The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks trying to Sign Trymakin

Gstank29

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Life was good there  but my family moved here for the exact same reasons as your family did. We all immigrated here for similar reasons.

I still go back. They went thru economic reforms and opened up the economy to the world a few years after I moved here. It's been decades now. I still have family and friends there, keep in regular contact and visit as well. 

This is very interesting stuff.  My family (both sides) moved to Canada in the 18th century.  Les Habitants.  

Eastern Europe has fascinating history.  I think we are blessed as hockey fans to have the best players from these foreign places living and playing in our cities.  Hockey is hockey, and people are people (as you say) but there is still something very special about learning that even though we are similar, we do have interesting differences.  

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yeah, back on Krutov though, I remember when him an Larionov came over. I was ecstatic. I had watched them play over the years and couldn't be happier being a Canucks fan. 

Larionov adjusted to the Canadian way of life right away. He took English lessons and was generally happy to be here. Krutov never liked it. He missed his country too much. Never learned English, didn't take on to Canadian way of life. It wasn't his cup of tea.

I have friends and family members who moved to Canada when they were in their 20's. I can tell you it's not easy. Every single person missed his previous country and way of life. For over a year they mostly talk about how much they miss things the way they were, after a year and close to 2 years they get used to our way of life. It's a process and not everyone takes on to it. 

There are several Russian and Polish guys that I know from work.  I saw one of them reading a *Russian newspaper one day.  I asked him about it and he informed me that there were more than 100,000 Russian expats living in the lower mainland.  It is different for people immigrating today.  He travels back to his home city frequently and is free to travel throughout eastern Europe while there. 

Edit:  Locally published Russian newspaper

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I always get a good laugh when people in North America make comments on how it was to live in these types of countries. Ignorance is comedic and they just have these crazy ideas in their head.

I remember laughing at Pravda back in the day, but now realize that CNN, CBC, and BBC are no different.  People are conditioned to fear others so there's always an "enemy", and always a need for the governanny to protect you from it.

24 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes, of course.  Since the fall of the Iron Curtain, what you say has come to light.  Regular people lived normal enough lives.  The face of those nations that was presented to the west was strictly controlled by the government which until the 80's was mostly what we had to go by.

On topic, Krutov was a soldier and a hockey player. Athletes were one of the things that the eastern block presented to the west.  They were symbols of why their system was better.  The most egregious example is the East German Womens swim team who in the 1970's held all of the records because the girls were forced to take hormones.  Krutov was a soldier and lived a soldiers life.  Even in the west, the life of a soldier is highly regulated and structured.  I was just saying that when Krutov left the army and came to play hockey with the Canucks, he lost the structure.  He was a grown man but never had so many choices in his life and didn't know how to do a lot of basic things to care for himself.  He also had more money than he had ever seen before.  In short, he ate a lot.  Like you say, he didn't have the skill with language that Larionov had and didn't assimilate well.  It's a sad story really. 

He was already overweight and out of shape when he got here. Krutov didn't come here, went to the grocery store saw all this food and couldn't help himself and just ate it all. He came here out of shape.

He was fat and out of shape when he landed at the airport.

It was really difficult for Russians here back then when they first came over. Many coaches, players and fans didn't want them here. They were called commies. Don Cherry used to go on HNIC and rail against the Russians. 

But yeah, they did have a really regimented life in Russia. 

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes, of course.  Since the fall of the Iron Curtain, what you say has come to light.  Regular people lived normal enough lives.  The face of those nations that was presented to the west was strictly controlled by the government which until the 80's was mostly what we had to go by.

On topic, Krutov was a soldier and a hockey player. Athletes were one of the things that the eastern block presented to the west.  They were symbols of why their system was better.  The most egregious example is the East German Womens swim team who in the 1970's held all of the records because the girls were forced to take hormones.  Krutov was a soldier and lived a soldiers life.  Even in the west, the life of a soldier is highly regulated and structured.  I was just saying that when Krutov left the army and came to play hockey with the Canucks, he lost the structure.  He was a grown man but never had so many choices in his life and didn't know how to do a lot of basic things to care for himself.  He also had more money than he had ever seen before.  In short, he ate a lot.  Like you say, he didn't have the skill with language that Larionov had and didn't assimilate well.  It's a sad story really.

Jesus. One little joke about Krutov turns into international diplomacy 101.

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yeah, back on Krutov though, I remember when him an Larionov came over. I was ecstatic. I had watched them play over the years and couldn't be happier being a Canucks fan. 

Larionov adjusted to the Canadian way of life right away. He took English lessons and was generally happy to be here. Krutov never liked it. He missed his country too much. Never learned English, didn't take on to Canadian way of life. It wasn't his cup of tea.

I have friends and family members who moved to Canada when they were in their 20's. I can tell you it's not easy. Every single person missed his previous country and way of life. For over a year they mostly talk about how much they miss things the way they were, after a year and close to 2 years they get used to our way of life. It's a process and not everyone takes on to it. 

I was in Moscow for the '74 WHA series. Not the same experience as yours for sure. What I saw was a regimented people on the surface. Never forget sitting in the arena looking across into a mass of people totally dressed in black clothing. Total silence as if they did not know how to cheer for their team. Soldiers ringing the ice surface,  after the 2nd game where Bobby Hull's goal was not registered, plains clothed single men sitting every 6 seats in the Canadian section.  

