The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB sends out scouts to watch Swedish Leagues leading scorer - Anton Rodin

TheRussianRocket.

54 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I think any contract that Rodin signs would kick in at the start of next season, so it doesn't matter what our contract limit is this season is... chances are, Rodin signs in the summer after we've left a few guys walk (like Blair Jones, Ludwig Bromstrand, Adam Cracknell, and Joesph Labate).

But as another poster said, even if he we signed him in season (unlikely) we are only at the 46 contract mark because of Brisebois sliding deal.

Can we keep Labate please. I think he has potential. Loved his pre season. 

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Weise trade was stupid as hell. Threw that guy away for NOTHING. Hated it from day one.

I don't recall being very impressed with Weise on a night by night basis. The odd flash but mediocre play for the most part. He seemed to really turn it up in Montreal. 

1 hour ago, RaymondT said:

I don't recall being very impressed with Weise on a night by night basis. The odd flash but mediocre play for the most part. He seemed to really turn it up in Montreal. 

Torts didn't like him.

Willie would have made him a star.:P He was a WD type of player. Speed, grit, compete and skill.

11 hours ago, RaymondT said:

It was difficult for any 4th line player to get anything going under Torts....They barely saw the ice...Torts played the hell out of the 2 top lines in his brief tenure here (which as we saw, was unsustainable...by the end of January it was all over).

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Too bad Rodin is done for the year. Would have been great for his development and confidence to finsigh off the season at a high level of play. 

Guess we'll see him in the summer I guess. 

That's my one big worry about him. He's already small. Like 175-180 pounds. Give him 10 weeks off for the injury then his offseason is spent getting back to form. He won't come here on a 2 way deal so if Nucks don't hand him a 1 way, he'll stay over there. Then we have a small winger who hasn't played in like 4 or 5 months and not at all on American sized ice in a couple years. If he does end up here I don't expect him to be a huge factor for at least a year.But maybe he'll surprise.

Just now, Boddy604 said:

That's my one big worry about him. He's already small. Like 175-180 pounds. Give him 10 weeks off for the injury then his offseason is spent getting back to form. He won't come here on a 2 way deal so if Nucks don't hand him a 1 way, he'll stay over there. Then we have a small winger who hasn't played in like 4 or 5 months and not at all on American sized ice in a couple years. If he does end up here I don't expect him to be a huge factor for at least a year.But maybe he'll surprise.

Yeah, I don't think too many people would expect him to be a huge factor no matter injured or not. We know what we have in him. He's been here before, he's played for our minor league team. It's not like this guy is the next Panarin. If he can stick as 2nd line Wing and chip in around 15 goals it's a success. 

And yeah, he won't come on a 2 way contract, nor should he. Give him a $1.5 mill 1 year contract + bonuses. Not much risk there. We know he's a great skater and good puck handler. It's not easy to score in the SEL, that's a very good league over there and this kids leading them in scoring. You gotta give him a shot. 

Anyone have his penalty minutes?  Not that we need a goon but we definitely don't need another soft Swede.  From what I have seen in the international scene the Europeans have really toughened up their play physically and are not backing down when provoked, etc.

On 1/30/2016 at 0:38 AM, WHL rocks said:

Yeah, I don't think too many people would expect him to be a huge factor no matter injured or not. We know what we have in him. He's been here before, he's played for our minor league team. It's not like this guy is the next Panarin. If he can stick as 2nd line Wing and chip in around 15 goals it's a success. 

And yeah, he won't come on a 2 way contract, nor should he. Give him a $1.5 mill 1 year contract + bonuses. Not much risk there. We know he's a great skater and good puck handler. It's not easy to score in the SEL, that's a very good league over there and this kids leading them in scoring. You gotta give him a shot. 

If he is signed, does anyone know whether or not he is waiver exempt? He played two previous seasons in the AHL. Wouldn't that mean he has one more year of waiver exemption? Kenins is of a similar age and he is currently waiver protected. I think that could be a big factor in whether he is signed. If he can be moved up and down from Utica, it makes him a more valuable piece for the organization.

Archived