon without paying 3000 USD for it.

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'm sure CIBC takes a cut somewhere along the way. I believe they are hedged to CAD so there isn't the extra layer of how the currency rate affects your return. That is from my understanding anyway. Also, before the split anyway, they would be a way to buy Amazon without paying 3000 USD for it.

I got a commitment from Qtrade that I could choose which exchange I wanted to trade my dual listed stocks. For example, I hold ENB in CDN $'s but I could sell it in NY in USD$. That would avoid paying a fee to convert. The last time I converted inside my Qtrade account the cost was 0.007% since the amount was over $10,000. There are levels on the rates charged. If possible avoid the banks as their rates can be brutal. Our credit Union charges over 4%?      

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I got a commitment from Qtrade that I could choose which exchange I wanted to trade my dual listed stocks. For example, I hold ENB in CDN $'s but I could sell it in NY in USD$. That would avoid paying a fee to convert. The last time I converted inside my Qtrade account the cost was 0.007% since the amount was over $10,000. There are levels on the rates charged. If possible avoid the banks as their rates can be brutal. Our credit Union charges over 4%?      

Yeah the wife uses questrade but I don’t like how they don’t offer trailing stops. 4% is an obscene charge for currency conversion. It would be interesting to see how much you are charged for buying a CDR. I don’t use them really but I know they are available 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah the wife uses questrade but I don’t like how they don’t offer trailing stops. 4% is an obscene charge for currency conversion. It would be interesting to see how much you are charged for buying a CDR. I don’t use them really but I know they are available 

I haven't used CDR's either. They are popping up on my Qtrade feed as an option instead of NY. As a rule I want to hold so much in USD as a currency hedge anyways. I have also identified Canadian companies that earn substantial amounts in the USA. Some even pay their dividends in USD. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I haven't used CDR's either. They are popping up on my Qtrade feed as an option instead of NY. As a rule I want to hold so much in USD as a currency hedge anyways. I have also identified Canadian companies that earn substantial amounts in the USA. Some even pay their dividends in USD. 

Who pays dividends in USD?

On 7/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, Boudrias said:

Never really a bad idea holding a bunch of USD as a Canadian.  At worst, you’ll be able to use it on excursions south of the border.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Never really a bad idea holding a bunch of USD as a Canadian.  At worst, you’ll be able to use it on excursions south of the border.

Depends on where our dollar was when you acquired the USD's. Cdn $ usually trades between about 70 cents US and par. When our dollar is closer to par, sure. But buying USD's when our dollar is anywhere near the bottom of that range, anywhere near 0.70 USD, there is a pretty good chance one would regret buying.

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Depends on where our dollar was when you acquired the USD's. Cdn $ usually trades between about 70 cents US and par. When our dollar is closer to par, sure. But buying USD's when our dollar is anywhere near the bottom of that range, anywhere near 0.70 USD, there is a pretty good chance one would regret buying.

Best never to "time" a purchase (much like in stocks).  If one is going to "invest" a given amount of amount, spread it over time (unless it's a small purchase then it doesn't really make that much a difference).  But that's my viewpoint.  I'm hardly a financial advisor lol (looks at my assets & weeps),

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Best never to "time" a purchase (much like in stocks).  If one is going to "invest" a given amount of amount, spread it over time (unless it's a small purchase then it doesn't really make that much a difference).  But that's my viewpoint.  I'm hardly a financial advisor lol (looks at my assets & weeps),

That is bad advice. Using one-size-fits-all rules for dramatically different types of assets is pretty much a guarantee of poor results. Good quality stocks can be expected to continue to rise substantially in value over time, year after year. Currencies on the other hand, generally do not, and are often range-bound.

As I pointed out, anyone who bought USD's at any time in the past when our dollar was 0.90 USD or more was probably happy with their choice. Anyone who bought USD's when our dollar was in the 0.70 USD range or lower probably regrets their choice.

• Cheers 1

On 7/17/2022 at 6:32 AM, Boudrias said:

BAM, BIPC, FNV, AEM, AQN

Or any dividend paying US companies.

