The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your thought of what the canucks should do? should we tank or consider shopping guys and pick up via waviers.

MattCanuck

While I have seen many threads on this topic over the years...it gets really old to go back and forth over it like a dead horse....

Over the past years we should all know that ONE PLAYER does not make a team...so tanking to get one player makes no sense to me....look at edmonton lol

I think we should shuffle and trade for some  seasoned players who know the game...besides a new player will only succumb to our pathetic style of play and we wll only kill that player like a new plant to a person who is not a green thumb...lol

1 hour ago, fwybwed said:

While I have seen many threads on this topic over the years...it gets really old to go back and forth over it like a dead horse....

Over the past years we should all know that ONE PLAYER does not make a team...so tanking to get one player makes no sense to me....look at edmonton lol

I think we should shuffle and trade for some  seasoned players who know the game...besides a new player will only succumb to our pathetic style of play and we wll only kill that player like a new plant to a person who is not a green thumb...lol

One player doesn't make your team good, you're right. But look at our team. Who can we honestly trade for anything decent. Nobody can take the twins. Our d-men wont get us much. Plus on top of it the trade market looks weak atm. The only way this team can get better at the moment is through the draft. Higher drafting = better chance of getting better players .duh. IMO we have no other option to fix this team other than draft and rebuild. So tanking does make a bit of sense. Some of these top 5 picks could be a corner stone franchise player.. Tell me how many of those players are out there and available. next to none. and the asking price is too steep. On one side of the fence you've got Oilers who havn't been able to draft their way out of the basement. Then you got the Hawks who drafted their way to the cup. 

On December 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM, fwybwed said:

Edmonton rushed their players into the league with zero leadership to ease them in. Look at what Chicago and Pittsburg did with their high draft picks 

every team wants "seasoned players" entering their prime, teams are not going to trade these players and if they do at an extremely high price

we need a couple of character veterans like the sedins to mentor the next wave of solid prospects but it all starts with the draft. we are not currently built to do anything in the playoffs so might as well strip the team down an Build up our prospect pool by shedding expiring contracts and aging players for picks 

if the twins are your second line playing behind a bona fide 1st line, you are a stanley cup contender ..   

1 great player can make a difference in this case .   

we need to continue drafting character guys wherever we pick em and hope that if we do draft high, the kid turns out to be a super star 

Hamhuis for 1st round pick, Vrbata for 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd round pick, Higgins for 3rd round pick, Miller for 2nd round pick, Dorsett for 2nd round pick, Prust for 3rd round pick, Bartkowski for 7th round pick...see which team wants those players and pull the trigger. Priority is getting rid of Hamhuis and Vrbata while they still hold some value (hopefully Hamhuis will be back in time) and Miller could be a good insurance policy for teams that don't have a good backup.

29 minutes ago, C.Schneider said:

We should off-load all our 2nd round picks for the next 10 years and pick more reclamation projects from other team's rejects.  I mean it worked for 1 game, so this is a solid plan.  amirite?

Well if the last 15 years of Canuck 2nd picks are any indication..

Denis Grot

Kirill Kotsov

Marc Andre Bernier

Mason Raymond

Taylor Ellington

Yann Sauve

Anton Rodin

Alexandre Mallet

Thatcher Demko

Demko was an amazing pickup IMO...Baertschi is coming along,but it seems it's really never fast enough for the 'instant gratification "crowd....Two good pickups by Benning IMO.

I believe a team should never change their "main objective" which is to build a "championship" team. This should always be a work in progress and they should seek to improve at every possible moment via trade, UFA/RFA, waiver  or draft. 

All teams are in a constant state of flux and the GM should always be ready to jump on a situation when it arises. A team may find themselves out of contention and may want to dump salary, a team may have too many defenseman, too many goalies etc. or they may need to move players to get under the cap. There are many reasons teams may want to move a player(i.e. Hamonic).

There is a set roster and a set cap salary for every team. There should be a player for 4 forward lines , 7 or 8 defenseman and a couple of goalies. A GM should have a good idea what kind of player he wants to fill those positions and how much he is willing to spend. If there are gaps(PMD, top 6 forward etc.) then he should constantly be looking to fill those positions wherever he can.

There is no reason to `dump`players when we still need their services. Why get rid of the Sedins when we are lacking top 6 scoring for example or get rid of Edler when we have no other top 4 dman to replace him. Yes they are getting old but they are the least of our worries.

I would hope JB and TL have some sort of plan in place and they are constantly looking for what we need. What I would hope not happen is that we settle for mediocre players(Weber) because we could not find  the player we needed. If the position can not be filled then utilize the rookies and develope them. I do like that JB has signed some 1 year contracts because if the player is not a fit we can find someone that does. The NTC`s have damaged the growth of this team big time and I hope next year is the beginning of getting what we ``need`` through UFA`s because some of theses contracts are finally expiring.

Make smart trades and load up on some draft picks this could be another big draft year for us with the way we are playing we can get a top pick which would go a long way for the rebuild. Don't believe the fire sale way that Edmonton did but trade out some aging vets while also surrounding the youth with solid leaders such as the Sedins.

On 12/17/2015 at 9:07 PM, Crabcakes said:

Trade UFA's for picks, plug some holes with free agents.  The waiver wire is not fruitful ground usually.

Other than that, stay the course.   The big plan is sound.

Pretty much... you can find relatively cheap veteran help to stabilize things and guide the youngsters.

I think the OP is making a false choice.  If at the deadline we find ourselves out of a playoff spot we certainly have to consider ourselves sellers for pending UFAs.  That is a far cry from "tanking" though, it is simply a shift in the balance of priorities to development and asset management.

The tanking crowd has suggested we start off a season purposefully trying to lose and miss the playoffs by as wide a margin as possible.  They continued to suggest that even when we were near the top of the standings early on.

Some seasons you have success and get a lower draft pick, some seasons injuries happen and guys go flat and you get a higher draft pick... that isn't tanking.  Trading away pending UFAs is done all the time and not intentionally losing.

I hope we can unload some middle six veterans on expiring contracts this Feb. other than the three or 4 names bandied about on the boards I cannot see much movement .Higgens,Prust,Burrows,Hamhuis an Vrbata hopefully we can unload the most enemic of the lot,an the UFA  pray to get some value back in Feb, only around 6 weeks away give or take a week.OH yeah please add Weber to the list either a trade for picks or a very high end prospect would be nice.

The injury's on the team have not made it easy for WD to show case what we may have available but perhaps that is not really his focus right now ,

If all the above players departed on that day in Feb 2016 I would consider this my new years celebration as the team moves into the next phases of it micro -rebuild.If only 4 are gone I would consider this to be a successful  trade deadline .

I am nuetral on Burrows an actually would not mind him being around but his salary an cap hit for a bottom 10 team is way to high for his current production rate ,a playoff team may see a need for his game in a push to playoffs.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 5:59 AM, smithers joe said:

so, let me get this straight...people are saying that we should fire tl, jb, wd, and trade half the team for 1st or 2nd round picks, bring up utica to finish off the year .....lose 1/2 the season ticket holders and move the franchise to vegas...does that about sum it up?

I am going to guess that you didn't finish high school and don't work in a technical or professional job. Deep thinking is not something you ever engage in is it?

Archived