The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ITs time to get tough on the floaters and radar dodgers

canucklekassian

I have been watching/cheering this team so long now. All those years we always had players that put in solid efforts until acquisitions of players like Kassian and Higgins began to spoil the identity of our team. First of all Kassian is only in the NHL because he has some serious size, bit of skill, and a bat $&!# crazy look that fooled his way into the NHL. His stick swinging days and his actions the moments arriving in Montreal have proved he's not NHL calibre. After Kassians departure from the Canucks it seamed this team was back on track but one radar dodger is left.....Chris Higgins. This guy is only seen during the off season with his "postcards from Higgins" series...I mean wtf is this team so focused on his summer schedule and party activities while during the regular season he's hardly even seen or heard on the ice. I don't know if his character or locker room presence is the reason why he's in the NHL but i doubt it. I see his deer in the headlights look on the bench game after game. This guy is lame and should be called out. It may be he's grooming himself for future office or coaching career ....mark my words he will. But the time has come...players that simply don't produce at all should move out of the way for young talent needing to fine tune their games that will only come from NHL experience. It had to be said, I hope he's traded tomorrow!

So this is basically yet another "Let's trade/waive/deport/disintergrate Higgins" thread. Kassian's no longer here and I don't see any other floaters/dodgers mentioned, although we know currently at least a half of the team qualify. OP could have saved time and effort by just replying to the existing "Trade Higgins" thread which is right below.

But here's a real head scratcher... why is the OP using such a despised floater's name in his sig? :blink:

Could Higgins be better? Absolutely!  Is he the reason the team is where it is? No!  A lot of hate lately for Higgins and he seems to be the first one called out, but in actuality hes just one loose spoke in a very wobbly wheel.  Other than the Twins, Hanson and Miller there is enough blame to go around pretty much the rest of the team.  It seems popular to bash the vets this year but our young guns have to start showing up as well.  

That said, I do believe this team is and can be better than recent results have shown.  

Problem  isn't that Higgins has constantly disappeared for half of the games he has ever played in the NHL. The problem is that besides only playing when he wants to he was still....

-5th in forwards scoring last year

-4th the year before 

-6th the year before that

-5th the year before that

How does a floater like him outscore 60% of the other forwards?

Yeah he's our problem, why should we pay him the same as a 4th line player? If we waived him we would be #1.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/Fml0fgAxVx1eM/giphy.gif

5 hours ago, canucklekassian said:

I have been watching/cheering this team so long now. All those years we always had players that put in solid efforts until acquisitions of players like Kassian and Higgins began to spoil the identity of our team. First of all Kassian is only in the NHL because he has some serious size, bit of skill, and a bat $&!# crazy look that fooled his way into the NHL. His stick swinging days and his actions the moments arriving in Montreal have proved he's not NHL calibre. After Kassians departure from the Canucks it seamed this team was back on track but one radar dodger is left.....Chris Higgins. This guy is only seen during the off season with his "postcards from Higgins" series...I mean wtf is this team so focused on his summer schedule and party activities while during the regular season he's hardly even seen or heard on the ice. I don't know if his character or locker room presence is the reason why he's in the NHL but i doubt it. I see his deer in the headlights look on the bench game after game. This guy is lame and should be called out. It may be he's grooming himself for future office or coaching career ....mark my words he will. But the time has come...players that simply don't produce at all should move out of the way for young talent needing to fine tune their games that will only come from NHL experience. It had to be said, I hope he's traded tomorrow!

How much better do we get by waiving/trading Higgins?  Serious question?  Are we a playoff team again?  Do we go up 1 position in the standings?  2?

5 hours ago, mj vic said:

Could Higgins be better? Absolutely!  Is he the reason the team is where it is? No!  A lot of hate lately for Higgins and he seems to be the first one called out, but in actuality hes just one loose spoke in a very wobbly wheel.  Other than the Twins, Hanson and Miller there is enough blame to go around pretty much the rest of the team.  It seems popular to bash the vets this year but our young guns have to start showing up as well.  

That said, I do believe this team is and can be better than recent results have shown.  

