The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

1 minute ago, butters said:

you don't even know what WAS done behind closed doors so it means little that you think that.

Every opinion means the same.  I have stated that I don't know what happened numerous times, I'm going from my gut and I've been calling it opinion the whole time.  Yes, I get, my opinion means nothing, I'm over it.

It is not impossible that the offers were really low AND teams wanted the Canucks to retain a bunch of salary.  Exposing him to waivers and seeing if someone picks up the full tab could be a better option to explore first before making on of those deals.

You also might want to be closer to the deadline and see what other deals look like for other players.  Maybe we would rather retain salary on Vrbata and Hamhuis and get a nice return for them.... possibly taking on a bad expiring contract as well.

Cap space is a commodity that can be used to your advantage as well.

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

oh well benning said playoffs, scratch that, but he did say on the fly.  oh right now its a complete rebuild.     weisbrod will save the day I'm sure you will love his American born ushl first rounder.    at least the canucks must have one of the lowest salary caps for management. should be anyways. lol

Lool, even if we did make the playoffs, hard to see Prust being a factor... or even cracking the lineup. 

I joked with a buddy earlier in the season: "Prust is the kind of player who, after his team wins the cup, comes on the ice to celebrate wearing a suit and tie". He's a guy you want in your organization, sure... But not on the ice.

Get the feeling his career with be spent in the AHL from here on...

As for "getting value", give it a rest. Kassian was a ticking time bomb , and Prust has ZERO value after his performance this season. He's right, Virtanen CAN fight his own battles. But now somebody's out of a job ;)

Benning had to dump kassian and he has to throw in a measly 5th rounder for someone to take the cocaine addict for god sakes! Do you people forget kassian was in a truck that crashed into a tree when drugs and alcohol were involved back in September?! 

You can't have an addict around young players, it's a recipe for disaster. Didn't your mom ever tell you to stay away from people like that?! 

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

another loss on Bennings trade record, there adding up.  

i think it was a good move, prust gave us an element we needed...since his injury he hasn't been effective..why?...i don't know, but benning knew what this team needed...he got that piece...he hasn't seen it working now and has moved him out....

this team is still missing that physicality...benning needs another physical player...benning has done fairly good with his moves...no gm is perfect...

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:

is everybody seriously crying over a 5th round pick?

There have been some real gems found in the 5th round or later. Benn, Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Hull, Klingburg and the list just goes on and on. It just takes a great eye for talent in the later rounds, and maybe thinking outside the box.

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

lol good one , I will let you savor the moment, and will not refer to 24

Talking bout Konecny? 

Ehh, coulda been nice but Brock is no slouch. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we took a stab at DeBrincat if we grab another 1st round pick before the draft. He's even more skilled imo

Really sucks that we gave up Kassian (Hodgson) for absolutely nothing... Kassian can still help our team with his size and grit and a few goals.... 

The fact that Hodgson is done doesn't make me feel any better... we wasted a first round pick thanks to incompetent scouting!!!

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

he is happy to be going to Utica with his nhl salary because he new fiancé that he got engaged to the day he was traded here is just across the border from new York, believe me he don't mind.

I doubt that.  I'm sure Higgins wanted to remain in the NHL.  Like Smithers Joe, I'm a fan of Higgins, I'm not upset he was moved to create space for youth, but I think he is a stand-up bloke and I hope he stays in our organization. 

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

To play devils advocate. What will Prust teach the kids, to demand ice-time and to defend themselves?  I don't like that argument with either player though, Travis Green is the one setting the tone in Utica.  Green will embolden the players with good leadership traits to set the examples....like Chris Higgins.  I don't think Kassian or Prust would affect the Utica dressing room.  I'm hoping Higgins turns into Mike Keane...before being folded back into the Canuck mix in some capacity.

Prust likely wouldn't be wrapping his truck around a tree at 5 in the morning.

It has nothing to do with what Kassian would have taught them, it's how he might have influenced them. It was a smart move to keep him away.

5 minutes ago, billabong said:

Benning had to dump kassian and he has to throw in a measly 5th rounder for someone to take the cocaine addict for god sakes! Do you people forget kassian was in a truck that crashed into a tree when drugs and alcohol were involved back in September?! 

You can't have an addict around young players, it's a recipe for disaster. Didn't your mom ever tell you to stay away from people like that?! 

He wasn't a coke addict, he was an alcoholic by his own admission. Both addictions are bad.

Archived