The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal is "all in" looking to "go for it", want to add a forward

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

If Montreal was all in they would do:

Galenchuck + Juulsen + 1st + cap dump for Johansen

The only thing they don't exactly have is a big powerful top 2 centerman and that's what Johansen is and this is a fair trade (that 1st is likely 30th OA)

Really? I assume you mean Galchenyuk, and that kid is a hell of a player. Him and practically 2 first round picks?  Then they also loose their best player in the 2nd line. Doesn't help with the scoring at all. Bad bad trade.

Vbrata + 2nd for Juulsen?

He was a 25th overall pick, Vbrata is essentially worth a 1st rounder but what the heck, give them a 2nd as well. Everyone says Juulsen's untouchable but that's a pretty good deal for the Habs. They basically move down 10 spots in the draft because of Vbrata's value as a rental.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎44‎:‎39‎, Crabcakes said:

Baertschi has little value as a piece in a trade.  A player who hasn't proven that he can be a regular in the NHL who cost the Canucks a 2nd, hasn't shown that he is worth that 2nd so he is worth less (probably equivalent to a 3rd or 4th).   He has more value to the Canucks as a Canuck at this point. They're going to develop him and like Vey, is going to get at least a year.  Frankly, if things went according to plan, Vey would be the Canucks 4C right now.  Nobody planned for McCann to make the team.  That was a nice surprise.

As for Coach Green.  That's a giant If.  There has been nothing from anybody with any credibility on this.  It is pure fantasy from various impatient CDC members who have wet their pants over a rough patch in a transition year.  No surprise there.  Don't worry there will be other rough patches.

Totally agree. Baer is worth very little in a trade deal other than as a throw in. He will get at least 40 games to show something and if the Canucks crater then he gets a whole season. That said the clock is ticking on Baer as Shink and Gaunce show more promise in Utica.

Where does BS like Green in Van next year get any traction? Only chance would be a standings tailspin with a obvious zoning out of players to Desjardin's message. By all reports he is liked and respected by the players so I do not see that happening. Do fans really think that Benning and Linden are so out of it that they do not know what Desjardin is up against each game? I do not see these two sacrificing their coach to appease sketchy fan opinion.

22 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Good points, Burrows would not be a corner stone. More of a Recchi in Boston, Roberts in Pitts, etc. A playoff vet that can play anywhere in the lineup in all roles. Depth wins championships. 

You may be correct that they don't see the need, but from my very biased non professional opinion I see a fit. 

Burrows is moveable to a playoff team based on the deal which might mean Van takes some CAP back in exchange for draft pics or a prospect. The deal might be forced by injury in which case the affordability goes up from LTIR.

As you said it would be a sad day but going to the right team would give Bur a CUP shot which he more than deserves. No doubt I would be cheering for him if that is what happened.  

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He was a 25th overall pick, Vbrata is essentially worth a 1st rounder but what the heck, give them a 2nd as well. Everyone says Juulsen's untouchable but that's a pretty good deal for the Habs. They basically move down 10 spots in the draft because of Vbrata's value as a rental.

Just stick with needless Virtanen hate.

If the Canucks hit the brakes on the season well before deadline time, and i doubt that happens, then Vrbata's on the table.  The team needs him too much currently, so he'll probably leave as UFA.  imho

If he's on the table, then there's no need to add in order to trade him.  Typical rental trade scenario involving picks.  

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If the Canucks retain 50% of Vrbata's contract he could fit under their current cap space today. I think retaining cap adds more value and really doesn't mean anything to the Canucks if they do.

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If the Canucks retain 50% of Vrbata's contract he could fit under their current cap space today. I think retaining cap adds more value and really doesn't mean anything to the Canucks if they do.

If JB could get that done, he would be a genius.  

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. Baer is worth very little in a trade deal other than as a throw in. He will get at least 40 games to show something and if the Canucks crater then he gets a whole season. That said the clock is ticking on Baer as Shink and Gaunce show more promise in Utica.