The Higgins hate is BS, he is no floater  and has always put in an honest effort,

It just so happens that he isn't that good anymore,

He'd be a great 4th line minute eater on a cup contender, since he has the smarts and experience to not make costly mistakes, but at this point he is ineffective in any other role

But  just like Vey last year he's the designated target, but unlike Vey he does not posses world class offensive abilities, 10 goals and 14 assists in a rookie season and he gets blasted.

Had we kept him up that would have been   17 goals and 28 assists this year guaranteed, centering Vbrata and Hanson Vey would have had a 50 Pt. season, he also has the skill to get Virtannen the puck. put those two together with Vrby and  Jake may not be on his way to the worlds.

Those who refuse to admit Vey made plays last year that only elite passing talent are able to,  are willfully blind to the fact that he was our second most skilled center. He was sent down to let McCann and Jake play in spots they hadn't necessarily earned. And because aquillini, desperate to keep his income stable, though he could sell more tickets with the star rookies instead of the better qualified whipping boy.

Make no mistake, Vey should be on his way here now, to prove all of you wrong.

Come on People! Have you ever seen Higgins have a fight or engage in a territorial scrum? All  I have seen is a blank look on his face as he sits winded on the bench during shifts, I don't recall a moment he engages teammates. Im not sure whats going on in his head but if i where to take a guess I am thinking he's penning another edition of "Postcards from Higgins". Truly, summertime his vacations, parties are posted on this site each week during summer and its becoming a joke. He looks happy as ever. Do you know why? Its because he does not have to play hockey anymore. When a player is profiled more during the offseason than during the regular season when you earn your money its time to go. Maybe its time for him to start a writing career, I don't know but seriously this guy has disappeared and any statistic supporting his value on this team just makes the overall core of this team look worse. If he is the top 5 guy on our team and he performs like this does say alot of changes need to be made. But for now my wishes where answered with the trading of Kassian. Seems we got another stick work guy in Prust in exchange ut anything was better than that galoot. By the way Prust tried to extract Marchands privates from his body shows its time we are getting sloppy seconds and is time we got serious and pointed fingers in the right direction instead of at posters that know what they are talking about!

No one wants Higgens period end of story he is stuck here with us lets just enjoy the ride for now, not much can be done other than a benching now an then.I doubt that happenes ,but just let him play his game by mathmatical probability he is overdue to score a few goals.Over the years he has been one of our better special teams guys now he is long in the tooth.

I 100% agree, although he is a good penalty killer. His soft play and give aways to avoid contact is tough to watch. Then you see guys like Tanev, Hansen and the Sedins taking hits to make passes and you have to wonder if they had his spot filled with size, grit and hitting would we see more scoring on his line.

What a bunch of garbage! Higgins is not the problem. Has he been great? Nobody is going to claim that, but look at the line up and tell me he's the worse player on the roster. Vrbata has been the worst forward on the team so far other than the one hat trick game, Baertschi is this years Linden Vey, Prust is just there for a pay check and to have his staged fights. Dorsett has heart but no talent, Horvat is having the worst sophomore slump in the NHL this year, Burrows looks like he's on his last legs, the rookies were good early, but are now being exposed for what they are.. Kids! Weber is the biggest joke of a d man in the NHL, Bartkowski looks lost 90% of the time, but Higgins is the problem right, he's the reason were in a tailspin. How about we stop looking for scapegoats and start accepting reality, this team right now, with the injuries we have is not very good. Send the rookies back to junior, give some experience to the likes of Gaunce, Shinkaruk , Grenier and Pedan. move some vets and hit the reset button. The team is moving in the right direction long term. Hopefully the reality is sinking in with management, that this team as it is currently constructed is not a playoff team this year and needs to focus on development and the up coming draft to get back on track.

7 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Who would want him?  

This is the point most people don't get. In order to trade a player, you need two willing parties.
It turns out the 30 GMs in the NHL don't all live to serve the Canucks' interests.
What has Higgins done this year that would change a team's mind from the summer when no team would take him?

Archived