The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden on TSN1040 Jan 19

elvis15

Summary:

• Just came from speaking to NHL about schedule challenges, reducing length of Eastern road trips (current is 7, next year 6 max and all three NY arenas on one trip)
  • Have to reign in shots and work to get puck while limiting to the outside rather than relying on their goalies
  • Goalies have given us a chance to win, Markstrom stepped up in Miller absence and both played well recently
  • Virtanen scratched wasn't the plan, deviated for other reasons and not ideal, will be back against Boston
  • Young guys have been good away from puck, McCann looked good and has offensive thought process so nice to get opportunity
  • Prust getting chance against former team, want to do right thing for the room sometimes, delicate dance with coach and group in the room
  • Burrows took a shot in the hand but skated today so should be fine and in
  • Prust came in a played good hockey prior to injury, will monitor and a lot of options for how we approach this with the trade deadline
  • With the cap and dollar, may have an affect on the cap and having the salary flexibility will give options for us and with teams that need the flexibility
  • Henrik on 5pm flight today home
  • Sutter shooting for Pittsburgh (old team)? has done a lot of one on one work and getting in a practice will help him, has to be the right spot for him
  • Missed Sbisa on the PK and physically, teams note when there's that presence there
  • Rodin breaking injury after terrific year, were going to go over in next few weeks to see him, will get more info on injury as may be back in March, providing he wants to come back to NHL he's definitely an option for us
  • May not have been physically ready when he came over earlier, different players mature at different times
  • Biega is on the roster now, banged on door and got here the hard way, would go back to Utica and work his tail off every time according to Green, will get on to contract talks with him soon

Bonus:

• Saw a 32 jersey in Brooklyn, but was Brendan Witt, Nassau Coliseum couldn't have been worse but atmosphere was amazing, can't see the net in all spots in Brooklyn but a better situation financially and good atmosphere still but fans are brutally honest in New York

All a paraphrase of course, typing quickly but hopefully I captured the essence of it. There haven't been as many threads on these interviews of late, but a couple of good tidbits in this one, with Rodin and Biega, what's happening with Virtanen vs Prust, and the work they continue to do on scheduling.

Interesting "dance" comment.  Sounds like perhaps not all vets are on-side with the "play the youth" strategy.

As far as Prust goes...to me, it's up to him.  If he can't bring more than a kid does, he should sit or be moved.  Lately he has been ineffective as alluded to by Trevor.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Interesting "dance" comment.  Sounds like perhaps not all vets are on-side with the "play the youth" strategy.

As far as Prust goes...to me, it's up to him.  If he can't bring more than a kid does, he should sit or be moved.  Lately he has been ineffective as alluded to by Trevor.

I think that's more for how they have to balance the time the vets have earned with the development of the young players. Linden did say Prust was very effective before the injury as well.

I don't recall ever seeing a coach change his mind about scratching a player (Prust) because he had a hissy fit. I never did that as a parent (reinforce tantrums) and don't see how that helps with a perception of 'specialness' for some, especially for an underachieving, overpaid 4th liner.

20 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I think that's more for how they have to balance the time the vets have earned with the development of the young players. Linden did say Prust was very effective before the injury as well.

That's not the take of Sekeres.  He seems to think that management and WillieD might not always be on the same wave length.  He was saying earlier in the show (the segment with Jon Abbott) that he had been around management on this trip and it's pretty obvious that they are committed to youth.  He thinks that Higgins was just the first domino.  He went as far to suggest that it's get on board or get off.  

After the Linden interview he again said that this is another instance where management and WillieD don't seem to align.  

I don't know if he's right but I thought Linden was pretty blunt that he didn't like the scratching of Virtanen.  I am curious to see who gets scratched against Boston.  

More generally I wonder if Benning is as thrilled with Vey as WillieD is?  Does he really prefer Vey on the PP over McCann?  Now that Henrik is out McCann is back in but he wasn't before.  You never hear Benning speak of Vey.  It will be interesting to see who goes down/gets scratched once Sutter is back.  

2 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Gotta trade prust to ensure young guys are playing. Prust could fetch a 4th I'm thinking. Also gotta move or wave burrows. Our lines should be 

sedin-sedin-Hansen 

baertschi-horvat-Virtanen 

McCann-sutter-vrbata 

dorsette-vey-etem 

cracknell

Why's McCann on wing?

16 minutes ago, MedicineHatCanuck said:

From what i heard in the Benning interview yesterday, it sounds like he is activitely shopping for a young defenceman and by activitely I mean he may make a deal for one before the deadline. 

Not what I heard...He basically said in that interview that almost every team in the league is actively shopping for a defence man..and that he most likely will be looking 'in house' to solve our D issues (the asking price for such a deal is our own top prospects..so no dice).....There's no imminent deal at all.

It's obviously nice to see the Canucks give their players respect like this but prust has to go, we don't need him and he's invisible out there

sedin-sedin-Hansen 

burrows-sutter-virtanen

baerschi-horvat-vrbata

etem-McCann-Dorsett 

Cracknell/Kenins/gaunce/

grenier/vey/shinkaruk 

we may plenty of depth to step in contribute the same amount of input as prust 

Archived