The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

1 minute ago, Rocksterh8 said:

On the other hand, JB could have just demoted Kassian to the farm and saved the 5th round pick..... just saying

And shinkaruk could have been drunk riding shotgun into the tree with teenage girls at 5am too. 

1 minute ago, smokes said:

Yes because putting a player with his off ice issues will set a great example for our prospects.

Amazing how this part is lost on some people. 

They didn't want Kassian around our young guys. They were willing to pay another team to take him off our hands. That's how badly they wanted to dump him.

15 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Prust. ...2,500,000 1 way contact

Tostito...575,000 2 way contract (probably 200,000 in the ahl)

That's 1,925,000 reasons to a team without cap space

Good point!

I was thinking more along the lines of character - but forgot you know, the whole money thing ;p

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

when is Jim FLEECY Benning gonna win one with the BIG BOYS????   pretty soon the other GMs around the league are gonna give him the John Scott treatment and just give him a freebee pick out of sympathy. lol

:picard:

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Amazing how this part is lost on some people. 

They didn't want Kassian around our young guys. They were willing to pay another team to take him off our hands. That's how badly they wanted to dump him.

When Edmonton traded for him and placed him in the minors, Elliotte Friedman mentioned that the Oilers were unique in that almost all of their valuable youth/prospects were in the NHL, and they didn't have too much of value on their farm team. That was one of the reasons they were willing to take that risk with him.

6 minutes ago, smokes said:

Yes because putting a player with his off ice issues in the farm team will set a great example for our prospects.

To play devils advocate. What will Prust teach the kids, to demand ice-time and to defend themselves?  I don't like that argument with either player though, Travis Green is the one setting the tone in Utica.  Green will embolden the players with good leadership traits to set the examples....like Chris Higgins.  I don't think Kassian or Prust would affect the Utica dressing room.  I'm hoping Higgins turns into Mike Keane...before being folded back into the Canuck mix in some capacity.

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

is everybody seriously crying over a 5th round pick?

Between Forsling and this one, Benning is the worst GM ever!

People bring up Vey, but compare that to what L.A. did with McKeown after. Him, AND a 1st, for a playoff rental, and you miss the playoffs entirely?

Man, maybe L.A.'s GM is the worst ever...

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Oh I see, facts like he didn't plow into a tree until he was no longer a Canuck? 

I am honestly surprised at the reaction to my comment.  I like Zack, I never liked Prust.  I don't trash on JB with any regularity, but I call it as I see it.  This club is supposed to be a bastion of support for those with mental illness, and I think more could have been done.  Now be honest, are you reacting out of hate for Kassian or do you really think the trade was good.

you don't even know what WAS done behind closed doors so it means little that you think that.

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

To play devils advocate. What will Prust teach the kids, to demand ice-time and to defend themselves?  I don't like that argument with either player though, Travis Green is the one setting the tone in Utica.  Green will embolden the players with good leadership traits to set the examples....like Chris Higgins.  I don't think Kassian or Prust would affect the Utica dressing room.  I'm hoping Higgins turns into Mike Keane...before being folded back into the Canuck mix in some capacity.

Whatever Prust can bring in Utica, it will be more than Kassian.

13 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

when is Jim FLEECY Benning gonna win one with the BIG BOYS????   pretty soon the other GMs around the league are gonna give him the John Scott treatment and just give him a freebee pick out of sympathy. lol

Do you know what a troll post is?

Because this is a troll post.

In fact, the vast majority of yours are.

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

oh well benning said playoffs, scratch that, but he did say on the fly.  oh right now its a complete rebuild.     weisbrod will save the day I'm sure you will love his American born ushl first rounder.    at least the canucks must have one of the lowest salary totals for management. should be anyways. lol

when exactly did it become a complete re build?

I still see Hansen/ the Sedins/Edler/Tanev not being traded anytime soon.  lmao

It will always be debated that we didnt give Kassian enough of a chance, or if we kept him and he still pulled of the incident in the fall fans would be all over Benning for not moving him.

The fact is we lost the trade, we lost a 5th and a player who was far younger, had more upside and was cost controllable for an older, worn down vet.

Moving Kassian away for 0 return and moving him at all costs, shows me that Benning was obviously quite involved in moving Seguin aswell. Now the caliber of the player is much different I realize, but Boston surely regrets it and has come out basically said that.

If kassian becomes at all effective as an Oiler or nhl player it will always look bad on us.

Whats done is done, but I never was a fan of casting of Kassian, he had issues we have seen that, but we should have tried to rehab him ourselves or brought his value up last year by playing him and moved him at the draft, I do believe he could have played near the end of the year.

Prust was a bad decision from the get go, if we wanted sized and grit we needed to target someone younger, If Benning knew the game was getting faster and he wanted to do this young transition why did he ever want to bring in Prust anyways.

Prust will clear, join Higgins and now 5m in Utica with a soon to be Weber most like adding to that

Archived