The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Car Issue

Baka

What do you guys think this issue sounds like? Mainly just looking for ideas before I shell out and have someone come and look at it.

If any of this is relevant the dash and radio still turn on when I half turn the key and I cleaned that residue off the battery. It's an 05 Crossfire (roadster) with just under 50K miles. It is mainly still stock parts outside of a few cosmetic appearance parts and the exhaust system (all of which were changed years ago). I don't drive it very much, usually only once or twice a week in the summer (I did drive it a few days ago though and it seemed fine). 

What do you guys think this issue sounds like? Mainly just looking for ideas before I shell out and have someone come and look at it.

If any of this is relevant the dash and radio still turn on when I half turn the key and I cleaned that residue off the battery. It's an 05 Crossfire (roadster) with just under 50K miles. It is mainly still stock parts outside of a few cosmetic appearance parts and the exhaust system (all of which were changed years ago). I don't drive it very much, usually only once or twice a week in the summer (I did drive it a few days ago though and it seemed fine). 

You just need a new battery.  The radio and dash lights don't take much current; the starter does.  Go buy a new battery, and plunk it in place.  It'll go.

You just need a new battery.  The radio and dash lights don't take much current; the starter does.  Go buy a new battery, and plunk it in place.  It'll go.

I agree. Also because you don't drive the car much just try and give it a charge or jump it and see if your battery will hold the charge... Might just need a boost.

Solenoid.

I don't know, I'm a girl.

too cute!  I'm still smiling.  One of the best parts ever in a movie was in a silly Ralph Machio film, where one of the characters is a pretty young girl - married to Joe Pecci's character - who knows all about cars.  Girls who dig cars are cool.  

The battery seems like the right answer upon further review haha. Someone recommended I turn on the headlights and see if they dim when I turn the key. The headlights were dim in general and when I turned them on the dash lights all dimmed more as well. I turned the key a few times and the lights flickered in sync with the clicks (it also lifted the spoiler out of the back which isn't supposed to eject until the car hits 39mph and the override button wouldn't bring the spoiler back in). I eventually turned off the lights and got out and hit lock button on my keys and the car didn't respond at all not locking or arming the alarm. So I am assuming the battery is truly reaching its end.

It could be a battery problem. Hopefully it is, because that's the easiest to replace. I'm assuming you've tried jump starting it, because if not, do that.

I was having a problem starting my car as well recently, where it required a jump start to turn on, but the battery was refusing to hold a charge, or be charged. I took it to a mechanic I knew so he could run a diagnostic on the battery, which said it was dead. I was relieved, because it meant I didn't have to replace the alternator, which is what I was afraid the issue was. So I just bought a new battery and popped it in.

I was afraid as hell, because I had bought the car not just a month prior, and it was a used German model. (Audi S4) That's like worst case scenario in that kind of a buy, when it refuses to turn on. Don't want any kind of parts replacements on those things.

I'm not an expert enough with cars to know in what exact specifics a malfunctioning alternator would manifest itself, but it wouldn't allow your battery to charge and your car to start up. And it would be the more pricey problem.

Best case - Car needs a jump start

In Between - Battery replacement

Worst case - Parts replacement

I wouldn't replace your battery without knowing for sure it's the issue either. You can't get a refund once you install it, and find that there's no difference. Maybe store credit or some $&!#, lol.

Sounds like your solenoid is clicking/working - building up a charge - but not turning your starter over.  You might try tapping your starter with a hammer (lightly) to see if the brushes are sticking - light tapping can get them to move / your starter to turn over .  My guess would be that - and if that's the case, you might get it started but will need to replace them / rebuild your starter or replace it, depending on your preference / budget.

If don't think if your battery were dead, that your solenoid would receive enough charge to make it click like that.

too cute!  I'm still smiling.  One of the best parts ever in a movie was in a silly Ralph Machio film, where one of the characters is a pretty young girl - married to Joe Pecci's character - who knows all about cars.  Girls who dig cars are cool.  

You sweet talker you...I'm sure you also know there's another word for that.  I've read your posts, Alf, so I'm inclined to think you are genuinely a sweet talker and nice person and not the other variety.

You sweet talker you...I'm sure you also know there's another word for that.  I've read your posts, Alf, so I'm inclined to think you are genuinely a sweet talker and nice person and not the other variety.

thank you for the kind words::D.  Reality is not how we perceive ourselves, but how others perceive us.  

Get someone to to help you with jumper cables.

If it starts then it was likely the battery. If it doesn't start later either the battery is not keeping a charge and needs replacing (the most likely scenario) or you have an electrical problem drawing power.

Replace the battery and if the problem persists you need to take the car to an electrical expert (don't screw around in a mom and pop shop)

I'd recommend jumping it first before you shell out money for a new battery. Batteries tend to die when they sit for too long or perhaps the last time you used it you accidentally left something electric on. 

The list of probable causes is the battery, alternator or starter, to give you an idea. 

Sounds like your Pontifical Damacoid is not properly aligned with your Krux rod.  To fix this you'll need to remove your Gorvex cover to access the Viltz control panel.  From there just unscrew the Favel plate and that should allow you to realign the Damacoid.  Should take about a hour.

Archived