The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

After hot start, we're 4-10

D-Money

The Canucks are simply playing like they should be with their roster. I didn't expect them to make the playoffs at the start of the year, and I still don't now. The D core is horrendous. No other way to put it. It is basically:

Edler(Top 4)-Tanev(Top 3)

Hamhuis(Regressed to top 6)-Sbisa(Fringe Top 6)

Hutton(Top 6, will be top 4 one day.)-Bartkowski(Depth D)

Weber(AHL D)

2 Top 4 D, 3 Top 6, and a depth D make up our top 6, as well as an AHLer for our 7th D. Weber doesn't belong in the NHL, he's Aaron Rome 2.0. Hutton's only going to improve, but Hamhuis and Edler are only going to get worse. You simply cannot win with the attrocious D core we have. It needs a major overhaul ASAP.

good summary.

I think there forward lines are imbalanced with Sutter getting injured.

Put burr with the twins and Hansen and Higgins with Bo. This immediately gives us two solid lines. they know how to defend the lead.

Then try Baer-McCann-Vrbata as the secondary scoring line, give them 12-14 minutes a night.

Virtanen-Crack-Dorsett to round out the fourth line.

i agree 100 % with your post and like your lines... Sutter just oozes intangibles and truculence, missin him right now

Fans about to realize this team has entered rebuild stage, this is how it will be for a while. Hopefully we win the Austin Mathews sweepstakes or Chychrun would  be great as well, I'll take either or. 

We're not bottom of the NHL bad. 

Fans about to realize this team has entered rebuild stage, this is how it will be for a while. Hopefully we win the Austin Mathews sweepstakes or Chychrun would  be great as well, I'll take either or. 

Well, Anaheim and Calgary exist.

Remember when we used to dominate the Eastern Conference? But to be fair hasn't Dallas lost to the Leafs twice this year?

Makes me feel better that the best team in the west can't beat the Leafs. Actually, that makes me terrified.

A couple of losses and your back out hey? unreal.

been watching this game for 4 decades, I know when a team is entering rebuild. you can live in your fantasy world all you want, I chose to stay in reality.

So.....With a rebuild there is a tear down. When and how did this happen? We still have our core players. We have been trading,releasing, drafting and signing different players for years. Contracts do not all run out at the same time. How can you clump an entire franchise into one simple word as "rebuild"? Don't think its as simple as you think.

And you think one player at the draft is going to be the saviour? Who is living in the fantasy world?

Should this really be a big surprise tho..? I mean we were supposed to be a bottom feeder team this year and all summer long there was not a whole lot of opptimism, we were being predicted to be a bottom feeder... now there are far too many teams much worse off than us for us to fall that far but this aint a good team by any means.

The hot start was just that..ppl get their expectations up but they sure have come back down to earth now. I wouldnt be surprised to see us with a top ten pick this year.. oh well. It needs to happen anyways.

The Canucks are simply playing like they should be with their roster. I didn't expect them to make the playoffs at the start of the year, and I still don't now. The D core is horrendous. No other way to put it. It is basically:

Edler(Top 4)-Tanev(Top 3)

Hamhuis(Regressed to top 6)-Sbisa(Fringe Top 6)

Hutton(Top 6, will be top 4 one day.)-Bartkowski(Depth D)

Weber(AHL D)

2 Top 4 D, 3 Top 6, and a depth D make up our top 6, as well as an AHLer for our 7th D. Weber doesn't belong in the NHL, he's Aaron Rome 2.0. Hutton's only going to improve, but Hamhuis and Edler are only going to get worse. You simply cannot win with the attrocious D core we have. It needs a major overhaul ASAP.

I think this is a pretty good summary of the D, although maybe a bit tough. I agree that the Canucks do not have a legitimate top pairing D combination right now -- and that is the big reason why they are struggling on special teams right now. We don't have a big shot from the point, as Edler seems to be unable to get his shot through traffic. But, by any measure, Tanev and Edler were a legitimate top pairing last year (not great, but legitimate) and there is no reason they cannot return to that form. I think part of the problem, especially with Sutter out, is not enough support down low from the center position. Crackell is a borderline NHL at best, Horvat is struggling this year, McCann is a young guy with lots of potential but he is not strong down low. And Henrik is still a very good player but he is also not that strong down low. So without Sutter there is a lot of pressure on the D and it shows.

I think Hammer is still a borderline top 4 D (although I think the road trip has tired him out right now).

I think that down the road both Hutton and Pedan will be very good. And Edler should be able to perform at a high level for several years. He was excellent last year and there is no reason to believe he is into age-related decline. In fact, he has had a some really good games this year as well. Sbisa is at least a decent bottom pairing guy and I think Tanev is very good. Those 5 guys should make a good core for next year and the year after. I admit we need one more good top 4  to have a really good D overall. I would not mind seen the Canucks trade Hammer at the deadline and get him back as a free agent in the summer.

Archived