The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Another loss...now 7-7-6

TheRussianRocket.

2 minutes ago, SuperReverb2 said:

We've lost just about every game this year in the exact same way. Shorten the bench in the 3rd, sit the kids (for the most part) and go with the vets. What do we see? A vet coughing up the puck, making a lame pass that gets picked off, making an ill timed line change, or just simply showing that the skills of some of the "go to" vets have eroded to the point that they just don't deserve the ice time they are getting. I mean really! We're loosing already. What have you got to loose my rolling 4 lines for 60 minutes and letting the ice time for the kids and the vets get closer to parity? Yes. We still may loose, but I guarantee you it will be more exciting and less predictable than what were currently getting, AND it will simply be something different. Would like to see "different" for the next 20 games or so.

I realize that it's only 20 games in, but surely JB and TL have to be at least thinking how much longer Wille can go with the same loosing scenario before they have to deal with it?

Agree with the sentiment. I think the next 10 games are telling for this team. Willie is coaching scared. If the next 10 games continue the recent trend then management has to, at least internally, admit it's a building year. That would change the way coach D runs his lines I am sure. 

Just now, dura_mater said:

I've heard Chychrun is suppose to be better than Ekblad.  I realise Matthews will be a great #1 center but I'd take the #1 defenseman.  I can't recall if the Canucks have ever had a #1 defenseman.

What would you call Edler, Jovo, Snepts, Kearns?  No real number one D man!  Really?  Okay, yup.  Not even close to having one.  You're right.  Bang on.  No Cup.  Yup.  Please get Chychrun!

I don't know what the solution to this problem is. There is absolutely zero clutch factor whatsoever on this club and the will to play all 3 periods is non existent. There was no urgency in the 3rd period tonight and the 6 shots on goal sums it up beautifully. I'm a harsh Willie critic and I think he is out of his element in the NHL but you can't fault him entirely when your seasoned vets, aka 'leadership' havent lead by example at all this year especially finding an extra gear when the going gets tough. You can suggest playing the kids more but in all honesty they haven't been all that spectacular on a consistent basis, maybe outside of Hutton, all year long. I guess letting them play and ironing out the wrinkles could help them evolve but it could also hinder development. I hate to say it but Virtanen isn't ready for the show. I see Ehlers out there tonight and I know the classic Virts vs Ehlers vs Nylander debate has been beaten to death but Ehlers was a difference maker and Jake was a non factor yet again. Makes you wonder. 

33 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Grenier or Virtanen makes way more sense the Dorsett Power Play experiment should be done after tonight. I totally get our PP needs a shakeup but Dorsett will never be the answer. 

Didn't watch the game but wtf Dorsett on the PP?

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

on a serious note, willie desjardins is a bad coach at the nhl level.

When you have 6 rookies in your lineup,its a transition year...were not competing for the SC this year..WD is as good a coach as any at this point in the teams development.

WD was an assistant coach for the Dallas Stars, btw,....and had a 101 point season in his first year as an NHL coach...Clearly, a terrible coach..

Sigh...maybe Trevor should suit up, maybe he can instil some emotion and heart into the play (just my frustration showing). Maybe we don't have the skills to play the transition game, or maybe the twins needs a few periods on separate lines (I recall AV did that). I just hope the team works itself out of this trend.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Dear Francesco Aquilini,

Please please just end this fan bases agony and admit that this team is way past its best before date. Just admit that we're in a full rebuild and trade off the necessary pieces in order to make it happen. There's nothing worse than the false hope of thinking we can still be a playoff team. Just put us out of our misery!

This fan base can handle a rebuild. What it can't handle is another 5 years of mediocrity. If you're worried about your wallet, well it's gonna take a hit regardless. Fans have had enough of selling this team as a playoff team only to have another mediocre product put on the ice. Do yourself a favor and save your money on player salaries and invest more in scouting.

This is the first time as a fan that I've had no desire to watch this team any more. I can accept losing, I can accept being beaten by better teams, I can't accept lackluster efforts where the team doesn't even give themselves a chance to win. Last season the team was entertaining and at least worked hard. This season they look like they could care less. And as a fan I'm starting to feel the same way.

All I'm saying,...is that if Benning does not jettison some of these vets at the deadline,and keeps them around for a one and done in the first round...that would piss me off no end.:angry:.I'm sure I'm not alone in that stance.

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

All I'm saying,...is that if Benning does not jettison some of these vets at the deadline,and keeps them around for a one and done in the first round...that would piss me off no end.:angry:.I'm sure I'm not alone in that stance.

I hope that's already been decided by management.

We have guys that can fill in the holes like Grenier, Gaunce, and Pedan.

You never know, these guys may even give us a better effort and make a push for the playoffs.

Yes right now WD is trying to do two things an can only do one. not win is too lose an to try an win is to bench players down the stretch of the third not gonna work he could lose with more dignity if he tried play young guys more an teach an give them some instilled confidence to go out an play not be worried about making one mistake then benching them our porious D does not allow alot of discretion he is in between a rock an a hard place and cannot seem to do both at this moment in time .The result is boys sitting on bench watching slower less skilled players lose a game not sure if watching is a good thing rather than learning on the ice yeah make mistake correct it an continue to evolve an develop it is clear with Jake he has screwed his head space up is not a player looking like a first round top 10 pick.

1 minute ago, bobbyg43 said:

Yes right now WD is trying to do two things an can only do one. not win is too lose an to try an win is to bench players down the stretch of the third not gonna work he could lose with more dignity if he tried play young guys more an teach an give them some instilled confidence to go out an play not be worried about making one mistake then benching them our porious D does not allow alot of discretion he is in between a rock an a hard place and cannot seem to do both at this moment in time .The result is boys sitting on bench watching slower less skilled players lose a game not sure if watching is a good thing rather than learning on the ice yeah make mistake correct it an continue to evolve an develop it is clear with Jake he has screwed his head space up is not a player looking like a first round top 10 pick.

Willie has been given his task by management. It almost seems as if he's rejecting managements wishes.

If Benning wanted to play a team full of vets again he would have re-signed Matthias and Richardson, and not traded Bieksa.

Either Willie adapts to what management wants or I think he'l be finding a new job this summer.

I think it's hard to really judge WD when he's been given a team full of rookies to try and play with. The mess out there on the ice is more a reflection of our management and the team they put together, not how Willie plays their minutes. He doesn't have much of a choice really.

One thing he may be able to control is the on-ice play and multiple turnovers. The fact that everyone's doing them, not just vets or rookies, indicates a bigger-picture problem that the coaching staff can hopefully address. Time to change the system a little because it's clearly not working with these players we have.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which would we take, the d or the c?

not much of a dreamer but to take the D is the choice. Chychrun  is the guy to go for if in March we are any where near the state to have this luxury of picking such a player ,I doubt not with the luck of the franchise started with a wheel I cannot see it happening anytime soon we are still too much of a middling team injurys rookie vets et all .But it is nice to plan for in the event we reach that point.

4 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

not much of a dreamer but to take the D is the choice. Chychrun  is the guy to go for if in March we are any where near the state to have this luxury of picking such a player ,I doubt not with the luck of the franchise started with a wheel I cannot see it happening anytime soon we are still too much of a middling team injurys rookie vets et all .But it is nice to plan for in the event we reach that point.

The Canucks are only 7 points up of last place Edmonton with Chicago, New Jersey, Minny, Dallas and Anaheim up next.

It's very possible we could be last in the league in a couple weeks.

Archived