Where does BS like Green in Van next year get any traction? Only chance would be a standings tailspin with a obvious zoning out of players to Desjardin's message. By all reports he is liked and respected by the players so I do not see that happening. Do fans really think that Benning and Linden are so out of it that they do not know what Desjardin is up against each game? I do not see these two sacrificing their coach to appease sketchy fan opinion.

Not unless there is a tailspin that puts the Canucks in last place, well out of a playoff spot. Otherwise, it's business as usual, and Desjardins will fulfill his contract, which I believe is up at the end of next season.

And the optics of firing three coaches in 5 years would be extremely damaging to the Canucks reputation.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not unless there is a tailspin that puts the Canucks in last place, well out of a playoff spot. Otherwise, it's business as usual, and Desjardins will fulfill his contract, which I believe is up at the end of next season.

And the optics of firing three coaches in 5 years would be extremely damaging to the Canucks reputation.

Who did AV replace when he moved up from our AHL affiliate?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't remember either (obviously) but do remember AV was promoted, and knew many of the young guys from coaching them in Manitoba.  I wonder if that has legs now?

For sure it has legs now. As long as Willie makes questionable decisions behind the bench that gain traction in local media, it will, and Travis Green will be in consideration. Not sure why he wasn't considered initially after Tortorella's release.

4 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

If the Canucks hit the brakes on the season well before deadline time, and i doubt that happens, then Vrbata's on the table.  The team needs him too much currently, so he'll probably leave as UFA.  imho

If he's on the table, then there's no need to add in order to trade him.  Typical rental trade scenario involving picks.  

Everything depends on where the Canucks stand at the trade deadline and whether Benning considers himself a buyer or a seller. I don't believe he'll ever classify this team as either, he hasn't in the past, and instead he'd rather make good hockey trades that help the team now but more importantly in the future (see: Kesler deal in particular). He'll be willing to move veterans in conjunction with other assets for young guys who may be able to help this team now.

Vbrata's heating up now and he may still be good for 20ish goals this season but he's very expendable and probably our best asset. Hamhuis being a pending UFA is also a great asset but we REALLY need him on our blueline or it turns to shambles as we've seen when he's out of the lineup this season. Losing Vbrata on the other hand isn't that big a deal, we essentially lose a middle-6 winger who's offensive production has easily been replaced by those around him. Furthermore, we have Shinkaruk and Gaunce lighting up the AHL at the moment, they'll be ready to step into the NHL next year I believe without a doubt. They belong in the big league and really make a couple of our current NHLers expendable.

This is what good teams like the Blackhawks do - they get free or cheap wingers (like Vbrata from UFA), get the most out of him (30 goal season last year), then trade him when he's on a down-slide and have him replaced by a kid who's been growing in the AHL for some time who steps in pretty cheaply and seamlessly fills the void.

Sure, we could sit on Vbrata and enjoy his 10ish goals after the trade deadline, then lose him for nothing, or make this sort of package and nab a valuable player for this team's future. Shinkaruk steps in to replace Vbrata, maybe scores 5 less goals. Is that worth it? I think so.

4 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Linden stated (not verbatim) in an interview that given where the team is (in a retool) they need to either re-sign or get something for expiring assets. If Vrbata/Hammer don't get moved, they're being re-signed IMO.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't remember either (obviously) but do remember AV was promoted, and knew many of the young guys from coaching them in Manitoba.  I wonder if that has legs now?

Wait a minute Alf, Since when did Green become a better option than Willie. 

You know, Willie, the guy who actually WON the Calder Cup, the guy who became the 3rd winningest rookie coach ever in the NHL. (despite horrendous injuries). The guy who was asked to take 3 rookies (two straight from the Juniors) as well as playing 2 "sophomore rookies" into the team (not one of whom was a top 5 pick) and has still managed to keep the team within touching distance of the playoffs after 24 games despite injuries to 3 of their best vets.

Wtf is wrong with CDC? Haul a newbie off the street and tell them he's young and suddenly he is winning cups or having his name hoisted into the rafters. It's a joke.

Archived