The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Gaudreau gets cheeeeeky with it

Odd.

he irks the hell out of me. cocky little guy. Did you see him hacking at Cowens leg after he got manhandled like a little kid? 

then mr pull ups Bennett comes charging in and hit the Ottawa guy and refused to drops the gloves. 

Theyre like Baertstchi and McCann dude, I don't think anyone would expect them to drop the gloves with Cowen. Virt or Horvat might be another story though. 

Two things I'm noticing here.

1. The strange hatred for Gaudreau.  What is there to dislike about him?  On the ice, he's generally not a cocky player, doesn't dive much and is basically a great playmaking winger like Martin St. Louis.  Off the ice, he's quiet.

2. The blame on Borowicki for not taking the body.  Seriously?  When someone is set up in Gretzky's office and you're the defenceman 3 feet away, how the hell can you paste the player?  The best you can do is lunge at him or take a stupid penalty by clotheslining the player.  Even Milan Lucic would probably just sidestep the d-man in that position.

You take the body, Gaudreau is small enough to deke around or slip under you and suddenly you're head first into the boards looking like a bigger fool. Easier said than done to hit a small player. That's why these guys like Gaudreau, Tyler Johnson and Pat Kane are so hard to defend. They're slippery and has faster reactions. The key to defending them is to slow the speed down and pin them against the wall, not run at them with hits.

Easier said then done. The kid might have to highest offensive hockey IQ in the league

Exactly. People don't really understand how hard it is to square up a guy like Gaudreau.

When I was playing midget rep, we went up against a team from the Ottawa Valley. They had a defenseman named JP Leroux. He was only 5'3" tall and 150 lbs, but he was basically untouchable. You'd think you had him lined up, but somehow he'd always manage to slip away on you.

Here's a synopsis of his Junior career. (He was too small for the pros) Check out his point totals, bearing in mind that he played defense. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=285489

We're talking about the best defensemen in the world, a lot of them are pretty tough, if it were as simple as "just hitting him" Gaudreau would not be in the league.  You can't hit what you can't catch and clearly he's compensated for a lack of size with skill and intelligence.  It boggles my mind why people continue to underestimate small players (especially forwards) in the league when you've had guys like Patrick Kane and Marty St. Louis dominating the league.  The physical aspect is only one part of the game, someone with extraordinary skill in other areas shouldn't be overlooked for their size when they've continually proven that they are an effective player.  

Clearly putting out biggest toughest guys isn't the answer against guys like Gaudreau, he'll just skate around them.  I would hope NHL coaches are more strategic in thetheir defensive strategies than saying "just hit him". Clearly you need quick, mobile, smart defensemen.  They don't even need to be big since he's (supposedly) easy to knock down once you make contact.  The key is making contact in the first place.

He’s the thing, the only reason were seeing this is because this D man got caught playing the puck.  Johnny doesn’t do this every time he touches the puck or else you’d be seeing 5 of these highlights every night. 

We're talking about the best defensemen in the world, a lot of them are pretty tough, if it were as simple as "just hitting him" Gaudreau would not be in the league. 

It really is as simple as “just taking the body”

95% of the time, players do take the body on him, he’s be pinned up against the boards and the puck would be lost.  It’s not a big hit, but it is a turn over and nothing comes out of the play.  See Sutter game 2 in the 2nd period (Johnny then hacked him in the ankle afterwards). 

but that 5% of the time he catches a player staring at the puck and makes the guy look stupid,  It that D doesn't reach for the puck he doesn't make him look dumb.  Bad play by the D.

he irks the hell out of me. cocky little guy. Did you see him hacking at Cowens leg after he got manhandled like a little kid? 

then mr pull ups Bennett comes charging in and hit the Ottawa guy and refused to drops the gloves. 

Sam Bennett is a little b*tch.  He thinks he's tough and he pulls some dirty stuff after whistles.  I remember in the Canucks game at the end of the first period he gave Hamhuis a vicious cross check after the whistle and nobody did anything to him.

Can't stand him, but love a little hot shot stuff to keep the game entertaining.  The infusion of youth gives way for some of this energy...these are the kids who are loving the game they're playing and I have a hard time slamming that.  Makes me love it too.

With that, cream the gnome.  :)

Two things I'm noticing here.

1. The strange hatred for Gaudreau.  What is there to dislike about him?  On the ice, he's generally not a cocky player, doesn't dive much and is basically a great playmaking winger like Martin St. Louis.  Off the ice, he's quiet.

2. The blame on Borowicki for not taking the body.  Seriously?  When someone is set up in Gretzky's office and you're the defenceman 3 feet away, how the hell can you paste the player?  The best you can do is lunge at him or take a stupid penalty by clotheslining the player.  Even Milan Lucic would probably just sidestep the d-man in that position.

When Gretzky was setup in his office, he did so with the defence wanting to get back there and check him, but he would just exit the other side and feed the open player (or just go over the net!). If he was stuck behind the net in that limited space with a defencemen he would have a much harder time to be stationary and do his thing.

Same here with Gaudreau, where he starts off with space but Borowiecki goes behind and Gaudreau tries to cut back on him. It left Borowiecki chasing him (a step behind each time) when Boroweicki should have angled more to the body rather than just reaching for the puck.

Clearly, looking to plaster him into the boards with a big hit is as much chasing as what he's doing lunging with the stick, but by trying to take time away from Gaudreau by going behind the net, Borowiecki needed to angle his approach to take away space as well. Getting a glove on him to push him off balance and away from the puck is enough in this situation.

When Gretzky was setup in his office, he did so with the defence wanting to get back there and check him, but he would just exit the other side and feed the open player (or just go over the net!). If he was stuck behind the net in that limited space with a defencemen he would have a much harder time to be stationary and do his thing.

Same here with Gaudreau, where he starts off with space but Borowiecki goes behind and Gaudreau tries to cut back on him. It left Borowiecki chasing him (a step behind each time) when Boroweicki should have angled more to the body rather than just reaching for the puck.

And I assume you would make this decision in the .25 secs Borowiecki had to react... Come on guys it's a good play especially since he does in if such speed and it's like he knows whats the defence was going to do before it happened. IF Borowiecki would have played if differently Gaudreau would have done something different. (IE wheel out from behind the net)

Archived