The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Another loss...now 7-7-6

TheRussianRocket.

2 minutes ago, JV77 said:
User Actions
  Follow
ARI1KWix_bigger.jpegBrad Ziemer@BradZiemer

The #Canucks have 7 wins in first 20 games. Last time they had fewer wins was way back in 1997-98 when they were 4-13-3 thru first 20

7 wins in 20 games and many call this team a .500 hockey team.  A loss is a loss. This team has walked off the ice only 7 times with a W in the books.  More like a .35 hockey team and they looked like it tonight.

4 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

anyone figure out why this team is doing so bad ever since Higgins returned? They look stale, unexciting before Higgin the kids were flying they were skating miles cheating making plays, wtf happen 

Getting vets back just means Willie can lean on the same stale core that has been failing us for years.

Until his options are taken away we're going to be given the same lame effort night after night.

I've always said, I'd rather play fast and exciting hockey and lose, than the slow stale heartless hockey we've seen.

The fans are speaking with their wallets though, so I don't really need to say anything.

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Generalize much?  Air pretty thin up there where you live? 

I lived through all those years as well.  Doesn't mean I have to sit by and be silent about a team that is under-performing.  It sounds like you and some others are giving the vets a pass.  Maybe they feel the same way you do, that this team isn't good enough so why bother fighting hard. 

If I have to watch these guys lose, I'd at least like to see the enthusiasm the kids bring.  Watching Higgins skate around for 17 minutes and achieve absolutely 0 (shots, hits, take-aways etc.) is not my idea of entertainment.

Did you read the first 5 or 6 pages after this loss in this thread?

Pretty general the lightening of the wagon after another loss.  I'm not giving any vets a pass.  Not giving the coach a pass either.  Not even going to let up off of the rookies.  But i don't think this team is "under performing"  I think this team is where they belong in the standings, we're being passed by other teams that are starting to wake up to the season and we just cannot hang with our current roster to youngfer, faster, larger teams

But the issues of this team are well documented and the needs well catalogued.  So much so that i don't need to get in to them.  everyone else is and will do a fine job of it without me chipping in my 2 cents. Making statements like worst team ever, horrible games, fire the coach.  Kind of silly when some of us lived through the really tough years this team had.  

We know what has to happen, we know where the team needs to go.  We just have to be patient enough to allow for it to happen.  But demanding the firing of the coach and more...well.  Come on man

1 minute ago, Lulover88 said:

we have better management than the oilers had ...   we have better management than the oilers have now ..    while we may be in a rebuild it doesn't mean that we will suck like the oilers have or for as long ..    I truly believe that our g.m has a great eye for the kind of prospects that will give you the best chance of going far in the playoffs ..  he picks winners .. and by that i mean he picks guys who wanna win more than other players do .  

he won't pick the same , soft perimeter players that a steaming dump of a team like the coilers chose  .

benning has shown that already .    prepare for a couple tough years folks .  and then prepare to watch us run over teams that wish they would have hired our g.m  

Yes and that is why he is not going to trade away all the vets. And as for winners, well yes, you can see that already in a guy like Horvath for sure.

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Generalize much?  Air pretty thin up there where you live? 

I lived through all those years as well.  Doesn't mean I have to sit by and be silent about a team that is under-performing.  It sounds like you and some others are giving the vets a pass.  Maybe they feel the same way you do, that this team isn't good enough so why bother fighting hard. 

If I have to watch these guys lose, I'd at least like to see the enthusiasm the kids bring.  Watching Higgins skate around for 17 minutes and achieve absolutely 0 (shots, hits, take-aways etc.) is not my idea of entertainment.

What if the team is not under performing? Vets are a little past their prime and or ineffective, kids are not ready for prime time.

The tricky part is not feeding the kids to the lions just so that some fans feel entertained.  You want bo to be mauled in the face off circle and in shut down roles vs other teams' top players?  You want jake to keep turning over the puck?  It doesnt do much for their confidence and development.

Look at the oilers, top tier talent from junior, really misused and not sheltered.  9 years of no playoffs.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Did you read the first 5 or 6 pages after this loss in this thread?

Pretty general the lightening of the wagon after another loss.  I'm not giving any vets a pass.  Not giving the coach a pass either.  Not even going to let up off of the rookies.

But the issues of this team are well documented and the needs well catalogued.  So much so that i don't need to get in to them.  everyone else is and will do a fine job of it without me chipping in my 2 cents. Making statements like worst team ever, horrible games, fire the coach.  Kind of silly when some of us lived through the really tough years this team had.  

We know what has to happen, we know where the team needs to go.  We just have to be patient enough to allow for it to happen.  But demanding the firing of the coach and more...well.  Come on man

Even long-time fans need to vent. It's too early to make a call on WD but some of his decisions/combinations are rather puzzling.

I honestly don't know if any coach could get the vets to up their game for more than a few weeks.  They have basically had the same issues since 2011 which were showcased rather well in last year's loss to Calgary.  Now we have rookies playing alongside that same core group.  It is rather frustrating.

