The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem Could Turn Out To Be Huge

Luongo4life14

Emerson's Canucks debut against the Panthers was pretty stellar. He didn't tally or anything but he was a huge factor...on the forecheck...just like he said he needed to be. He's also a pretty humble kid at this point. Might have just scored big with him. Check out this article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/emerson-etem-trade-gives-canucks-a-new-gear/

4 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Reading the topic, I thought this was gonna be a dirty laundry airing out from Etem's ex girlfriends.  They thought he would be huge, but then the third date came and.... disappointment.  Lol

I laughed way too hard at this, I'm embarrassed

Not that exciting an article. They talk about him filling Higgins' spot on the left wing despite him playing the right side usually, say Burrows is a career goal scorer, and list Boeser as in Utica. Other than that it's all stuff we already knew from the other Etem threads.

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Not that exciting an article. They talk about him filling Higgins' spot on the left wing despite him playing the right side usually, say Burrows is a career goal scorer, and list Boeser as in Utica. Other than that it's all stuff we already knew from the other Etem threads.

I am very glad we all voted for you to be the moderator and judge of the relevance of people's threads.

I would miss the snarky judgement posts that don't add any significant content to discussions that we wouldn't get if you were just a regular member like the rest of us.

I do think he provides the type of upside we wanted out of Jensen, but is still able to contribute in a bottom 6 role effectively. I actually see both of them having similar careers. Streaky scorers in the NHL who mostly play a bottom 6 role. 

9 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Not that exciting an article. They talk about him filling Higgins' spot on the left wing despite him playing the right side usually, say Burrows is a career goal scorer, and Boeser's in Utica. Other than that it's all stuff we already knew from the other Etem threads.

Hmm that's a pretty negative response for no reason. The Brock Boeser part was an obvious typo. It was a list of the Canucks awesome prospects. No need to be so nit picky. They didn't say that Etem was going to play LW, they simply said that Etem had filled Higgins spot on the 20 man roster. It's quite often that wingers play both sides of the ice. Especially when they are not first line players. And Burrows is a career goal scorer. 

08-09: 28 goals

09-10: 35 goals

10-11: 26 goal

11-12: 28 goals

12-13: 13 goals in 47 games (a 23 goal pace)

14-15: 18 goals

Don't be a hater. Burr has been unreal for the Canucks his entire career but both Tortorella and Desjardins use him the wrong way. No reason he shouldn't still be playing with the Sedins other than a bunch of people claiming that people had caught on to the Sedin/Burrows mix. 

I love Burr, but no one was considering him a sniper before he got paired with the Sedins. The article is not the best I've read even without the mistakes, and all the quotes have already been gone over with a fine tooth comb in the Etem Talk and Trade threads.

I like Etem as a player and acquisition, but not enough to want to rehash everything in multiple threads when we already have 16 pages on him in the prospects sub-forum.

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am very glad we all voted for you to be the moderator and judge of the relevance of people's threads.

I would miss the snarky judgement posts that don't add any significant content to discussions that we wouldn't get if you were just a regular member like the rest of us.

:rolleyes: Thanks. Any opinion on Etem or the article? Or are you just here to make your own snarky comments?

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

The OP asked us to check out the article and elvis did and then provided some comments. The comments were about the article. Pot, meet kettle.

25 minutes ago, BLU3GR33NBL00D said:

Definitely a great aquisition and looks like he, at the very least, provides some fresh legs for this team and a chance he could add some offense and some flash as well.

If he ends up fitting in the lineup I'll through his name up on my old Samuelsson jersey.

Why do you have a Samuelsson jersey, out of curiosity

48 minutes ago, Luongo4life14 said:

Emerson's Canucks debut against the Panthers was pretty stellar. He didn't tally or anything but he was a huge factor...on the forecheck...just like he said he needed to be. He's also a pretty humble kid at this point. Might have just scored big with him. Check out this article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/emerson-etem-trade-gives-canucks-a-new-gear/

A pretty good read imo.  Don't always find THW worth the time (they publish some downright daft stuff - see their Edler trade rumours for example) but this guy I found decently informed. 

I like that fact that it's Etem himself who questions his own work ethic.  Other people, including coaches and scouts have credited him with an outstanding work ethic, so imo it bodes well that he's his own hardest critic.

The one thing that made me laugh was the "officially rebuilding" comment.  This isn't really a 'rebuild' move, and the franchise doesn't really share the writer's perspective - so I can't agree with the "official" claim, but regardless, it's semantics and the rest of the article I found to be a pretty honest effort.

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

It doesn't say Boeser is in Utica as I'm reading it, unless it's been edited since Elvis read it.

"and still developing through the college system is Brock Boeser (18)."

Yeah, unless it was edited in the last hour, he misread the bit about Boeser.

I appreciate the positive outlook of the article but this quote puzzles me somewhat;

" The inflated ego that comes with being an 18-year-old first round pick in the NHL is inevitable and with Emerson Etem it might have come on a little too strong. "

Reason being that everything I've seen refers to him as being very grounded, his self evaluations have shown a mature level of humility and even AV referred to him as a "real nice young man".

10 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

It doesn't say Boeser is in Utica as I'm reading it, unless it's been edited since Elvis read it.

Went back to look, and it has been. It previously didn't include the "still developing through the college system is" so it just listed Cassels, Shink and Boeser together.

OP, your first name isn't Noah perchance, is it?

42 minutes ago, Provost said:

Whether he is a regular member or a mod, all we get from him is negative or snarky anyways. lol 

Archived