The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks TV Ratings are down 27%

DonaldBrashear

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

This franchise is in dire need of a sure fire top offensive prospect. They have the Sedins who are exciting but everything after that is a third liner. What makes it worse is the Sedins are getting up there in age and all the Canucks have in the cupboard in terms of prospects are number 2 centres and number 3 defenseman.

I agree.  I gotta say that living in Calgary I have a much maligned exposure to the Flames, however, everytime Gaudreau steps on the ice he seems to make something happen.  Whether it results in a goal or not, he creates an excitement and buzz.  We have nothing like that on our roster aside from the Sedins.  They're a different energy, though.  When other teams shut them down, it is a definite shut down.  Gaudreau still finds ways to create even if he's kept off the scoresheet.

23 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

I agree.  I gotta say that living in Calgary I have a much maligned exposure to the Flames, however, everytime Gaudreau steps on the ice he seems to make something happen.  Whether it results in a goal or not, he creates an excitement and buzz.  We have nothing like that on our roster aside from the Sedins.  They're a different energy, though.  When other teams shut them down, it is a definite shut down.  Gaudreau still finds ways to create even if he's kept off the scoresheet.

Came to post exactly this.

Players like Gaudreau and Kane are perfect complements to the Horvat's and McCann's who play a 200 foot game. They might be invisible for 50 minutes, but are capable of scoring in one moment of brilliance or on one little mistake by the opposition.

We have enough 200 foot prospects now as part of the new core. Hoping somehow, someway, we're able to find our Gaudreau or Kane to join them.

Maybe if there wasn't all these regional blackouts for Sportsnet (Which when they got the deal they said there wasn't going to be any more blackouts).

Living in Saskatoon is very frustrating when i come home from work to find out the Canucks game is blacked out on SNP.

You guys are lucky in BC being able to watch every game.

I have predicted for over 3 years that the roster quality of the Canucks was sinking. A reboot was needed after 2012. It is now underway. As a Canuck fan I watched the Chicago game and enjoyed their effort. Fans have to recognize effort and enjoy signs that their young players are progressing, enjoy the last years of the Twin's era.

What makes me even happier is if Kenans and Pedan get more games. Benning cannot move Weber unless he plays him and I suspect that is the plan.

Rookies: McCann, Hutton, Virtanen, Kenans, Markstrom, Biega     Sophmores: Horvat,   

If in fact McCann ends up at WJC it is a sign that Benning is recognizing reality and will accelerate the rebuild. It would be a big signal to other NHL teams that Van is open to dealing. Necessary pain for long term gain.

12 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

It's boring, though I find most hockey boring these days.  The NHL is killing the game.

Then go watch some Junior hockey. Game is still alive and vital at that level. I agree the NHL has dliluted the game to but a memory of what I was watching years ago. Junior hockey is still a great game and they take fewer nights off as they are playing for more than money. 

14 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Sportsnet seems to be determined to shove him down our throat. Why did they give him an entire intermission to talk about how much he loves Vancouver? Made me want to puke

mess.jpg

After posting on this message board, I don't think Messier deserves the reputation Vancouver fans give him.

Is everyone smoking crack in Vancouver?

As for watching Vancouver - I saw enough against Chicago yesterday.

Time they took some steroids or ate bull testicles or something.

I've seen more aggressive pillow fights.

No one's given them the time and space lecture. Chicago skated around the defending zone like they were on a power play.

The 6-3 win must have been a sympathy loss.

For many people it  has become an accessory like so many other things my car, my cell ,my terrier, my season tickets........ I prefer to watch the games with others I find the emotional investment is heightened. Right or wrong you cant just go down to the pub anymore watch the game and have a beer and drive home.  So I sit in front of the tube alone while my wife plays backgammon on her laptop ...... I am going to eat some worms now

I think it would've helped if the Canucks actually won a Stanley Cup at some point over the last few years. We had a great team for a few seasons and only managed to come close one time surrounded by early disappointments. Now the dark times are looming upon us and fans dont really have anything to look back very fondly on. Some of the greatest Canuck teams we've ever had couldn't finish the job and now we're going to have to wait for who knows how many years to get back to that level where we actually have a legitimate chance. My guess is that a lot of fans are just burned out from waiting.