Were we paranoid? I think not. Howie Meeker held court in the hotel lobby each morning updated all the interaction between the team and media with the secret police. When we went to the arena for games young kids were there trading pins for gum or whatever we had. Plain clothes police were grabbing them and throwing their pins into the bush. The worse example was while loading our bus for a game and a young kid was caught trying to trade for jeans. Plain clothes police try grabbing him and he was terrified. A number of us grabbed him and dragged him onto our bus. Two KGB types tried to drag him off and we all circled the kid. They left the bus and soon another two cars pulled up and more KGB types tried to drag the kid off. After 1/2 an hour they gave up and the kid rode to the arena with us. When we were getting off the bus half a dozen KGB types came around a corner and grabbed the kid and threw him into a car a drove off.

All this said I spent a night in a bar with a group of Russians only one who spoke any English. They were very curious about Canada but the undeniable truth I gathered was that they loved their country. Also true that their access to any other standard was not there.  

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I was in Moscow for the '74 WHA series. Not the same experience as yours for sure. What I saw was a regimented people on the surface. Never forget sitting in the arena looking across into a mass of people totally dressed in black clothing. Total silence as if they did not know how to cheer for their team. Soldiers ringing the ice surface,  after the 2nd game where Bobby Hull's goal was not registered, plains clothed single men sitting every 6 seats in the Canadian section.  

Were we paranoid? I think not. Howie Meeker held court in the hotel lobby each morning updated all the interaction between the team and media with the secret police. When we went to the arena for games young kids were there trading pins for gum or whatever we had. Plain clothes police were grabbing them and throwing their pins into the bush. The worse example was while loading our bus for a game and a young kid was caught trying to trade for jeans. Plain clothes police try grabbing him and he was terrified. A number of us grabbed him and dragged him onto our bus. Two KGB types tried to drag him off and we all circled the kid. They left the bus and soon another two cars pulled up and more KGB types tried to drag the kid off. After 1/2 an hour they gave up and the kid rode to the arena with us. When we were getting off the bus half a dozen KGB types came around a corner and grabbed the kid and threw him into a car a drove off.

All this said I spent a night in a bar with a group of Russians only one who spoke any English. They were very curious about Canada but the undeniable truth I gathered was that they loved their country. Also true that their access to any other standard was not there.  

Soon as I read 1974 Russia and the fans all dressed in black looking emotionless in your post I remembered John Crosby 1974 Soviet Union. Having seen the video many times of an American performing in the USSR the crowd looks nothing like you describe. People aren't all dressed in black looking suspicious, they look pretty normal. 

Yeah that was the height of the cold war and I'm sure you guys were paranoid as hell and expecting the place to be crawling with KGB types. The smallest incident looks like a huge deal when you are in that state of mind.  

From my experience having travelled to many countries,  when 'street kids' bother tourists the police usually shoo them away. I've seen this hundreds of times. Still happens now in 2016 when we travel to other countries. Very common experience. Every day kinda thing.

And to have soldiers providing security at an event in that part of the world is completely normal. Even now in many parts of the world when you're at a sporting event it's common to see lots of military police in the area. I've seen it countless times. 

Now I'm sure there were KGB present. Just as CIA would be present at a similar event in the USA. But I think they probably had more important assignments than chasing kids away. 

Here's the vid btw. One of the best performances upto that time. people in the stands look pretty normal to me. Not everyone dressed in  black looking suspicious. 

8 hours ago, Yotes said:

any news on if Tryamkin can speak any english yet? Definitely would show a good sign if he has and will ease the transition without a full on language barrier to overcome

I have a feeling Pedan will be his translator for the first little while.

He did say he was working on his English after he was drafted.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:44 PM, WHL rocks said:

Soon as I read 1974 Russia and the fans all dressed in black looking emotionless in your post I remembered John Crosby 1974 Soviet Union. Having seen the video many times of an American performing in the USSR the crowd looks nothing like you describe. People aren't all dressed in black looking suspicious, they look pretty normal. 

Yeah that was the height of the cold war and I'm sure you guys were paranoid as hell and expecting the place to be crawling with KGB types. The smallest incident looks like a huge deal when you are in that state of mind.  

From my experience having travelled to many countries,  when 'street kids' bother tourists the police usually shoo them away. I've seen this hundreds of times. Still happens now in 2016 when we travel to other countries. Very common experience. Every day kinda thing.

And to have soldiers providing security at an event in that part of the world is completely normal. Even now in many parts of the world when you're at a sporting event it's common to see lots of military police in the area. I've seen it countless times. 

Now I'm sure there were KGB present. Just as CIA would be present at a similar event in the USA. But I think they probably had more important assignments than chasing kids away. 

Here's the vid btw. One of the best performances upto that time. people in the stands look pretty normal to me. Not everyone dressed in  black looking suspicious. 

What you say is plausible. My experience was real and what I saw was a pretty regimented effort by a police state. To suggest that my perception of what was happening was a simple misunderstanding is not factual for me. It is like saying the KGB were some kind of neighborhood police force. Much of what happened in that country has now been exposed. It should never be minimized.  

All that said I was returning to the hotel one night and passed the closed doors of the cafeteria styled eating hall. Heard laughing from inside. Opened the door to look and a very drunk Canadian was being treated to a big dinner by three very attentive Russian women. To appreciate this the experience for us to that time with meals had been very bad. Terrible food and service. Not that night for that very drunk Canadian. Never knew any detail.

As I said before the Russians I met were either stone faced or curious about me and my views of Russia.  

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:09 PM, Rush17 said:

What's the latest? Have we heard anything more over the past couple days since the post came out?

I could not find any info in Russian media or fan forums about Tryamkin playing in NA after the Avto playoffs.

Regarding his adaptability to English language and new culture, he is more like Malkin in that regard, definitely not the Ovechkin's easy-going personality.

Archived