The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen's Direction

Zack's Teeth

Jake is a yappy, chippy kind of player. He hits when the opportunity presents itself regardless of the target. He has the talent to score goals consistently.

One thing I noticed in the prospect camp was his effort. Even when pucks weren't going in for him, he kept at it hard. Was finally rewarded in the last game.

A lot of people compare him to Kass but there are solid differences. Jake hits clean and chirps when guys try to punch him for it. Kass had a habit of becoming over-emotional and making dirty contact. Also, Kass tried to play like a Sedin instead of a PWF - and his "try" would disappear for games at a time.

The kid will be alright. IDK if he will last on the team beyond the few game tryout.. simply because we'd have 2 spare wingers and no extra C. (only 3 Cs when you consider Vey was going to play wing)

Jake is a yappy, chippy kind of player. He hits when the opportunity presents itself regardless of the target. He has the talent to score goals consistently.

One thing I noticed in the prospect camp was his effort. Even when pucks weren't going in for him, he kept at it hard. Was finally rewarded in the last game.

A lot of people compare him to Kass but there are solid differences. Jake hits clean and chirps when guys try to punch him for it. Kass had a habit of becoming over-emotional and making dirty contact. Also, Kass tried to play like a Sedin instead of a PWF - and his "try" would disappear for games at a time.

The kid will be alright. IDK if he will last on the team beyond the few game tryout.. simply because we'd have 2 spare wingers and no extra C. (only 3 Cs when you consider Vey was going to play wing)

Kind of reminds me of Corey Perry in that regard.

Without the puck, his direction will be homed in on the opposition player who has it.

With the puck he'll take it hard to the net. I like how in both regards he goes all out, and I had the same worry as OP but at least from his showing during the tourney he's shown that he can hurt you a bunch of ways (aside from hits, he can also use power moves like his dekes and wrap-around's, as well as score on breakaways like he did against Calgary).

Of course his physical style will catch up to him down the road, but for now I'm glad that we have him as a player.

Kind of reminds me of Corey Perry in that regard.

Perry is a nasty mofo that's for sure. Can hardly look at his face without wanting to punch it in. He cheats but is rarely caught which is a testament to his smarts. If Jake ends up half the player we would be happy.

During the prospects game a lot of people questioned his hockey IQ. A lot of Jake's great plays were made because teammates were yelling at him to be in position. But those things can be taught. Tenacity and work ethic are inherent.

Perry is a nasty mofo that's for sure. Can hardly look at his face without wanting to punch it in. He cheats but is rarely caught which is a testament to his smarts. If Jake ends up half the player we would be happy.

During the prospects game a lot of people questioned his hockey IQ. A lot of Jake's great plays were made because teammates were yelling at him to be in position. But those things can be taught. Tenacity and work ethic are inherent.

Yelling at him?

I know there has been a ton of talk around our prospects now that we have something to watch/comment on over the last week, but surprisingly not much has been said regarding Virtanen's direction.

A few have said they're worried about injury with him (again) which is valid, I just want to expand on that. No doubt we knew he had a mean streak in him on draft day but it seemed to be a compliment to his main dish (offense), if you will.

But as I see him progress, its more and more about getting a big hit in each shift rather than using his offensive talent. Not to say that he doesn't, just making a point that his focus is changing. I leave this not up to the player to fix, but the coach's, to identify and correct bad habits. Crucial years of development are at this age for a prospect, further it need to come from the top down that "Hey, Do we want this Kid to be a grinder who produces on the 3rd line or an offensive force with an edge?".

Its clearly because I'm too invested in our team but god damn this scares me!!

For reference, watch the mic'd up video on CDC where our assistant his telling Jake to get his feet moving more so he can run at nurse... that's our top prospect your telling to go run another play like WTF!

Let me know what you guys think.

I completely disagree with what you think is a flaw in Virtanens game. You said "As I see him progress, its more and more about getting a big hit each shift rather than using his offensive talent." I dont even understand how this is a problem if Virtanen is making big hits it clearly means the canucks are playing defence and not offence so why is offence even mentioned. Virtanen should be using his offensive tools when we are on offence and should be in a defensive mindset when we don't have possesion of the puck.

Virtanen is a north-south powerforward. He plays a straight line game. He has a physical edge and a big shot/quick release which I believe are the main reasons we drafted him and of course he is a home town kid. Virtanen is a player who thrives on emotion. I personally have no problem with Virtanen looking to make a big hit every shift. It is what he is good at.

I am very excited to see Virtanen develop and continue to work on his physical and offensive game. The Western Conference is extremely physical and there are a lot of players with big frames that the Canucks will be seeing a lot of especially if they plan on making a playoff run. In my opinion I love the way Virtanen plays we deffinitely need more size and physicality if we want to make it out of the Western Conference. In conclusion I disagree with your statement suggesting Virtanen should focus more on his offence instead of going out and making big hits. Making big hits is going to open up space on the ice not only for Virtanen, but his line mates aswell. Im all for the physical play.

Actually he reminds me of Burrows when he came into the league. He's just greater skill at a much younger age.

Agree 100%. It's a very different kind of game that Jake plays compared to Bo. I think it will be more difficult for Jake to stay up this year, but I'm hoping he can find a way.

Aside from a bit of a logjam at wing, it will be easier for Virt. Bo had a much harder position to fill at centre than Virt will have on the wing.

I'm a bit worried his physical play might produce a significant injury before he fills out at about 24.Players like Schenn and Brule got done right in trying to transfer their physical game early.Maybe Lucic on the other wing from him for a few years isn't such a bad idea.

Before he fills out? Hes already more "filled out" than the majority of players he will be lining up against. Tgat said, I get what youre saying and it is a concern of mine as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Are you guys talking about Jake?

Jake is way bigger, has a way better shot and plays a way heavier game then Burrows; they are both fiesty but that's about it for similarities for me.

I'm hoping for more of an Owen Nolan type guy.

Jasek may be more like a Burrows type player, undersized but tenacious...neither are fighters like Jake either.

Archived