The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem Could Turn Out To Be Huge

Luongo4life14

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's possible the guy is aware of how misleading Cassels'  AHL numbers thus far are - that his last two summers were write-offs from illness (mono) and injury (persistent abdominal injury) - and that Cole is not a guy to be devalued quite yet.

It's true that in the shorter run perhaps Gaunce, Grenier, Kenins et al should be on that list, but this is a THW source not that close to team - and people pick their prospect favorites - for an American, not that bad.

I don't think Gaunce is as good or "close" as the fan base is saying. He's been called up so many times and barely played. Just because he was a first round pick doesn't mean he's a top prospect at this point. Kenins should have been included. He could be a really effective 4th line player with some polishing and Grenier should also have been included...however if the Canucks saw real potential in Grenier now would be the time to bring him up.

4 minutes ago, Luongo4life14 said:

I don't think Gaunce is as good or "close" as the fan base is saying. He's been called up so many times and barely played. Just because he was a first round pick doesn't mean he's a top prospect at this point. Kenins should have been included. He could be a really effective 4th line player with some polishing and Grenier should also have been included...however if the Canucks saw real potential in Grenier now would be the time to bring him up.

Uh, he's 21, and he's scored 18 pts in 26 games this year - a prospect most expected to be a 3rd line checking type.  I think his potential is just fine - and 1 goal in 2 games during his callup - not that disappointing tbh.  I liked him as a pick, but imo he's looking even better than we might have expected.

1 hour ago, cbdoubleu said:

I don't know if Etem will ever put up numbers like Higgins did in his best years, but we needed fresh legs in our middle 6 forwards, and Etem is also more mature physically than the prospects we have coming up. Perfect gap player, who could become a major piece of the team. It's a great swap imo.

In his big junior season, he did put up 10 SHG.  He's faster than Higgins ever was, bigger, has a better shot, and appears to be more physical.  If his defensive game can be as solid then he'll be a great replacement.

4 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

Reading the topic, I thought this was gonna be a dirty laundry airing out from Etem's ex girlfriends.  They thought he would be huge, but then the third date came and.... disappointment.  Lol

Reading the topic, I thought this was gonna be a dirty laundry airing out from Etem's ex girlfriends.  They thought he would be huge, but then the third date came and.... disappointment.  Lol

22 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Where did my post go?  Darn it, it was a funny one... Oh well, I reposted... Mainly be accident as it was stuck to my reply to topic box... Oh the misconfigurations of technology, shucks

Probably not the best idea, especially if it was removed by the mods once already...

3 hours ago, Luongo4life14 said:

What a helpful response. Been a season ticket holder for ten years. Canucks fan for over 20. Follow the team as close as any. My opinion is obviously different than yours so instead of being a troll with nothing positive to add how about you contribute to the conversation. Shame. 

As, so your name is Noah, and you are redirecting traffic from CDC to your own article (and edited it after I pointed out mistakes) by posting only the link and not any of the article itself.

3 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Actually, they don't. :)

Actually, they did. Journalists should being editing before posting, but sometimes they edit after the fact too.

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

As, so your name is Noah, and you are redirecting traffic from CDC to your own article (and edited it after I pointed out mistakes) by posting only the link and not any of the article itself.

Actually, they did. Journalists should being editing before posting, but sometimes they edit after the fact too.

Ahhh. Welp. That's gotta be awkward now.

Maybe since it's no longer a question as to why the OP would post an article with largely redundant content, I should post a bit of a critique to help him improve.

I don't have a problem with the article all that much, just that it's not really necessary to create a new thread when there's already two threads dedicated to Etem after the trade. We see it happen sometimes when there's a significant update (like when Higgins went from trade rumours to waivers) and it makes sense at that point. It makes even less sense if you're posting your own article without posting any of the content from that article - instead posting just a link to it to redirect traffic, also a no no on this site.

As far as the article itself though, it wasn't bad considering you aren't a professional journalist. I might have disagreed with some of the points made but apart from the mistakes/misleading info it was decently written. You included relevant information and tried to look at things that maybe haven't been pointed out a lot, and it was well laid out.

You don't have to take offense to someone not liking it, but if you're posting your own articles and let us know people will likely be responsive and help you with some positive feedback.

EDIT: and if you don't find that helpful, at least I was commenting on topic, unlike Provost and amitriptyline, who only left off topic comments about what they thought of my post - which was, as Quoted said, actually exactly what your OP had asked for.