I like to hold my US companies in US dollars in my RRSP and TFSA both have balances in both currencies. And I do occasionally have to switch money from one to another (usually for Can to US because there's a lot more US companies I would like to own)....

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Still falling. Look out for falling bodies.

Yeah. I'm pretty happy that I stay clear of the market for the most part.

I play with 1 ETF that has made me some good little chunks...SOXL, its up almost 23% this month.

And my lemon....RIVN...it's up 12%. Though I am still way down from when I first bought. Might buy more soon to average down. 

17 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

US oil inventories report down today vs. projected rise.

It's the 4 dollar litres of gas that's going to cause the recession, not interest rates.

No!  It's the overstimulation of the economy and indirect consequences of the Covid Pandemic that distorted the entire worlds supply chain that caused this - plain and simple! 

Our governments (Canada, other western countries and especially the USA) shoved too much money into the economy.  Biden's last $2000 dollar per person welfare cheque was the straw that broke the camels back and was not needed when the economy was already highly stimulated and recovering well!  Ditto for Trudeau who extended the CERB payments for 8 extra months for nothing when businesses were clamoring for workers and gave away millions to businesses that didn't need the money.  Absolute Stupidity and mismanagement and needless further indebtedness that the next generation will pay dearly for because the $1,000,000,000,000.00 Trillion dollar debt Canada now has WILL HAVE TO PAID BACK by guess who?   

The $1.99/Ltr is completely related to pent-up/surging demand following Covid and Putin's "small man syndrome" ego trip into Ukraine. Inflation was already on an upward trend well before gas prices went up.  

BTW, get ready for a Recession - That is a 100% certainty. You can take that to the Bank!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Ummm....I'm pretty sure it's corporate greed causing a lot of these issues @RU SERIOUS.

With oil under $100 off and on for weeks why is the price at the pump well over $2.00 per litre?  

As for "overstimulation" causing supply chain issues.  Factories everywhere were shut down for months, the resources they run on were bit being extracted or refined.

Blaming Biden for two rounds of covid payments and one via trump, or Trudeau for CERB payments causing this is entirely myopic and shortsighted.  It's the poorest possible excuse for what is happening right now which was and is a series of systemic problems that started back in 2009.  Over a decade of artificially low interest rates, over a decade of endless housing and rental price increases, wage stagnation; centralization and outsourcing of jobs/positions as well as automation.  Poorly thought out conceived tax cuts for some and increased taxation and service cuts for others.

At these prices per barrel with current supply and development, gas should be around $1.35 a litre.  The Star just proved that grocery stores are profiting immensely on food issues by jacking prices well above inflationary rates.  Rental prices have almost doubled in less than 5 years across the nation and much of the US

But.....yes.  Let's blame Biden for $3200 in total covid payments over a year and the multi party canadian government (not Trudeau because it was an ALL party affair that created and pushed CERB through) for these issues and not ask why Oil is as low as it is but prices are as high as they are.

Because with the additional 32 cents in municipal and provincial taxes Vancouver is $1.95.9 per litre.  But in the Okanagan it is $2.10.9 per litre meaning there is an almost 50 cent per litre discrepancy and hey if that isn't just the feds fault I don't know what is <_<

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/oil-holds-below-100-as-traders-assess-us-gasoline-demand-1.1794771

Oil declined as investors assessed signs of lackluster US gasoline demand and the return of supplies from Libya.

West Texas Intermediate futures fell toward US$95 a barrel. The slump came after a US report showed gasoline inventories rose more than expected last week, while stalling demand sent the motor fuel’s premium over crude plummeting.

Edited by Warhippy

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

BTW, get ready for a Recession - That is a 100% certainty. You can take that to the Bank!

At the start of the pandemic the unemployment rate was 5.6 - 5.9%, it's currently 4.9%.

Recessions are usually preceded by layoffs. I don't see many signs or announcements of layoffs. In fact quite the opposite, employers are clamouring for employees. In the US job growth has been obscenely strong.

There's huge pent up demand in most industries. This is not the recipe for a 100% certain recession. If there is one I would think it would be very mild.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1