The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovechkin 500 goals

D.B Cooper

11 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Nice to see Backstrom is still underrated to hell. The man is not that far behind Henrik in terms of vision and passing abilities.

Henrik > Backstrom - ok, Never said Backstrom wasn't a good player - but if he is below Henrik, where do you think he is compared to Gretzky?

C'mon man!

;)

If you make adjustments for different eras OV will easily beat Gretzky.

OV needs 142 goals to catch Gretz in era adjusted goals for GOAT. No doubt he'll manage that barring serious injury. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=796548&navid=nhl:topheads

PEAK THREE-SE

PEAK THREE-SEASON ERA-ADJUSTED GOAL SCORING, 1967-68 TO 2015-16
PLAYER CAREER ERA-ADJUSTED GOALS PEAK SCORING
BRETT HULL 625 172
ALEX OVECHKIN 483 164
WAYNE GRETZKY 644 164
STEVEN STAMKOS 287 153
PHIL ESPOSITO 485 152
MARIO LEMIEUX 535 150
PAVEL BURE 394 148
TEEMU SELANNE 634 146
JOHN LECLAIR 378 141
PETER BONDRA 461 138

ASON ERA-ADJUSTED GOAL SCORING, 1967-68 TO 20

19 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Nice to see Backstrom is still underrated to hell. The man is not that far behind Henrik in terms of vision and passing abilities.

Definitely agree. It says a lot when Backstrom is still underrated despite playing in the Eastern conference (heavy bias in media coverage). 
Regardless, I doubt that Backstrom really cares about the lack of spotlight. He knows his value to the Capitals and vice versa with the organization.  

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Basically this generation's Bure. 

Bure was same as OV in speed and skill but he lacked half of OV's game. The physicality. 

OV is top 5 in hits since he's been in the league, he's 6'3 235lbs, hits like a truck. Another thing is OV barely misses games due to injury. Very tough and rugged. The guys a beast, there are no comparables. One of a kind.

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Bure was same as OV in speed and skill but he lacked half of OV's game. The physicality. 

OV is top 5 in hits since he's been in the league, he's 6'3 235lbs, hits like a truck. Another thing is OV barely misses games due to injury. Very tough and rugged. The guys a beast, there are no comparables. One of a kind.

Bure had the ability but lacked the mean streak to do so consistently.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Bure had the ability but lacked the mean streak to do so consistently.

Really, you think he lacked the mean streak? I think otherwise, Bure was a pretty mean dude imo, remember the elbow on Chura and Don Cherry having an aneurysm on national tv cus a pukey Russian had cheap shoted Chura? lol classic.

I thought Bure was a physical and had an attitude and meanness about him, but he didn't have the size, he was tiny compared to OV.

And Bure certainly wasn't at the top of the league in hits every year, that's usually reserved for 3rd or 4th liners. That's why OV is one of a kind. Can't compare him to anyone. He leads in goals, most exciting and electrifying goals and is amongst the leaders in hits year after year, 10 years going.

57 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Really, you think he lacked the mean streak? I think otherwise, Bure was a pretty mean dude imo, remember the elbow on Chura and Don Cherry having an aneurysm on national tv cus a pukey Russian had cheap shoted Chura? lol classic.

I thought Bure was a physical and had an attitude and meanness about him, but he didn't have the size, he was tiny compared to OV.

And Bure certainly wasn't at the top of the league in hits every year, that's usually reserved for 3rd or 4th liners. That's why OV is one of a kind. Can't compare him to anyone. He leads in goals, most exciting and electrifying goals and is amongst the leaders in hits year after year, 10 years going.

I said consistently.  That elbow wasn't exactly something he usually did, which I think he could have brought more to his game.  Ovi certainly is in another class altogether though. 

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Bure is my absolute favorite player of all time, but I'd also say he lacked OV's shot. Bure had a good shot. OV has a scary shot.

14 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

respect for Ovechkin, awesome player but he is 30 this year that leaves him with 3 years left at most in his prime before he starts to fall off. even if he plays into his 40's cant see him scoring another 394 to pass gretzky. sorry but just don't see it

i disagree but i guess we will find out in 8 or 9 yrs 

I'd argue that Bure and Ovechkin in terms of pure goal scoring prowess are pretty close. 

We all know how amazing OV is since that is all in our most recent memory.

However, those who watched Bure play knew what a generational talent he was. 

According to many, the dead puck era was a horrible time to score goals.  Scoring dropped to a low of 2.56 goals per team per game in 2003-04.  After the lockout, scoring jumped right up to 3.08 goals per game and stuck around 2.8ish for 5 years.  It has hovered over 2.75+ goals per game since.  Interestingly enough, OV came into the league at the perfect time, immediately AFTER the dead puck era.

That era also saw some of the worst clutching, hooking, and grabbing we probably have ever seen in modern hockey.  Guys could literally GRAB a player and hang on for a ride. 

Even with arguably the lowest goal per team average era in modern NHL hockey, Bure scored 50 goals or more 4 times during those years, once scoring 60, and twice nearly scoring 60 (59 and 58 goals respectively).

Anyways, how close are the 2 talents in terms of scoring goals? 

Through 801 games, OV has 501 goals or 0.625 goals per game.

Through 702 games, Bure had 437 goals or 0.623 goals per game.

Both are a couple of my favourite players of all time.  Glad I got to see both of them live in an NHL game :)

Archived