3 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Yes and that is why he is not going to trade away all the vets. And as for winners, well yes, you can see that already in a guy like Horvath for sure.

I think benning realizes that no one wins when you create a culture of losing ..  its why he brought in miller ..    he wants these guys to feel like they have a chance to win  every night .    I won't be shocked to see a couple vets that can fetch us some good picks and prospects go though .   if your on the outside looking in you gotta sell ..

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

As bad as we are, games at hand aside we are still only 5 points out of 2nd in the western conference.

Its still early, there is so much more season to play.

The panic is unwarranted. 

or 8 points out of last overall.  Good thing we had a hot start to the year.

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

What if the team is not under performing? Vets are a little past their prime and or ineffective, kids are not ready for prime time.

The tricky part is not feeding the kids to the lions just so that some fans feel entertained.  You want bo to be mauled in the face off circle and in shut down roles vs other teams' top players?  You want jake to keep turning over the puck?  It doesnt do much for their confidence and development.

Look at the oilers, top tier talent from junior, really misused and not sheltered.  9 years of no playoffs.

I don't want a team of all rookies which would probably result in what you say. What I want is better group of vets to shelter and tutor the kids.  I am not thrilled that our youth are learning to play the NHL game the way our current crop of core vets does.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Despite being last in the league the Oilers actually play entertaining hockey.

I'm starting to forget what that's like.

Absolutly. I remember last year on HNIC, the Edmonton fans booing the team as it walked past them on the way to the dressing room.  Sometimes entertaining hockey is not enough. Maybe it's the 10 years of losing that makes fans so sour.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I agree. Seems like we have a team struggling to find an identity. On one hand, we have a coach who can't afford to lose and learn, but on the other hand we have young players who need to learn from their mistakes. Bad spot for Willie D to be in, but it seems like having it both ways is not an option.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't want a team of all rookies which would probably result in what you say. What I want is better group of vets to shelter and tutor the kids.  I am not thrilled that our youth are learning to play the NHL game the way our current crop of core vets does.

Agree...

I think getting Sutter back will help.Bo can be demoted and sheltered, hes only 20.  Sutter can win draws in the PK role.

My opinion is that the biggest hole right now is the D.  Solid D really covers up a lot of problems..these guys are like key stone cops back there.  Most of them arent physical enough to bump opposing players off of the puck.  They generate very little offence...too many bad decisions.  Dont know how much we can blame willie for their brain farts or bad positioning.

I think most sensible people who follow hockey predicted this for the Nucks. We over achieved last season and we've been slowly downgrading our D every season since 2011. This year is all about integrating the young players, living with their mistakes in order to allow them to take a step forward next year. There is a lot to be excited for in terms of the future and the sooner we embrace that this season is a write off and gain assets for the upcoming draft, the better.

Hamhuis is a shell of his former self and needs to be moved for a late first while he is still highly regarded league wide. Not doing so would be a massive blunder of epic proportions from management. He is still a more than capable top 4 D but he is no longer capable of carrying a pairing on his own

Just now, y-ote' said:

I agree. Seems like we have a team struggling to find an identity. On one hand, we have a coach who can't afford to lose and learn, but on the other hand we have young players who need to learn from their mistakes. Bad spot for Willie D to be in, but it seems like having it both ways is not an option.

Yea, that's a good analysis.

It's kind of ironic because Willie was brought in because of his ability to get the most out of young players, yet he seems to be so focused on winning that he seems unwilling to roll four lines.

This team was always going to be a team that needed all four lines going to have success. As soon as the coach shortens the bench it's game over. The Sedins aren't 28 anymore, they can't be expected to score all of our goals.

Until the coach lets the rookies loose, for better or for worse, we're going to keep seeing the same results.

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's only good to keep vets that are setting good examples for the kids IMO.

The Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, Prust, and Dorsett are great leaders for the young guys.

Higgins, Hamhuis, Vrbata, and Weber can all go. I would throw in Edler and Miller, but I don't think they'll be going till next year at least.

No definitely I would keep some vets (Sedins) etc. Im just saying that its common that vets are traded for picks or prospects

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Agree...

I think getting Sutter back will help.Bo can be demoted and sheltered, hes only 20.  Sutter can win draws in the PK role.

My opinion is that the biggest hole right now is the D.  Solid D really covers up a lot of problems..these guys are like key stone cops back there.  Most of them arent physical enough to bump opposing players off of the puck.  They generate very little offence...too many bad decisions.  Dont know how much we can blame willie for their brain farts or bad positioning.

Can't disagree with your comments on the D. As for WD, all I can say is that with such a weak D core, it is odd that he continues to use the same strategy in games which is to shorten the bench and try to keep the other team from scoring. The less time our team plays in its own end the better.  The kids aren't perfect but they are all fast, hungry and relatively talented.  Give them a chance to win the game by pushing offense in the third.  This team is not built to protect a lead.  May as well go for broke.

Archived