The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans have suffered the most, says Hockey News

Armada

I think the first one never ended. 

You are correct.  The never ending story of the Nucks.  My father passed away without getting to see them win a cup and I am starting to think I will also expire before that happens.  Maybe my kids...or grand kids will see it.

You are correct.  The never ending story of the Nucks.  My father passed away without getting to see them win a cup and I am starting to think I will also expire before that happens.  Maybe my kids...or grand kids will see it.

we're going to get into Cubs/Red Sox territory before we win one I think.

what a crop of bologna poop....i've been a fan since day 1 and if i suffered like this joker says, i wouldn't still be watching this team....i know that the players give us their efforts ever game.....like any other team...cups are prizes that are hard to get...our guys try hard every year...that's good enough for me.

Yeyyyyy...let's give everyone a participation ribbon.

I don't know that anyone but the fans themselves can talk of their pain and suffering.

And let's face it, we have a variety of things outside of hockey to lift our spirits...not sure someone in Saskatchewan or Winnipeg wouldn't qualify as suffering through winters a little more than those of us on the Wet Coast.  We have a variety of teams/sports to watch as well as a mild climate that allows for a lot of activity.

I do find that, as a longtime fan, the tides are turning and it isn't as easy for me to get to a game.  In the past, it wasn't such a hot ticket item and it was more affordable so, in that regard (overall game cost), we certainly do suffer.  It costs upwards of $200 by the time you park, grab a pop or beer, etc.  Some teams' fans have it fairly easy on the wallet and can still afford to go as a family but that isn't the case here for many.

But I know that's not the gist of this...what I can say is that there has been some great hockey to be excited about.  Sure, the overall "prize" has not yet been attained, but it'll just be that much sweeter.  I don't know that in an overall life perspective, fans of teams with cups (some long ago) are any happier.  It's a passing thing....a fleeting moment, but doesn't really carry over.

Life is what you make it.....if I experience "suffering" over sports then I'm really missing the point.  To be truthful, sports has helped me THROUGH some suffering and misery by being a distraction from that.  Win or lose, I can count on a game to lift my spirits in that I look forward to it.  Try going through a loved one's excruciatingly painful death and then tell me that this is "suffering".  It's anything but.

Well just reading CDC for long enough will show evidence that many fans feel the league's against Vancouver. The stats provided in the article does explain the paranoia a bit.

It's even more unfortunate when you consider Vancouver's one of the league's highest money makers....

I think it truly depends how closely you follow the team and how happy you are with the rest of your life in general. If you have a crappy life by your own perception, and sports is the only or biggest thing that you cling to as a positive piece of your identity ie; being a hardcore fan of a team or player.

Sports is supposed to entertaining, fun, and enjoyable, It shouldn't feel like a chore to watch or to follow out of necessity.

I think people take too much pride in supporting loser teams and criticizing band wagon fans or fair weather fans.

Personally I believe you should pick a good team to cheer for or watch and try to pick a good game so you don't worry about the result of the game.

Besides some franchises in terms of the sports world are cursed. They will never win in 50 years or more. They just don't have the luck needed and everything that needs to come together to win a championship.

I think it's best to watch for fun so you don't get mad when your team loses more often than not and not take these games too seriously. Like people have said at the end of the day sports are just games there are far more important things in life to spend time on and worry about unless you are paid to cover this stuff which I'm sure most of us would do for free.

Any team has its ups and downs throughout their existence.  Some have it longer than others.  Like in our lives we go through phases of good, bad and ugly.  The Hockey News is just pointing out the phases in the History of the Canucks where fans don't want to visit and using it to show how the fans suffer.  These can be good learning tools for Canucks management in how they assess the team's weakness and address the issues. 

Fans suffer because those who are managing the team and the players themselves are not working together in harmony.

This guy is full of shyte.  He's trying to make the Laffs fans feel better about their POS team.

The Canucks have been in the league since 1970... since then they have been to three Cup Finals... with two of them going to 7 games.

What have the Leafs done in that time period?  Any Finals?  Nope.

As far as I'm concerned, going to the Finals is a good thing...  better than continually missing the playoffs.

I'll take being a Canucks fan over being a Laffs fan any day.

These numbers will only affect those that don't understand that losing is part of all sports. Even though the Canucks have never won a cup, we have come glaringly close in the last 6 years, and that is something to be very proud of believe it or not.

Truthfully, losing with integrity and decency is part of being a good fan. And far too often, people get too caught up in history and rivalry because it's much more emotional.

I found there to always be a level of uninspiring fans that have a very hard time enjoying a game that doesn't result in their favorite team winning every time. Not just Canucks fans of course, but usually these particular types also happen to have trouble seeing the finer subtitles and true skill of the sport.

The final numbers aren't the only fun part.

Getting there is the more interesting aspect to follow and recognize.

(The fashion which got us there in 2011 is a high bar to set... especially at the moment.. but the future is looking very bright again!)

Interesting read.  Top 15 NHL teams that were held back by bad goaltending.

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-15-teams-that-should-have-won-a-stanley-cup-but-were-held-back-by-bad-goaltending/?utm_source=TS-FB-B&utm_medium=Facebook-Distribution&utm_campaign=TS-FB-B

So sad, we make the list 2 times.

#11 on the list: 2000-2004 Canucks.  We had the WCE Express being one of the top lines in the game; however, we were held back by Dan Cloutier.  The Steve Moore/Bertuzzi incident didn't help that year either.  Not sure if we were good enuff to win it all, but definitely should have had some better playoff runs.  Too bad Burkie didn't go out and get a better goalie.  Not sure why they kept going with Clouts no matter how many times he failed.

#1 on the list: 2011 Canucks.  I'd agree with that one.  Lou couldn't/didn't deliver on those final few games vs the Bs.

Archived