The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks TV Ratings are down 27%

DonaldBrashear

It's a combination of things.

1. The team is past their prime and haven't had new young blood to get excited about in a loooong time. The team aren't as boring as they could be, but watching the same old thing over and over again and the repeated playoff disgraces have worn thin.

2.. The lack of goal scoring league wide is hurting the product. You have to have physical play(which they've drastically reduced) incredible intensity or exciting offense, when you don't have any of those the games get boring. I still think there is good hockey being played but it's not enough.

3. Sportsnet's coverage. When they are showing Messier stuff to Canucks fans it really makes you wonder. The NHL's decision to exclude TSN from national coverage just keeps looking worse and worse.

4. Online streams are probably making an impact.

The Canucks will eventually get some more young talent, hopefully the talent is exceptional and it comes soon. The league I think is feeling some heat to get more scoring back, if they can somehow get back to where goalies have to make saves instead of just being big blockers I think that would help.

I'm not surprised the ratings are down, but I am surprised it's that much.

Rogers is doing a terrible job with their coverage. You need like 5 different channels to watch the games  (CBC, SNP, SN1, SNV, SN360) in a time where some people are getting rid of cable and just sticking to online streaming. Not to mention the panel they have is terrible. 

It doesn't help that the team isn't playing great hockey right now and fair weather fans aren't going to tune into a team that isn't winning.

3 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Have you seen how horrible HNIC is now? 

WTF does George Snuffleupagus know about hockey?

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

Rogers screwed over Televised Canadian Hockey. CBC's been going down the toilet for years, but now Roger's just killed them completely. I hate Maclean, but frick I'd take him over Strombolopolous any day, any time. The worst part too is that is killed TSN just as they were getting great. I miss watching the panel between periods. Sure they were biased, some of them, but they hid it a lot better than the clowns at CBC. Also, the commentating was 1,000,000x better. 

1 hour ago, spliced said:

It's a combination of things.

1. The team is past their prime and haven't had new young blood to get excited about in a loooong time. The team aren't as boring as they could be, but watching the same old thing over and over again and the repeated playoff disgraces have worn thin.

2.. The lack of goal scoring league wide is hurting the product. You have to have physical play(which they've drastically reduced) incredible intensity or exciting offense, when you don't have any of those the games get boring. I still think there is good hockey being played but it's not enough.

3. Sportsnet's coverage. When they are showing Messier stuff to Canucks fans it really makes you wonder. The NHL's decision to exclude TSN from national coverage just keeps looking worse and worse.

4. Online streams are probably making an impact.

The Canucks will eventually get some more young talent, hopefully the talent is exceptional and it comes soon. The league I think is feeling some heat to get more scoring back, if they can somehow get back to where goalies have to make saves instead of just being big blockers I think that would help.

Great post, well said and agree with 100% of it.

When you turn on your tv for a hockey game you see guys like pj stock kay whitmore corey hirch Nick kypreos etc etc 

You turn on a basketball game theres reggie miller shaq charles barkley etc

Football.....the list can go on for miles of hall of famera on their panels

The nhl and sportsnet in particular has to gwt some of the recognisable names in there talking hockey. Guys people grew up watching. If joe sakic is explaining a breakout then nick kypreous does the same....who are you oaying attention to you. 

I remember the days where I would hardly ever miss a Canucks game. No matter what I had on my schedule, I would always try and work around it so I could squeeze in the time to watch my favorite team play. Nowadays, I could really care less about watching this team play hockey. I've watched a total of about 5 games this year from start to finish...most of the time I'll watch a period or two and call it. Fact: We wont be seeing exciting Canucks hockey for another few years. Still love the team

This franchise is in dire need of a sure fire top offensive prospect. They have the Sedins who are exciting but everything after that is a third liner. What makes it worse is the Sedins are getting up there in age and all the Canucks have in the cupboard in terms of prospects are number 2 centres and number 3 defenseman.

'Hometown Hockey' is bad. Like really really bad. Baaaaaaad.

I don't know how to express it through text. I didn't even watch the game live tonight, I came home late and watched it on-demand through streaming. My legs still started to twitch as I tried to cycle through all the boring shots of Ron McLean shivering with a bunch of people fake cheering in the background.

6 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/rogers-still-struggling-to-get-tv-ratings-up-for-nhl-221517546.html

Low Canadian dollar, decreasing ticket sales, decreasing merchandise sales, and regional ratings plunging. Not a great time for the Canucks. These stats are also probably a bit older and it's only going to get worse. No surprise I guess judging by how quiet these forums are lately.

After watching the game tonight IN CHICAGO it makes me jelous/upset/mad...  90% of fans were wearing jerseys/hats/jackets, etc. & up on their feet cheering all game long. I remember our building like that a long time ago...:huh: (pacific coliseum)

Isn't it time for Mr.A to start thinking about what he really wants in his house.?

Corporate generally quiet suite & tie fans (a dying trend)   OR the REAL FANS who spend numerous $ in jerseys, hats, jackets, souvenirs, etc. as well as eat hot dogs, burgers, nachos, etc. + drink lots of beer & ACTUALLY CHEER LOUD & PROUD.:towel: |

7 hours ago, BanTSN said:

I wonder if sports tv ratings are down in general due to online streaming.

This a valid point.  With the trend of people cancelling cable subscriptions, combined with the trend of young adults simply not getting cable at all, the cable TV industry in general is absolutely &^@#ed.  Among people my age, I know hardly anyone without a Netflix subscription.  Conversely, I know hardly anyone with a cable subscription, unless it's part for by their parents or a landlord.  I'm sure as people move into better paying jobs a few will sign up for cable, but it'll no longer be the norm.  Internet streaming is the new standard.

Obviously Rogers sucks and the team sucks and those are bigger factors but this is just as a side note.

9 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/rogers-still-struggling-to-get-tv-ratings-up-for-nhl-221517546.html

Low Canadian dollar, decreasing ticket sales, decreasing merchandise sales, and regional ratings plunging. Not a great time for the Canucks. These stats are also probably a bit older and it's only going to get worse. No surprise I guess judging by how quiet these forums are lately.

Just imagine if we tank and go to the bottom of the league as many here want. Many of our self proclaimed "die hard" fans are actually "fair weather" fans.

8 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i find myself not really caring about watching games this year. this team is so painful to watch this year, i'm like, okay, i'm in no real rush to turn the tv on

A lot of it has to do with the Nucks current state,

But some of the blame goes to the NHL, it sometimes seems like their goal is to make the game as boring as possible,

Their solution to everything is MORE PENALTIES!

Consequently we are left watching tentative, over coached teams where everyone plays the same. If someone does something exciting, they are either benched or sent to the penalty box.

Taking a penalty or going out of position will get you put on wavers these days.

I am so sick of hearing coaches droan on about "Sticking to our game plan"

Screw the game plan! Gretzky, Hull, Lemeuix....those guys went out onto the ice and took chances, they let their talent shine through, they either made a play or gave the other team an opening to make one of their own. .

A forward scored, a goalie made a big save on an odd man break, a defenseman landed a huge hit on someone trying to speed through the slot.

Yes kids, this stuff actually used to happen more than once or twice a season.

The NHL has been asleep at the wheel since 1995

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Just imagine if we tank and go to the bottom of the league as many here want. Many of our self proclaimed "die hard" fans are actually "fair weather" fans.

Sometimes a good colon cleanse is needed. You could end up at the bottom and if you get that one special player the fans will come to see him. I remember when Bure first played the excitement was through the roof. The way the team has played lately doesn't matter if you are in the tank or no tank camp they might be at the bottom of the barrel at the end of the season.

Archived