The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks trying to Sign Trymakin

Gstank29

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

That would be quite a haul.  

I'd be happy with any of Pouliot, DuMoulin, Honka! haha, Bowey, Carrick in a Hammer deal.

I'm not holding my breath on moving Higgy - and I think he could be a decent asset to have around, both for Utica and if he regains his health/form, could be worth more down the road in a number of forms.

Bart is the one guy I wouldn't mind keeping around - particularly at the value of a 5th.  I like his game more than most folks around here - if Hammer were moved (and not brought back on the Vermette end around), I wouldn't mind seeing Bartkowski re-signed.  I like the combination of skating, decent puck moving, reasonable grit and calmness that he brings at a reasonable price.

But if they could manage returns like you outline on Hammer, Vrby, Weber and Prust - that'd be a pretty sweet coup imo.

Agreed. I think Bart is decent. He's excellent as soon as he's got the puck... it's just defending zone entry that he's weak on. They'll always get it past him and behind the net, he just can't poke check a puck away. A lot of the Canucks D issues are just too many LH guys. Bart with Hammer was terrible, Sbisa with Hutton is so so, Bart and Sbisa was terrifying. Part of that is just when they pass to each other they either have to pass it on their backhand, catch it on their backhand, or spin first to pass or receive it. Really kills the whole idea of mobility which is Bart's biggest strength. Paired with Biega (a RHD) he immediately looked way faster just cuz the passing was less awkward.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd be happy with any of Pouliot, DuMoulin, Honka! haha, Bowey, Carrick in a Hammer deal.

I'm not holding my breath on moving Higgy - and I think he could be a decent asset to have around, both for Utica and if he regains his health/form, could be worth more down the road in a number of forms.

Bart is the one guy I wouldn't mind keeping around - particularly at the value of a 5th.  I like his game more than most folks around here - if Hammer were moved (and not brought back on the Vermette end around), I wouldn't mind seeing Bartkowski re-signed.  I like the combination of skating, decent puck moving, reasonable grit and calmness that he brings at a reasonable price.

But if they could manage returns like you outline on Hammer, Vrby, Weber and Prust - that'd be a pretty sweet coup imo.

While I'm not a fan of Bartkowksi's burps in his own end, I do like his effort level. I felt bad for the guy when I was watching a post game interview where he blew coverage and caused a goal against that decided the game.

He seemed generally crushed by it. That kind of honest accountability made me feel for the guy, and want to see him succeed. The interviewer grilled him pretty hard, for no apparent reason (other than that he was an atypical Vancouver hack/parasite with a pad and pen).

His play with Biega as of late has been trending well for both and as a fan, that's good news.

I'm probably looking too much into this (I tend to do that), but could Benning be pushing for his contract to be released early because of an impending Hamhuis trade and the subsequent whole it would leave in our D?

I'm just saying. Benning hasn't gone on record saying that a Hamhuis trade isn't imminent.

1 minute ago, Boddy604 said:

Agreed. I think Bart is decent. He's excellent as soon as he's got the puck... it's just defending zone entry that he's weak on. They'll always get it past him and behind the net, he just can't poke check a puck away. A lot of the Canucks D issues are just too many LH guys. Bart with Hammer was terrible, Sbisa with Hutton is so so, Bart and Sbisa was terrifying. Part of that is just when they pass to each other they either have to pass it on their backhand, catch it on their backhand, or spin first to pass or receive it. Really kills the whole idea of mobility which is Bart's biggest strength. Paired with Biega (a RHD) he immediately looked way faster just cuz the passing was less awkward.

To me it is all about whether Pedan can bump Bartkowski next fall as the 3LD. It would be tough for him to do that. I do like Bart's play, nice combo as 'Old news' outlined. I would not sign him more than 1 year and he might have offers as a UFA.

2 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'm probably looking too much into this (I tend to do that), but could Benning be pushing for his contract to be released early because of an impending Hamhuis trade and the subsequent whole it would leave in our D?

I'm just saying. Benning hasn't gone on record saying that a Hamhuis trade isn't imminent.

I think they decided pretty early that they needed to get younger and he wasn't going to be our plans.

Rightly or wrongly, I've been anticipating him getting moved since camp.

I do think it'll be a deal right up to the deadline though, and he might be the price setter on D.

are they trying to get him out of his deal early for this year? also i saw april 30 as a date, well we will be golfing at that time so is it just that we can sign and bring him over for next year and april 30 is the day we can make that official

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Of course you slip Honka in there. You could be right! I doubt it, not Nill's style, but who knows?

That's possible. And coupled with FTG reminding me about only having two retentions left, this might not be the year to move him if it requires retaining for next year too. We may want to hold off on those decisions until we decide what our plans are for Burrows and Miller. We might need them to use at the deadline next year.

