The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal is "all in" looking to "go for it", want to add a forward

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

Yea cause Jordan Staal is as good as either Daniel or Henrik Sedin.. Eric Staal is 10x better than Jordan.

Well if he is then he's going to need to prove that, because he's been far from it for the past year or 2. While his team could be partially to do with it, 2 years is a long time to be in a slump....

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well if he is then he's going to need to prove that, because he's been far from it for the past year or 2. While his team could be partially to do with it, 2 years is a long time to be in a slump....

I will also add that Jordan and Eric don't even play together because they are both centres. Eric's linemates are laughable. Lindholm and Versteeg; doesn't matter who you are you're going to struggle to put up more than .5 points per game playing against other teams top lines with that trash.

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I will also add that Jordan and Eric don't even play together because they are both centres. Eric's linemates are laughable. Lindholm and Versteeg; doesn't matter who you are you're going to struggle to put up more than .5 points per game playing against other teams top lines with that trash.

Actually, they have been playing together on the same line a lot.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/hurricanes-open-with-staal-staal-staal-line-in-home-finale-against-rangers

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/01/19/the-hurricanes-staal-brothers-in-no-hurry-to-be-split-up.html

EDIT: They're also on the same line this year, or at least have been quite a bit from what I gather.

On a side note I noticed that Skinner has been demoted to the 3rd line and is having a terrible season. If he becomes available he is someone I am sure the Canadiens will target. I would hope the Canucks target him too. 23 and already 2 30 goal seasons.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Ah yea so take your franchise number 1 centre who has 2 40+ goal seasons and a 100 point season playing centre and move him to the wing. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Just now, peaches5 said:

Ah yea so take your franchise number 1 centre who has 2 40+ goal seasons and a 100 point season playing centre and move him to the wing. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

lol I knew you were going to say that. 

It's one of those situations really where we'll find out if he can get back to form or not on a new team. He could, as he's only 31, but he's not going to be worth as much as he once was, especially with his current cap hit.  He might be appealing as a rental though for a team with the cap space.

Just now, The Lock said:

lol I knew you were going to say that. 

It's one of those situations really where we'll find out if he can get back to form or not on a new team. He could, as he's only 31, but he's not going to be worth as much as he once was, especially with his current cap hit.  He might be appealing as a rental though for a team with the cap space.

Obviously not? When did I say he was worth what he was? I said Montreal should go after him because he is pending UFA and it seems like Carolina wants to trade him. Even the way he is playing now he is an upgrade over their current centres.

Just now, peaches5 said:

Obviously not? When did I say he was worth what he was? I said Montreal should go after him because he is pending UFA and it seems like Carolina wants to trade him. Even the way he is playing now he is an upgrade over their current centres.

And when did I say that you said that?

Overreact much?....

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Puck Daddy on Yahoo sports( on cell phone) can't post link, speculation about Montreal trading for rental Stamkos.  Interesting 

It starts with Galchenyuk and probably Tokarski.

That would be dumb of Montreal. He could walk and sign with Toronto at the end of the season.

10 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Puck Daddy on Yahoo sports( on cell phone) can't post link, speculation about Montreal trading for rental Stamkos.  Interesting 

Yeah I was just reading that. It's one of those skeevy baiting Lambert articles, but the sources are Friedman and McKenzie:

Bob McKenzie was on Toronto’s TSN 1050 on Tuesday afternoon.

As part of a larger discussion on the future of Steven Stamkos, and how likely he would see a Stamkos-to-Toronto scenario play out if Stamkos were to become a free agent:

“Well, again, I’ll use the needle analogy. If the needle is pointing either towards the Toronto Maple Leafs or let’s call it ‘the field’ – that’s everybody except for Tampa – I would probably say it’s pointing more towards the field than Toronto. But that doesn’t preclude the possibility of Toronto.

“But I think – listen, no one knows for sure… We’re all just pie-in-the-sky dreaming a little bit.

“Having said that… I know Steven Stamkos a little bit and I would think the thing that fuels Steven Stamkos more than his hometown is he wants to win. More than money. More than anything. And I know that money is always important and it’s always a factor, but I think what Steven Stamkos wants more than anything else is to play on a team where he believes he’s a key cog in a championship bid and with a reasonable chance to win and win fairly soon. He’s not old, by any stretch. But he’s not young either. I mean, we’ve seen the NHL get younger and younger and younger all the time. So at age 25, I think he’s got plenty of tread left on the tires.

