The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal is "all in" looking to "go for it", want to add a forward

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

It's called being a fan of your hockey team.

I will continue too cheer for my hockey to make the playoffs until they are mathematically eliminated. 

You may also notice that I said IF they are out of the race come deadline then clearing some vets would be plan B. 

You don't pack it in Dec 1st. 

Certainly you don't, but if you're swimming in the ocean and you see a couple of dorsal fins cutting through the surf, there's a definite chance that the next thing you're seeing is a set of teeth.

20 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Wait a minute Alf, Since when did Green become a better option than Willie. 

You know, Willie, the guy who actually WON the Calder Cup, the guy who became the 3rd winningest rookie coach ever in the NHL. (despite horrendous injuries). The guy who was asked to take 3 rookies (two straight from the Juniors) as well as playing 2 "sophomore rookies" into the team (not one of whom was a top 5 pick) and has still managed to keep the team within touching distance of the playoffs after 24 games despite injuries to 3 of their best vets.

Wtf is wrong with CDC? Haul a newbie off the street and tell them he's young and suddenly he is winning cups or having his name hoisted into the rafters. It's a joke.

Well said. He's going nowhere...

Too bad he can't walk on water...

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

It's called being a fan of your hockey team.

I will continue too cheer for my hockey to make the playoffs until they are mathematically eliminated. 

You may also notice that I said IF they are out of the race come deadline then clearing some vets would be plan B. 

You don't pack it in Dec 1st. 

The Oilers Flames Leafs say hi :lol:

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I want to agree, but this team has an Ottawa like history of holding on to vets and players for no reason and then watching them walk via free agency

We keep playing anything like we did in November and continue to have guys like Sutter out, Tanev banged up etc... I don't think you'll have ANYTHING to worry about.

FIRESALE!!! :lol:

22 minutes ago, Bingo Chili said:

want the sedins to win cup

so talk to them about waving

sedins to mtl for galchenyuk + picks and cap dump

So $14m in cap to Montreal and $2.8m coming back. What cap dump do you suggest that covers the other $11.2m in cap?  Lol 

hold for the deadline, Montreal doesn't need players now to win games, they can hold for maximum cap relief at the deadline.

I'd want to see Burrows go there I think he'd be a nice add to their lineup more so than Vrbata. Nothing against Burrows or not that I want to see him gone but it'd be nice to see him have a 2 year shot at a cup with an actual contending team.

For Vrbata I can see a team like Nashville or maybe even Arizona if they look to have a shot for the playoffs?

39 minutes ago, Retinalz said:

I'd like to  see Vrbata go for Juulsen from MTL. But what would the trade look like?

Bergevin is a smart GM. He's managed to build the team they have without ever giving up a 1st round pick or a significant prospect in any of the trades he's made.  You would have to think their top 3 prospects (McCarron, Sherbak, Juulsen) are all but untouchable. Especially in a deal for a short term rental.  Montreal is also close to the cap, so Vrbata going there doesn't fit without maximum cap retention by Vancouver or a decent amount of cap coming back.  I understand fans wanting to pull a top prospect in return for an expiring asset, but it just doesn't seem realistic to me

Just now, qwijibo said:

Bergevin is a smart GM. He's managed to build the team they have without ever giving up a 1st round pick or a significant prospect in any of the trades he's made.  You would have to think their top 3 prospects (McCarron, Sherbak, Juulsen) are all but untouchable. Especially in a deal for a short term rental.  Montreal is also close to the cap, so Vrbata going there doesn't fit without maximum cap retention by Vancouver or a decent amount of cap coming back.  I understand fans wanting to pull a top prospect in return for an expiring asset, but it just doesn't seem realistic to me

Don't forget TDL deals. also with a window of 2yrs before assets need to be traded or lost he is at the point of dealing.

1 minute ago, Retinalz said:

Don't forget TDL deals. also with a window of 2yrs before assets need to be traded or lost he is at the point of dealing.

Just about every trade Bergevin has made has been foir a player he's been interested in keeping long term, or a trade that reduces the teams cap burden (ie 1 year of Gonchar in exchange for 2 years of Cole).  Bergevin just signed a long term extension.  He has an eye on the teams future as much as their present.  I stand by my stance that he isnt going to trade one of their top 3 prospects for a rental.  They might be on the table for someone who fits his long term plan for the tem. But Vrbata isn't that guy

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Just about every trade Bergevin has made has been foir a player he's been interested in keeping long term, or a trade that reduces the teams cap burden (ie 1 year of Gonchar in exchange for 2 years of Cole).  Bergevin just signed a long term extension.  He has an eye on the teams future as much as their present.  I stand by my stance that he isnt going to trade one of their top 3 prospects for a rental.  They might be on the table for someone who fits his long term plan for the tem. But Vrbata isn't that guy

How about Rental and long term\

Vrbata + Prospect for Juulsen + Tinordi.

The trade Hammer somewhere as well and slot Tinordi in.

24 minutes ago, Retinalz said:

How about Rental and long term\

Vrbata + Prospect for Juulsen + Tinordi.

The trade Hammer somewhere as well and slot Tinordi in.

Honestly? The only way I see Bergevin moving one or more of his top 3 prospects is in a package deal for someone like Simmonds.  Someone who fills a need now and fits into the teams long term plan. 

I don't know why everybody is asking for Tinordi back in a trade. Is everybody aware that he gets scratched more days than not. We have plenty big dmen like him in Sbisa, Pedan and Tryamkin. I'd rather not bring in a 7th dman and call it value when we should just play what we have. Sell Vrbata and Hamhuis to the highest bidder. If Montreal doesn't like the idea of trading 1rsts or decent prospects then other teams will. We see it every year when GM's give 1rsts for players around the quality of Vrbata and Hamhuis.

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Honestly? The only way I see Bergevin moving one or more of his top 3 prospects is in a package deal for someone like Simmonds.  Someone who fills a need now and fits into the teams long term plan. 

You trade prospects for available players. I doubt Simmonds is on the trade block. Vrbata would likely extend 1-2 years as well for MTL.

9 minutes ago, Retinalz said:

You trade prospects for available players. I doubt Simmonds is on the trade block. Vrbata would likely extend 1-2 years as well for MTL.

I said a player like Simmonds. And given Philly's struggles and their cap situation , Simmonds being available for the right package isn't out of the question. The point is Montreal will likely be looking for a player in that age range that fits with their core. Also. Who cares if Vrbata would sign an extension there? Why would Montreal extend a then 35 year old forward who seems to be on the decline for another year or two?  

If you want to believe Bergevin is desperate enough to mortgage the teams future for a rental then by all means. Carry on with your dream. I'm just saying that NOTHING that he's done during his tenure as GM of the Habs suggests he's willing to do so. 

Archived