The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB sends out scouts to watch Swedish Leagues leading scorer - Anton Rodin

TheRussianRocket.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/10/canucks-send-scouts-to-watch-swedish-leagues-leading-scorer/

Anton Rodin still wants to play in the NHL.

Anton who?

Oh, right, most of you have no idea who that is. Rodin was drafted 53rd overall by the Canucks in 2009. He spent a few seasons in the AHL before returning to Sweden in 2013.

And why is this relevant today?

Well, because Rodin’s currently ripping up the Swedish Hockey League with Brynäs IF. The24-year-old winger has 10 goals and 14 assists in 16 games, and the Canucks have taken notice.

“We have scouts over there this week watching him,” GM Jim Benning told the Vancouver Sun. “I might try to get over there in early February. We still own his rights so we could sign him and bring him back if that’s what we decide.”

But?

“He is not going to want to sign a contract at this stage to come and play in the American league. We have to make the determination first if he makes this team and where we think he is going to fit on our team.”

Rodin told News 1130 in Vancouver that his “goal is to play for the Canucks,” so the NHL dream remains alive and well. If Vancouver doesn’t see a fit, his rights could always be traded to a team that does.

This would be a nice little change of fortune if we could get Rodin back for next year. Remember his time with the organization well. Just happened to be on a very low scoring Wolves team at the time that wasn't settled in. Rodin is a goal scorer so it wasn't the greatest of fits. 

Leaving NA to go back to the homeland is probably the best choice he's made. Clearly has helped his development and he's slowly but steadily progressed into the player he should be. Would be a nice middle 6 scoring winger to have, especially if Vrbata leaves, to begin next season. Hears to hoping this snowballs to the point where he's in Vancouver training come Summer time :)

Well, it's really going to depend in what Benning sees I think. If Rodin looks promising to him then great as Rodin's already expressed wanting to go back to the Canucks. If Benning doesn't like what he sees, well at least he's given him a look.

Its tough say how a player who is tearing up the Swedish league would do in the NHL..(I'll be honest,I'm a bit skeptical)....It seems like he is a late bloomer...Regardless,he could be a surprise prospect (like Hutton) that exceeds initial expectations...

If he did come back and succeed, it would make for a cool story at least.

His board play and physical game is still pretty weak according to some people who watch his games. He'd need to get prime pp minutes if he came over and be sheltered a bit. I think it's either him or Baertschi, can't have those 2 and Shinkaruk on the team.

Let's hope Baertshci has read the article

His board play and physical game is still pretty weak according to some people who watch his games. He'd need to get prime pp minutes if he came over and be sheltered a bit. I think it's either him or Baertschi, can't have those 2 and Shinkaruk on the team.

If they impress at the NHL level but seem redundant, at least you can turn them into other pieces via trade.  Its better than just falling off the face of the earth and getting nothing.

Its tough say how a player who is tearing up the Swedish league would do in the NHL..(I'll be honest,I'm a bit skeptical)....It seems like he is a late bloomer...Regardless,he could be a surprise prospect (like Hutton) that exceeds initial expectations...

Derek Ryan, Jori Lehtera, Melker Karlsson, Carl Soderberg, Pierre-Eduard Bellemare, and Steve Moses are all recent examples of players who tore up the SEL/SHL, and then came over to NA to find at least moderate success.

Nobody should expect Rodin to become an NHL all-star, but middle-6 winger is certainly a strong possibility.

Derek Ryan, Jori Lehtera, Melker Karlsson, Carl Soderberg, Pierre-Eduard Bellemare, and Steve Moses are all recent examples of players who tore up the SEL/SHL, and then came over to NA to find at least moderate success.

Nobody should expect Rodin to become an NHL all-star, but middle-6 winger is certainly a strong possibility.

This post^^^^ should get two minutes for embellishment.  I'd hardly call Ryan and Moses being in the minors, Bellemare being a fringe 3rd liner getting 12-13 minutes TOI moderate success.  Lehtera, Karlsson and Soderberg - sure, modest success. 

But here's to hoping that Rodin gets back to Vancouver and makes a strong case for himself on the Canucks roster.

In the Rodin thread I pretty much said I find it unlikely we'll ever see him in a Canucks uniform.  I'd like to be wrong but I find it more likely we see him as part of a package trade with one of or a combination of Hammer, Higgins, Vrbata a mid round pick or B prospect such as Jensen to try and net us that top 4 D prospect we really need.

I'd like to be wrong and see him enter our org again and be a top or middle 6 contributor but I won't hold my breath as right now his value is possibly higher than it might ever be simply based on point production in the SEL.

i was actually surprised with his physical play when he was with the Wolves. He absolutely crushed some guy in one gaame i was watching

Archived