“But that said, he was in the Stanley Cup Final last year and came up short. I think what motivates him is to win Stanley Cups. And as I say, I don’t know that that precludes Toronto necessarily, because if you look far enough down the road – whether it’s three years, four years, five years – and you look at Mike Babcock and his track record, and some of the young players the Leafs have got, I guess you could talk yourself into a scenario where within a reasonable amount of time maybe that could happen in the next five years.

“But I’ve got to be honest with you. If I were Steven Stamkos – so I’ll put my sensibilities on him – I would look at the Montreal Canadiens and say, ‘Wow. There’s a good team. P.K. Subban, a guy I grew up with. Know him real well. That looks like a team that could win and boy, wouldn’t it be fun to play hockey in Montreal.’

“Because that element of Steven Stamkos that we’re talking about, that makes Toronto an attractive thing because it’s his hometown – I mean, a lot of the same things would apply to – imagine being a real good player, and maybe the missing piece of the puzzle, on the Montreal Canadiens in Montreal to put the Canadiens possible over the top in their bid to win a Cup.

“I mean, what about the Nashville Predators? If Steven Stamkos went to the Nashville Predators with that defense and goaltending and his good buddy James Neal. Could he be a difference-maker there to put somebody over the top?

“So I think if he gets to free agency – and as I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he does, but I couldn’t say that unequivocally – I think there are going to be a lot of players, and a lot of potential landing spots for Steven Stamkos. And the motivation for him, first and foremost, is going to be a chance to win a Cup, and win it sooner rather than later. And that’s not to say that the city and the money and who he knows on the team, and who coaches the team, what position he’ll play – all of those things come in as factors.

“But ultimately, this is a kid that wants to win a Stanley Cup.”

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-canadiens-predators-may-be-attractive-to-stamkos/

6. During the last week, I fiddled around with some potential trades for Stamkos, should it come to that. You know what made a lot of sense? Montreal.

That’s right up Marc Bergevin’s alley, going for it with the best possible rental. Stamkos, who has a no-move, would probably agree to play with old friendP.K. Subban. But can you see Steve Yzerman sending him to a potential postseason opponent? Me neither.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-why-the-jets-face-painful-personnel-choices/

7 minutes ago, sonoman said:

If you read the article he pretty much discredits the rumour and gives it a 4 out of 5 on his "bs metre"  

23 minutes ago, Yotes said:

vrbata and prust for juulsen

So many things wrong with this proposal from Montreal's standpoint 

1) they have $1.2m in cap space but you're sending them $7.5m in cap hit

2) they traded away Prust because he wasn't needed in Montreal. His game went downhill last season and has continued in that direction with the Canucks. Why would they want him back? 

3) can you find one instance in the past where a team traded away the player they picked in the 1st round in the same season? Let alone for a rental?  

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

2) they traded away Prust because he wasn't needed in Montreal. His game went downhill last season and has continued in that direction with the Canucks. Why would they want him back? 

3) can you find one instance in the past where a team traded away the player they picked in the 1st round in the same season? Let alone for a rental?  

Pretty much this. Except that Prust really hasn't been bad with the Canucks this season. 7pts in 21 games is pretty decent production for a fighter/forth line winger. Puts him on pace for 20+ points and top 5 for fights which is pretty well exactly what he's expected to do. 

34 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Higgins was a regular 20 goal scorer with the Habs

Maybe a trade could rekindle that majik he once had and turn the habs into cup contenders. :blink:

Ancient history. Semin was a 30 goal scorer and now he's out of the league. What Higgins did eight years ago in Montreal is meaningless. 

And montreal is already a cup contender. Adding an aging 3rd liner isn't the missing piece 

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Prust has decent stats this year for us. Kapanen was traded to toronto for Kessel within a year or so wasnt he? Also didnt know their cap situation, so we could retain cap if the return was good.

we need to move out these ufa;s this team is in need of fresh blood get the older player out and try to get picks and prospects back.

Prust is also good for the playoffs, every year they get more physical and you need that grit, he may not play every game even but injuries will occur and depth is huge for a playoff run.

I get your points dont get me wrong

Archived