The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem Could Turn Out To Be Huge

Luongo4life14

I don't know if Etem will ever put up numbers like Higgins did in his best years, but we needed fresh legs in our middle 6 forwards, and Etem is also more mature physically than the prospects we have coming up. Perfect gap player, who could become a major piece of the team. It's a great swap imo.

2 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

I don't know if Etem will ever put up numbers like Higgins did in his best years, but we needed fresh legs in our middle 6 forwards, and Etem is also more mature physically than the prospects we have coming up. Perfect gap player, who could become a major piece of the team. It's a great swap imo.

I agree. I honestly never saw the potential in Jensen. I watched most of the 24 games he played with the big club and he never seemed ready for the NHL. Not one part of his game had any wow factor. And beyond that it's not like he was really strong in his own end or something of the sort. I personally think that if Benning can get Etem working hard again, on a good off-season program and learn from a guy like Burrows that Etem could be the team's next Burrows (without the extreme agitation factor). Etem's hard on the forecheck, great in the corners, a solid skater and has shown that he can score. I agree...great player with huge potential and some immediate contributions to be made.

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

If Bure's 10 is retired, that means 96 is available right.

Technically, but he might consider it a sign of respect to not choose the number of a retired player weather it's the one on the banner or not.

He could have another reason as well, I obviously have no idea, just spitballin.

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Articles written by people who don't even follow nor know what's going on with the Canucks is nothing new.

What a helpful response. Been a season ticket holder for ten years. Canucks fan for over 20. Follow the team as close as any. My opinion is obviously different than yours so instead of being a troll with nothing positive to add how about you contribute to the conversation. Shame. 

Not a bad article and nice to see the mainstream hockey press offer a positive response (for once) on a Benning trade and new acquisition (of course JB could help himself in this regard but that's another discussion for another time ;)).

Definitely shared Elvis's criticisms when I first read the piece (and yes the original, pre-edited version did mistakenly claim that Boeser was playing in Utica).

One more little quibble is the writer's choice to list Shinkaruk and Cassels (instead of Gaunce, or even Grenier) as the Utica players "close to taking NHL positions." Cole is a fair ways away from being "close" and certainly much further down the list of NHL ready players than a guy like Gaunce. 

Hunter, of course, is looking very close this season, but Gaunce is probably on a similar timeline at this point to Shinkaruk for actually being NHL ready.

But you can't expect these writers to get everything right. And sometimes what I think is "right" might not be what others think (of course the others are simply wrong in such cases ;)).

Overall though, a nice little piece in Etem. I share the optimism on the kind of impact player he could become for this team if he can really settle in with Vancouver and find some consistency and stability. Could be a beauty for us (and a real "win" for JB).

Ive Been looking at his draft year 2010, and some sources had him projected going as high as 7th overall.  I wonder why he fell to 29th?

This move could have a huge upside for the Canucks. I remember him with Anaheim a few years ago, and how he drove to the net with speed and I wished we had a guy like that!

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Not that exciting an article. They talk about him filling Higgins' spot on the left wing despite him playing the right side usually, say Burrows is a career goal scorer, and list Boeser as in Utica. Other than that it's all stuff we already knew from the other Etem threads.

Actually, they don't. :)

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not a bad article and nice to see the mainstream hockey press offer a positive response (for once) on a Benning trade and new acquisition (of course JB could help himself in this regard but that's another discussion for another time ;)).

Definitely shared Elvis's criticisms when I first read the piece (and yes the original, pre-edited version did mistakenly claim that Boeser was playing in Utica).

One more little quibble is the writer's choice to list Shinkaruk and Cassels (instead of Gaunce, or even Grenier) as the Utica players "close to taking NHL positions." Cole is a fair ways away from being "close" and certainly much further down the list of NHL ready players than a guy like Gaunce. 

Hunter, of course, is looking very close this season, but Gaunce is probably on a similar timeline at this point to Shinkaruk for actually being NHL ready.

But you can't expect these writers to get everything right. And sometimes what I think is "right" might not be what others think (of course the others are simply wrong in such cases ;)).

Overall though, a nice little piece in Etem. I share the optimism on the kind of impact player he could become for this team if he can really settle in with Vancouver and find some consistency and stability. Could be a beauty for us (and a real "win" for JB).

It's possible the guy is aware of how misleading Cassels'  AHL numbers thus far are - that his last two summers were write-offs from illness (mono) and injury (persistent abdominal injury) - and that Cole is not a guy to be devalued quite yet.

It's true that in the shorter run perhaps Gaunce, Grenier, Kenins et al should be on that list, but this is a THW source not that close to team - and people pick their prospect favorites - for an American, not that bad.

Archived