The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kris Versteeg to Hurricanes

Canes Acquire Versteeg, Nordstrom from Hawks:

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired forwards Kris Versteeg (vuhr-STEEG) and Joakim Nordstrom (JOH-keem NORD-struhm) and a third-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft in exchange for defensemen Dennis Robertson and Jake Massie and a fifth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

“Kris is a skilled forward who has won a pair of Cups with the Blackhawks and can provide veteran leadership in our room,” said Francis. “Joakim is a solid, 200-foot player who can kill penalties. This gives us more options up front for this season, while also now giving us 10 picks in the first three rounds over the next two drafts.”

Versteeg, 29, ranked eighth among Blackhawks skaters in scoring in 2014-15, totaling 34 points (14g, 20a) and a plus-11 rating in 61 games played. The Lethbridge, Alb., native added two points (1g, 1a) in 12 playoff games to win his second career Stanley Cup championship with Chicago. A fifth-round selection (134th overall) of the Boston Bruins in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Versteeg (5’11”, 176 lbs.) has totaled 275 points (116g, 159a) in 473 career NHL games with Chicago, Toronto, Philadelphia and Florida.

Nordstrom, 23, split the 2014-15 season between the Blackhawks and their top minor-league affiliate, the Rockford IceHogs. The Stockholm native earned three assists in 38 games on the NHL level with Chicago and had 16 points (9g, 7a) in 23 AHL games for the IceHogs. He also appeared in three Stanley Cup playoff games to win his first career Stanley Cup. Nordstrom (6’1”, 189 lbs.) was Chicago’s third-round selection (90th overall) in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has appeared in two seasons with the Blackhawks, totaling one goal and five assists (6 points) in 54 career NHL games.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778729

A deal for both teams. Chicago dumps salary but still gains some intriguing assets and Carolina adds some more pieces without giving up the future. It looks like Carolina is finally starting to crawl out of the basement that its been trapped in for seemingly years. All they need now is to ease Cam Ward off the starter's nectar and they may have assembled quite a dark horse of a team. I don't think the current Carolina Hurricanes line up (with the Versteeg & Nordstrom additions) is good enough to make the playoffs but they're clearly headed in the right direction.

Without a doubt in my mind, I fully believe that the Hawks Stanley Cup dominance is over. They have lost elite talent and added depth players, and now they lost good depth players, who might crack a NHL roster one day. Maybe.

Hawks are going down hill. Although most people thought the same in 2011 when they were the 8th seed and we manage to defeat them in 7games. We all know the turnover that happened. If they dump a few players, develop a few middle 6 forwards, keep seabrook and everything goes right they will be back in 3years time most likely. I doubt that happens and looks like toews and kane loyalty will be tested in the future. My bet is they leave.

Without a doubt in my mind, I fully believe that the Hawks Stanley Cup dominance is over. They have lost elite talent and added depth players, and now they lost good depth players, who might crack a NHL roster one day. Maybe.

The thing about that is any other team it might be true.

This is Bowmans team. All Bowman does is dominate.

He may have coughed up skill, he drafted more skill and traded for skill.

He may have coughed up depth and role players. He drafted and traded for more.

The Wings dominance was supposed to be over after 98. They STILL haven't missed the playoffs and a lot of the leaders are Bowman products.

I don't think for a moment their dominance will continue as people think it. But they're still going to be the benchmark set this decade without question and there's 5 seasons left in it

Nice to see this kind of deal go the way of the Canes.

I'm a bit surprised by the Nordstrom addition - and the 3rd.

But let's face it - Chicago could afford the dump. They still have the likes of McNeill, Hartman, Dano, Danault to work into their lineup.

I think Nordstrom could turn out to be another steal - like Nestrasil - more upside than his situational use in Chicago allowed for.

Let's get Eddie some wins down there.

Archived