I can see that. I agree that the price isn't the major factor if only a 5th. It would simply be because we are deciding to open up roster spots for Tryamkin, a UFA signing, and maybe Pedan. Seems like we have Biega pencilled in already. Bart could be useful to keep around as a spot filler, especially if Pedan stays down... but only at the right extension. He could be replaced on the market too.

I can't imagine I'm far off values if all those players get dealt. We will be in that range.

48 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, like all those moves and they are very realistic.  And so far Benning seems to be going in that exact same route, regardless of what the worriers claim and speculate.  He sees the problems just as we all do, and he deals with them.  Like us, JB was straight cheesed at what happened in the playoffs, and rightly so.  He has also accelerated things as this season has gone on, as the kids are starting to take the mantle from the vets now.

Likewise I've maintained that as sorry as our D has appeared at times, all it would take is one trade and/or FA signing and it would suddenly look a whole lot better.  Expecting only one at most of Edler and Hamhuis to be here next year, and maybe neither.

When I make proposals I try to stay in the mindset of what I think the GM will want, not what I would want. My wish/choice of direction are not factored in. This is what I think he will do...

We have more bodies than people give us credit for... and they all need evaluation. For Shinkaruk, for example, the worst thing that could happen is that we try him for 10 games and see he isn't quite ready. That gives him the rest of the AHL season, AHL playoffs, and training camp to up his tempo. 'Failing' is good motivation. Same for Tryamkin, Pedan, and Gaunce. It simply signals a delay, for now. But it makes sense to give them reps this year. Downside, we blow out the year... upside, we still make the playoffs anyway and the kids learn what the pace of the NHL second season is like. That's how we get better. The worst thing in a rebuild is for your kids to go 5 years without a playoff round. Pointless.

I'm certain, through his own words, JB realized last year that we need to do 3 things... 1) get younger, 2) get faster, 3) get grittier/more hungry. I think he's done that well already and we are going to continue that this TDL and offseason. It's the organizational imperative.

Our D has needed an overhaul but that is well underway already. Removing two top 4 D in Hammer and Juice is a big change, as is adding Hutton and, possibly, Tryamkin/Pedan. We will get a major UFA D signing. There is absolutely no reason not to, as we can afford to overpay, and for years. If Edler gets moved, and I agree it's a possibility probably in the offseason, then it's a complete change-over. He doesn't even need to be dealt for a D either... it could be for an upgrade to our F group or for prospects/cap space. 

The change is happening... and we aren't done yet... not by a long shot. I'm happy with the moves. I'm willing to wait until the TDL, playoffs(?) and FA period before I start to assess where this team will be next year. Too many variables.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight, SilentSam. Does Trymakin display more of a physical presence than Chara did back then?

Yes, absolutely..  Chara was strong, but moveable.. From the hilites ive seen of Tryamkin,.  If he takes the puck from you, or wishes to protect it, he simply spins his hips around into you and knocks you away clean and with ease. My guess is much of his weight is anchored in his hips and legs.. Very powerful bottom end. Chara did not have that.

he crushes against the boards, rarely someone left standing if it a committed hit.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Yes, absolutely..  Chara was strong, but moveable.. From the hilites ive seen of Tryamkin,.  If he takes the puck from you, or wishes to protect it, he simply spins his hips around into you and knocks you away clean and with ease. My guess is much of his weight is anchored in his hips and legs.. Very powerful bottom end. Chara did not have that.

Check out his thread in Prospects.  He was ejected from a recent game for a hit, yet he was basically not even moving and the guy just ran into him and got clocked.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

So Trymakin has a big ass, is what you're saying?

Thanks again for the perspective and insight. Good to know that the Canucks may have a monster on their hands. Awesome!

1 hour ago, theminister said:

Ah, so. You're right. Forgot about Lou. Regardless, I think we might be able to get close to that with two more retentions. 

I don't get too hung up on the LH/RH D discussion. Especially not when Pouliot, Hutton, and Sbisa could play the other side. Same goes with the future d-man. It's a 'tomorrow' problem. 

Add in a crazier deal where we can flip Edler for Hamonic, in some fashion, and it's not a problem at all anymore. The pairings would be odd for the rest of the season but I could live with that. 

Exciting possibilities!

Sign me up

Hutton Hamonic

Pouliot Tanev

Tryamkin Sbisa

Pedan

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Check out his thread in Prospects.  He was ejected from a recent game for a hit, yet he was basically not even moving and the guy just ran into him and got clocked.

Saw that Hut :)  typical of a lot of his hits. . .  After a while guys just give up on the close check unless a second  (F2) is close by..   Ive noticed he has a great temperment,  but has been known to drop mitts if needed be .

Archived