6 hours ago, Luongo4life14 said:

Emerson's Canucks debut against the Panthers was pretty stellar. He didn't tally or anything but he was a huge factor...on the forecheck...just like he said he needed to be. He's also a pretty humble kid at this point. Might have just scored big with him. Check out this article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/emerson-etem-trade-gives-canucks-a-new-gear/

I think that people should consider that the OP is writing for a general audience so the depth etc of the article is fine.  There are a couple of errors, or misleading comments that have been talked about by other posters so I'll say something different.  I honestly think that it gives the reader a sense of what Jim Benning is up to and where he is trying to take the team.  Although, if I were to criticise, I think that a lot of readers probably will not reflect a whole lot on what they have just read.  CDC as a group of course notice everything and are not shy about telling you about it.  Sometimes when posting I think that if I make a mistake, or don't say something in the right way, that I have somehow made somebody's day.

To add to the discussion, I think that the addition of Etem, and his age (23) definitely gives the Canucks rebuild a push in the right direction and will speed things up particularly since Kassian (24) was a bust for the Canucks.  I really think that Etem really is replacing Kassian and not Higgins.  It remains to be seen if Etem, Virtanen or Boeser ever make it to the top 6.  If they end up with 2 of these players as their middle 6, Benning would have made a successful start to rebuilding the right side.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Maybe since it's no longer a question as to why the OP would post an article with largely redundant content, I should post a bit of a critique to help him improve.

I share many other people's opinion who find this exceedingly tedious and as inappropriate - or more - than what you're objecting to.

The 'content' of the article may not be considered incredibly ground-breaking or original  - like virtually all content on these boards - but the article itself has not been posted before.  Whether you consider it interesting or original is fair enough commentary, but given the literally thousands of objections to content you post - that part is exceedingly tedious - and not without irony.

Perhaps you could solicit some kind of official content filter position on these boards - or otherwise, moderate yourself.

49 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I share many other people's opinion who find this exceedingly tedious and as inappropriate - or more - than what you're objecting to.

The 'content' of the article may not be considered incredibly ground-breaking or original  - like virtually all content on these boards - but the article itself has not been posted before.  Whether you consider it interesting or original is fair enough commentary, but given the literally thousands of objections to content you post - that part is exceedingly tedious - and not without irony.

Perhaps you could solicit some kind of official content filter position on these boards - or otherwise, moderate yourself.

Agreed. It clearly wasn't the best article, but I wouldn't expect much from what is essentially a blog. The thread itself though, invites discussion on the topic of Etem and how he could work out well for us. Unfortunately much of this thread has been derailed to whether it's worthy of the kilobytes required to create it.

------

Etem has looked great the last two games. He managed 4 shots vs. the Capitals, was positionally sound, and fast enough to back check on what looked like a clear cut scoring chance - all without taking a penalty. I continue to mention his low PIMs as it's very understated for a guy that big not to find himself in the box more. 

I'm hoping Willie will start trusting Etem with the PK. As is, with the losses of Higgins/Hansen/Sutter our PK has taken a hit. The latter 2 will be returning but I'd like to see how Etem is in that role. 

It's an easy trade to win, as Jensen was likely never going to surpass our other forward prospects, while Etem slides right into the line up. NYR lose a 4th line winger, which is where he was wasted by Vigneault. 

@oldnews: you and I agree on a number of things, but I know we don't agree on all. While you find me mentioning to people there are other threads discussing the same thing tedious, I find discussing the same thing in new threads tedious. Sure, I could say nothing and let it come to a natural conclusion, but when the OP in particular is here promoting his own article (and redirecting traffic from the site to do so by not posting anything but a link) it isn't the best way to go about it. Then again, I at least try and discuss the article (and the content) rather than just post something irrelevant.

I don't think you can knock me for saying how good or bad the article was and providing feedback on it as well in case it helps the OP, just as I can't knock you for providing your opinion here as well as in the other two Etem threads. But then you can also respect I don't have much need to go in depth into a discussion on Etem specifically that's already in full swing elsewhere. I could see if there was some differentiator here that made it new and exciting info but without that there's just not that much to dive into apart from critiquing the article itself.

@Ossi: the same could be said about the Emerson Etem Talk thread, where doesn't that invite the same discussion? Once again with the trade thread, although I can see that being more specific to the value given/gained in the deal. I just don't see what new discussion is gained from this that isn't already available elsewhere.

Archived