The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal is "all in" looking to "go for it", want to add a forward

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Ancient history. Semin was a 30 goal scorer and now he's out of the league. What Higgins did eight years ago in Montreal is meaningless. 

And montreal is already a cup contender. Adding an aging 3rd liner isn't the missing piece 

I was hoping that emoticon would display my sarcasm 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

A 2nd. And it was when Vrbata was really struggling and Vancouver was in need of a right handed defenceman. 

fair enough. I was going by memory. Obviously I'm aged. Are you suggesting the price would be different now?

The 2nd would be ok but clearly that's not going to be the target of the Canucks without a quality other piece, and that isn't/never was Gilbert. I can't see any possible way Montreal adds anybody for their top 6 with that offer  

As with other posters, I believe if Montreal wants another team to take Gilbert to clear cap then they'd need to sweeten. Maybe they go shopping somewhere else but that deal won't be the best the Canucks get. 

5 minutes ago, theminister said:

fair enough. I was going by memory. Obviously I'm aged. 

The 2nd would be ok but clearly that's not Hong to be the target of the Canucks without a quality other piece, and that isn't/never was Gilbert. I can't see any possible way Montreal adds anybody for their top 6 with that offer  

As with other posters, I believe if Montreal wants another team to take Gilbert to clear cap then they'd need to sweeten. Maybe they go shopping somewhere else but that deal won't be the best the Canucks get. 

My original intention with that offer was to illustrate an actual hockey deal. Something that took the cap and both teams needs into consideration. In that the deal works. Value wise it's off because as you say Gilbert isn't an overly attractive piece. But statue time Vrbata was on pace for less than 30 points so he wasn't looking overly valuable either. 

My original point remains. Any trade that happens is going to be a hockey deal. Each team has holes they need filled and neither has an abundance of cap space. 

7 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

More like a 1st line winger for a second liner and a young dman. 

He's still a rental and Beaulieu has been getting top line minutes with Subban in recent games. I seriously doubt Montreal would even trade Beaulieu for Vrbata straight up.  Let alone adding in Eller 

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see Vrbata and Jordan Subban for Juulson.  

I would like that too.  I feel watching Linden on CBC that management actually believes they have a chance this season.  I don't see them making a move until deadline time because reality will have set in by then.  All I know is that Benning better trade or resign Hamhuis and Vrbata, because losing them for nothing is not an option!

Archived