The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ferklund - what will be the Canucks response on opening night?

HarryCanuck

That video just reminded me how badly the canucks rolled over that series. A nobody grinder threw the entire team off their game.

Who's going to step up? Probly Nobody.. Maybe Prust or Dorsett, but not if Ferland throws the body and won't drop the gloves again.

Yep, Jared McCann will straighten Ferland out. That'll work.

Look at this years Canucks roster vs last year. Prust for Kassian, Sutter for Bonino, Virtanen for Matthias, Cracknell for Kenins and McCann for Vey. Add in Dorsett, Burrows and Horvat. Although, Richardson is a definate loss up front. But overall, all of those players have far more grit and will make the Canucks more difficult to play against night in night out.

At some point this year, Ferland will get it, your love of his play will not save him. I'm guessing 60 days or less before Ferlands bell gets rung by someone. Players will tollerate it if he was accountable and dropped his mitts, but when you take runs and back down it will only be a matter of time.

Look at this years Canucks roster vs last year. Prust for Kassian, Sutter for Bonino, Virtanen for Matthias, Cracknell for Kenins and McCann for Vey. Add in Dorsett, Burrows and Horvat. Although, Richardson is a definate loss up front. But overall, all of those players have far more grit and will make the Canucks more difficult to play against night in night out.

At some point this year, Ferland will get it, your love of his play will not save him. I'm guessing 60 days or less before Ferlands bell gets rung by someone. Players will tollerate it if he was accountable and dropped his mitts, but when you take runs and back down it will only be a matter of time.

I see. So Ferland will get his bell rung. Within 60 days. Will he be out of the league then? Dead? Maimed and disfigured for life? Or will he get back on his feet and continue doing his job?

He's a tough kid, I don't think he'll be easily deterred. He wants a long career in the NHL just like everyone else.

The Ducks D actually got out of his way when he was barreling down on them in the fore check. They moved the puck quickly and didn't give Ferland a chance to do what he does best.

And to top it off, one of the big forwards (I can't remember which one) saw Ferland coming and did a reverse hit with his shoulder to Ferland's head. Ferland went to the bench, looked dazed, and that was it for him as effective.

It was tough, physical hockey. He wasn't out to deliberately hurt people, because if he was, he failed badly because he didn't take anyone out of the Canucks lineup. You're just upset because a kid with 30 NHL games under his belt ran roughshod over your little, cowering team who had no antidote or him.

Tough hockey? You mean dIrty hockey. Wait till this guys makes a name for himself with the refs and the league.

hkn-canucks-flames-20150419.jpg

The hit on Juice should have been a suspension.

https://twitter.com/CapitalistChris/...136449/video/1

The guy is a clown. In the reg season he's going to get called and cost his team games, he will soon find himself a healthy scratch. With that said Even without Ferlund flames still beat us, canucks didn't up there game like is needed when playoffs start.

Completely irrelevant in the regular season one hit and he will be penalized and suspended. Different rules in the reg season he will be a complete non factor

This to me is why the NHL is a joke. No where in the NHL rulebook does it say there are 2 rulebooks, 1 for regular season and another for playoffs. And yet, clearly the refs put away their whistles come post season. The fact that it is often to the detriment of the Canucks upsets me even more. The NHL needs to address this disparity in officiating, either with better training for refs or else admit publicly that there are different rules in the playoffs so then all players know what they can get away with. For instance, the new playoff rulebook might state it is now leal to speedbag any player 6 times without a penalty being called. Then we can send a Prust or someone to ragdoll 19 yo Sam Bennett.

I see. So Ferland will get his bell rung. Within 60 days. Will he be out of the league then? Dead? Maimed and disfigured for life? Or will he get back on his feet and continue doing his job?

He's a tough kid, I don't think he'll be easily deterred. He wants a long career in the NHL just like everyone else.

Define tough kid without using the term blindsiding and then add in the term being accountable for your actions.

BTW - dead...maimed. Really? I think you are getting a tad over excited. I'd just like one of the Canucks to lay a solid open ice hit and send a message. Without the need to hit him from behind or take 8 steps before laying the body. However, maim, great term to define what he was trying to do last season.

My point is, the way he plays will not be missed by many in the NHL. If he doesn't start to back up his 8 step runs at guys (after they've moved the puck), he is likely to be on the other end of a bad hit some time soon.

Canucks were slow, being fast and exploiting his lack of hockey ability should be the game plan. Not going out of the way to play his game. He is overrated and the season can't start soon enough.

Id say his last showing makes you look pretty ignorant about hockey. The kid clearly has some skills.

Define tough kid without using the term blindsiding and then add in the term being accountable for your actions.

BTW - dead...maimed. Really? I think you are getting a tad over excited. I'd just like one of the Canucks to lay a solid open ice hit and send a message. Without the need to hit him from behind or take 8 steps before laying the body. However, maim, great term to define what he was trying to do last season.

My point is, the way he plays will not be missed by many in the NHL. If he doesn't start to back up his 8 step runs at guys (after they've moved the puck), he is likely to be on the other end of a bad hit some time soon.

Tough = willing to do the job asked of him, especially in a physical sense.

Now, please define "accountable for your actions" for me. He was out there on the ice plenty in all 6 of those games...seems pretty accountable to me. He wasn't in hiding.

I'm not getting excited. You're the one saying he's about to receive some career-defining comeuppance. Please elaborate. One big hit is going to send him back home never to be heard from again? A fight? A bloody nose? Is that what it will take? If you think that, you're selling that kid short.

Again, the Canucks had their chance to lay a solid, open-ice hit on him. But who did it? Nobody.

So his play will not be missed by the NHL. Is he going somewhere? I haven't heard that.

Ferland might be the next version of Dustin Brown; a guy who spent a decade nailing guys with oft-borderline hits. You'd better warm up to the idea that this guy might be around for a while.

Tough = willing to do the job asked of him, especially in a physical sense.

Now, please define "accountable for your actions" for me. He was out there on the ice plenty in all 6 of those games...seems pretty accountable to me. He wasn't in hiding.

I'm not getting excited. You're the one saying he's about to receive some career-defining comeuppance. Please elaborate. One big hit is going to send him back home never to be heard from again? A fight? A bloody nose? Is that what it will take? If you think that, you're selling that kid short.

Again, the Canucks had their chance to lay a solid, open-ice hit on him. But who did it? Nobody.

So his play will not be missed by the NHL. Is he going somewhere? I haven't heard that.

Ferland might be the next version of Dustin Brown; a guy who spent a decade nailing guys with oft-borderline hits. You'd better warm up to the idea that this guy might be around for a while.

It's a sad affair, but I'm seeing the new NHL, where there are no more real face punchers - and certainly no honor code - and rats run amuck without answer, as one where it will be an eye for an eye response. Ferland runs our top guys, so we run yours. The star players will become, even more so, the targets of retribution.

It's a sad affair, but I'm seeing the new NHL, where there are no more real face punchers - and certainly no honor code - and rats run amuck without answer, as one where it will be an eye for an eye response. Ferland runs our top guys, so we run yours. The star players will become, even more so, the targets of retribution.

What, exactly, is it that you think he did so wrong? He played physical, hardly makes him a rat. Burrows is a far bigger "rat" than Ferland was in that series.

This isn't anything new. Matt Cooke is 37 years old and has been doing it since he was 21. Rats are nothing new. If you want, you can still grab a hold of one and punch his face in if you want to and are able. Would I like to see some 220lb gronk grab a hold of Brad Marchand and lay an enormous beating on him? Absolutely. That card is still on the table, but nobody seems to use it. It just costs you 5 in the box. Might not be a bad price to pay, huh?

Archived