The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] The Return of Hamhuis - Flames @ Canucks, Sat Feb 6th 2016, CBC

Salter

Just now, HenButton said:

Exactly.  Rather miss the playoffs, draft high, good off season acquisitions.

As opposed to , making the Play offs , irrationally allowing yourself to feel excited about it, wanting to pull out the car flag, only to watch them get embarrassed and swept, no thanks I'm willing to accept what this team is now

This team really doesn't have what it takes to make the playoffs best thing for this franchise at this point is to cash in on our expiring vets. If it makes us lose a few more games then we would have if we kept them so be it. Get 2 or 3 extra picks in the first couple rounds and pick in the top 5. Or keep everybody have no extra picks and pick 7th haha. On a positive note I thought Hamhuis looked good tonight!

I thought Hammer had a great game tonight.... was scating well, passing well, and even jumped up for a couple chances.

Only thing which pissed me off was when Vey fell down and then fumbled the puck off to Hammer just as the Calgary player was all over him... "Here, I'll dump the puck on you in front of the empty net, and you'll get the blame for the goal..."

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I thought Hammer had a great game tonight.... was scating well, passing well, and even jumped up for a couple chances.

Only thing which pissed me off was when Vey fell down and then fumbled the puck off to Hammer just as the Calgary player was all over him... "Here, I'll dump the puck on you in front of the empty net, and you'll get the blame for the goal..."

Vey will never be a player who can anchor a line in the NHL over a full season. The fact that some Canucks fans think that he can is hilarious. 

Desperate fans believe ridiculous ideas. 

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Vey will never be a player who can anchor a line in the NHL over a full season. The fact that some Canucks fans think that he can is hilarious. 

I don't think a lot of Canuck fans think that at all.

The most I see in Vey is a complementary player, perhaps a decent one.

An example would be how he complements Baertschi and Horvat on the 2nd unit PP which has looked a lot better recently.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

not sure where vey fits over the long term. i know he's got some chemistry with Etem. but he's quite small. not sure if he's built for the western conference type of physical play. might be better suited for the eastern conference. 

vey is a good depth player. maybe Benning is trying to trade him rather than lose him for nothing. if he doesn't make it to the roster next season after preseason. does he require waivers? and if he does. not sure he wouldn't go unclaimed. especially after his recent performance with the big club 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

not sure where vey fits over the long term. i know he's got some chemistry with Etem. but he's quite small. not sure if he's built for the western conference type of physical play. might be better suited for the eastern conference. 

vey is a good depth player. maybe Benning is trying to trade him rather than lose him for nothing. if he doesn't make it to the roster next season after preseason. does he require waivers? and if he does. not sure he wouldn't go unclaimed. especially after his recent performance with the big club 

As of now Vey has replaced Higgins and Prust due to them downplaying themselves more so than Vey outplaying the both of them.

With that said Vey has improved is overall game. He looks better at pretty much everything compared to last year. It is not night and day improvements but it is better than last year.

Vey was gifted with a spot due to our injuries but as of now he doesn't look that bad. I have noticed that over the last few games he has been on the PK which leads me to believe that the coaching staff are trying to further develop his defensive side of his game to probably be a 3rd line player moving forward.

I do think he gets re-signed but I doubt JB keeps him on the main roster at the start of next season if he doesn't show consistency in his improvements during the preseason.

With McCann, Sutter, Sedin and Horvat as our centers moving forward Vey would have to convert to wing in the long term if he wants to stay on our roster in the future which, of course, is firstly dependent on whether or not he can earn that spot.

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

That's called scrambling and it's what every player should do. Better to offload to a team mate on his "feet" than give up the puck and it leads to a goal. These things happen.

17 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think a lot of Canuck fans think that at all.

The most I see in Vey is a complementary player, perhaps a decent one.

An example would be how he complements Baertschi and Horvat on the 2nd unit PP which has looked a lot better recently.

You are correct that Vey is providing some much needed spice to the 2nd unit.

In fact it has looked better, once it is established in the zone, than the 1st unit... the problem is getting into the zone.

Daniel and Henrik have getting into the zone down pat, but lately they are out of ideas once they get there.

But I can't be too optimistic, seems to me Vey is very much of a transition player, he'll be here maybe 2 years, then will be replaced.

I was just pissed off at his stupid play which then made Hamhuis look bad.

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You are correct that Vey is providing some much needed spice to the 2nd unit.

In fact it has looked better, once it is established in the zone, than the 1st unit... the problem is getting into the zone.

Daniel and Henrik have getting into the zone down pat, but lately they are out of ideas once they get there.

But I can't be too optimistic, seems to me Vey is very much of a transition player, he'll be here maybe 2 years, then will be replaced.

I was just pissed off at his stupid play which then made Hamhuis look bad.

I can accept stupid playe.  All players make mistakes.  It's the continuing soft plays that I see him make that are most disturbing.  We really are too easy to play against.  

Archived