The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Just now, Yotes said:

if your gm makes a deal moving out your top producing scoring prospect who he never gave a chance to and he then goes on to produce in the nhl while the acquired player doesnt do much, ya the GM should be under fire

Granlund and Shinkaruk have virtually identical production in the AHL. Once again CDC imagines that every prospect we own will become a surefire thing while very player on any other team isn't an all-star before the age of 23 is useless forever. Calm thyself.

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

Granlund and Shinkaruk have virtually identical production in the AHL. Once again CDC imagines that every prospect we own will become a surefire thing while very player on any other team isn't an all-star before the age of 23 is useless forever. Calm thyself.

Shinkaruk is more pure offense, one shot scores, thats what we lack... we got lots of 2way guys

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Vey...also does that.  Think about it.  As would keeping Cracknell, or simply bringing up Gaunce to play C/LW

granlund has better overall potential than Vey

Our organizational depth for true LWs now is Sedin, Baertschi, Kenins, Gaunce (also a C) and Higgins.  When your depth includes Higgins and Kenins as true LWs and you trade your only offensive LW prospect for another center you are hard pressed to make this sound good.  Shink wouldn't of gotten a fair shot till Daniel retired. Baertschi made Shink expendable

As for not being like Vey, same rough size, same rough AHL stats, same rough 1st year in the NHl, same issue with face offs same grit. He is more like his brother than Vey. You compared him to Vey when you haven't seen him play. Emotions are speaking for you

Not getting a spot in the NHL because of Baertschi and Sedin is also a very poor argument.  One is set to retire soon , 2 maybe 4 years tops.  Shinkaruk is barely 21 years old. Shink will be ready before Daniel is gone.

Sorry man, there's no way you can spin this that I will like.

It is not that hard to understand the move. Whether or not you like it is totally up to you.

Again, hoping to see Shinkaruk tear this club a new one in the near future as we sit at the bottom of the standings for the next few seasons.  I lived through 84-88, I lived through 96-2000 and I can see where this is going again.

You a flames fan now lol?

This time I won't go out and buy a new jersey, I like Shinkaruk, I like his heart and passion and every game I go to that sees the Flames in town, I will wear his jersey and applaud every shift.  It's about hockey, and I like Hunter as a player.

I understand why fans are upset but this is not a horrible deal.

• Upvote 1

Shink and Granlund have very similar numbers.

The big difference is that Granlund plays more of a well rounded game at C. He isn't exactly a pure two way player he has a good offensive skill set that resembles his brother's

Whether or not he pans out idk.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Potential, CDCs watch word for please pan out.

Not gotten a shot, because teams only need 2 LWs

More like his brother, except where everything I just pointed out shows him to be Vey like

Exactly Shink WILL be ready for before Daniel is gone, doesn't mean we needed to bring him up though does it?

It IS hard to understand the move when we've 8 centers and our LW depth for prospects is Shinkaurk and Kenins

So because I am a hockey fan and like the kid I am a flames fan?  That's totally cute.  Guess I'm a panthers fan too cause Jagr?

Not a horrible deal, certainly not a good one.  Period, keep trying to sell it I aint buying it

3 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

So by your own flawed logic, this is going to get JB fired. K.

if shinkaruk turns in to a good scoring forward its not gonna make him look good thats for sure, calgary gave up on granlund for a reason did they not? they need a 2way guy for 3c do they not?

Just now, Yotes said:

if shinkaruk turns in to a good scoring forward its not gonna make him look good thats for sure, calgary gave up on granlund for a reason did they not? they need a 2way guy for 3c do they not?

1. I'm not sure how Calgary gave up on Granlund, here.

2. You're pigeonholing MG as a two-way player despite evidence to the contrary.

3. You seem to be unaware that MK was stuck fairly fair on the depth chart the way HS was suck behind other left wingers here.

Hockey trade, boyo.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So what EXACTLY is the point of this trade.  Is this not just a sideways move?  I don't get the why of this.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This trade isn't bad when you think about it.

Shink wouldn't of gotten a chance with Baertschi and Daniel in the top 6.

Granlund will replace McCann next year. Granlund has way more experience, similar numbers as a center, has produced at the NHL level and went pro as a teen in Finlands top league.