14 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

How much of a fan favorite do you think he would be after posting these stats

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475663

That trade that you were saying was garbage isn't look so back is it "backtracking Baumerman"

Haha. A little bitter that I was correct about the Canucks this year and you were way off?

Nice strawman by the way, I never said Lack>Miller, in fact I said Miller was likely slightly better. But I said Lack + a 4.5mil player would be a better option for the Canucks than an aging Miller. 

Think everyone who is writing off our prospects this year should be laughed at, if not outright chastised for their terrible opinions.

At any rate, I think a lot of fans don't understand or are underestimating the significance of Sutter being out and the dramatic trickle down effect it is having on secondary scoring.

Our young and inexperienced centers are preoccupied with playing defense and bringing their best effort game in and game out at the NHL level as 2C and 3C are understandably not producing the offense that they should (and were when Sutter was healthy). This in turn is effecting the wingers on their lines as well, if your center, the very CENTER of your line is unable to bring forth the offensive output, to drive the net, to make or take the pass, or to simply screen the opposing team's goalie, then the line is not going to be very effective at scoring regardless of who is on it, plain and simple.

This is not indication of the talent, effort, or lack of development of these players, it is rather and unfortunately a blow to their confidence, as well as a valuable lesson on what it takes to succeed in the NHL.

For me, there is a proliferation of hockey media products in the market today.  I'm as much a hockey fan as I am a Canucks fan, so if there is a more compelling game to watch than the Canucks vs. Coyotes or Preds or any other game that I know will be about as exciting as watching paint dry, I'm going to watch another game or do something entirely different.  And in the past couple of years, I find myself watch US feeds more frequently only because I have an interest to hear the other team's broadcaster's perspective of things (the only one I don't care for is the ass-clown Jack Edwards of NESN).

One thing for sure...I don't feel sorry for the Aquilinis...whether the ratings are up or down, they're cashing in the big checks from their regional TV deal with Rogers/Sportsnet.  It may affect how much they get in their next deal, but that's unlikely...someone will always pay more when it comes to broadcasting rights for sports content.  At the very least, the Aquilini's seem to put the money back into the team by pushing the cap to the limit every year, so I guess the money they receive from regional TV deal is well spent.

Ah, you mean ratings are down for the network that basically trolls us on a weekly basis?  But...but... they have so much informative information that excites us Canucks fans like that Mark Messier interview last week.  We don't need to see our opening night lineup because we got to see Toronto/Edmonton/Calgary's.  In fact maybe extent the leafs postgame show, we don't need to watch the first period of our team. 

Last night I watched the Chicago/Vancouver on WGN(Chicago's feed) and I know I wasn't the only one.  I hope ratings continue to tank until they got no choice but to farm some of the coverage to TSN. 

4 things have to happen - Canucks NEED to find their WINNING mojo properly - And WIN  the games - not just nice try nice try...

2) Prices of merchandise is unreasonably high 4 years-  caps should be 20-30 not 40-60  jerseys for example should be no more then  50-  100 not 500-1000   and ticket prices are down but if u keep losing it wont sell.

3) Earn the Fans trust w people  sports commentators - like Don Taylor need to be back- 

4) the organization need to bring in Cup - d man cup goalies of TODAY not a tired VET like Miller

19 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Have you seen how horrible HNIC is now? 

WTF does George Snuffleupagus know about hockey?

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

Very good points. The actual commentary is absolute garbage these days. Craig Simp(elton)son is such an annoying personality.

While the Canucks attendance numbers are slipping, because the team is somewhat of a shell of it's former self, I believe Canucks fans (fairweather or not) have grown tired of the same old biased dreck that sadly passes for sports commentary these days on CBC, SN, and the rest.

When people have to sit through PJ Stock and his inane banter, as well as that buffoon Kelly Hrudey, and the rest of those idiots, why would they?

I've always been partial to the regional broadcasting, Shorty and Cheech are my favorites. I think Don Taylor was the best thing about SN, and now that he's not on, there's really no reason to keep the audio on at all.

Archived