Thanks for this JYD.  This is why I was hesitant to jump to any conclusions myself.. JB isn't perfect, but he seems to have a plan.  And what you are saying makes sense JYD, excited to see him play.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Potential, CDCs watch word for please pan out. I guess SHinkaruk is already a top6 NHL forward then? fire benning

Not gotten a shot, because teams only need 2 LWs Needs a top 6 spot to succeed won't get one here for years.

More like his brother, except where everything I just pointed out shows him to be Vey like Have you seen him play? You're emotions are getting the better of you with the Vey comparison.

Exactly Shink WILL be ready for before Daniel is gone, doesn't mean we needed to bring him up though does it? Makes no sense to keep a player you won't need for a while when you're capable of drafting another one later when you do.

It IS hard to understand the move when we've 8 centers and our LW depth for prospects is Shinkaurk and Kenins top 6 LWs are covered till Danny retires.

So because I am a hockey fan and like the kid I am a flames fan?  That's totally cute.  Guess I'm a panthers fan too cause Jagr? Do you hope that Jagr spanks us when he comes here?

Not a horrible deal, certainly not a good one.  Period, keep trying to sell it I aint buying it I am not trying to sell, you approached me bud.

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

it seems odd since bringing in ETEM and having VEY and SHINKARUK that all played for thre same junior team that they wouldn't at least put them back together to at least see if there was some chemistry..   this trade makes me think that vey is a bust and etem is well not looking as good as originally thought.

Etem's fine but Vey needs to worry.

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

it seems odd since bringing in ETEM and having VEY and SHINKARUK that all played for thre same junior team that they wouldn't at least put them back together to at least see if there was some chemistry..   this trade makes me think that vey is a bust and etem is well not looking as good as originally thought.

Etem is fine despite you trying to smear him in every post you make.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Age and points.  You guess who as it is all AHL based

Age 24:  217 gp, 173 points

Age 22:  107 gp  72 points

Age 21:  119 gp  70 points.

Guess the players

Comparing numbers is so much more reliable and credible than watching the player play.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Potential, CDCs watch word for please pan out. I guess SHinkaruk is already a top6 NHL forward then? fire benning

Not gotten a shot, because teams only need 2 LWs Needs a top 6 spot to succeed won't get one here for years.

More like his brother, except where everything I just pointed out shows him to be Vey like Have you seen him play? You're emotions are getting the better of you with the Vey comparison.

Exactly Shink WILL be ready for before Daniel is gone, doesn't mean we needed to bring him up though does it? Makes no sense to keep a player you won't need for a while when you're capable of drafting another one later when you do.

It IS hard to understand the move when we've 8 centers and our LW depth for prospects is Shinkaurk and Kenins top 6 LWs are covered till Danny retires.

So because I am a hockey fan and like the kid I am a flames fan?  That's totally cute.  Guess I'm a panthers fan too cause Jagr? Do you hope that Jagr spanks us when he comes here?

Not a horrible deal, certainly not a good one.  Period, keep trying to sell it I aint buying it I am not trying to sell, you approached me bud.

Shinkaruk was more top 6 LW than we have left in our org outside of Baerstchi and Sedin

We HAVE years to let him develop, it is called development.  Most successful development model in the league is detroit.  They routinely allow their prospects to marinate until 23 to even 25 years old.  We had time

Yes in fact I HAVE seen Granlund play, not impressed really.  Reminds me of Vey.  Good eyes, moderate speed soft as charmin bad in the dot marginal 2 way game.  

Makes all the sense in the world when you have 2 top 6 LWs in your entire organization and trade away the only one even remotely near NHL level play and then have a prospect or minor LW depth now consisting of...Kenins and Higgins

Do let me know what happens when Dnny or Baertschi gets hurt.  Really like the idea of Kenins and Higgins on that top 6?  Again it is called depth, which we now have none of at that position and skill set

I cheer every single time Jagr scores a goal, you're damned rights man.  It is called being a fan of a sport and a player not a team.  Fan boys are everywhere but enjoying the game in its entirety is far more pleasing.  Hard to hate a legend or a player who shows so much passion.

I didn't approach you, you responded to me, repeatedly.  As you will again.  Now please quote this directly instead of filling in the blanks with bolded text.  It's really lazy

I don't so much mind Granlund as return...I'm just having more trouble seeing where this move is going.

It seems a very lateral move of an easy to like player without the context that I'm sure we'll eventually get...but boy would I love some context.

• Upvote 2