The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Granlund seems okay but I just get the point. 

Hunter leaving because he is stuck behind two guys on the team is fine reasoning...but why trade for a guy who will be in the same scenario with us. 

We needed D and high end offisive talent. We got neither today. 

Granlund basically is what he is. At least Hunter could have developed into a legitimate 1st or 2nd line winger. 

Would have made sense to just trade Gaunce as well and get an actual high end prospect back. 

I'll be honest, my initial reaction was why would Benning give up on Shinkaruk already but looking at the deal a little closer, I really don't mind it. Granlund, being a year and a half older has proven everything he needs to at the AHL level and is ready to be a full time NHLer whereas there is still a high risk that Shinkaruk doesn't pan out at the next level due to his lack of size and two way game. I get that teams need goal scorers, but in today's NHL a player won't last long if they simply can't play defense.

The other complaint I keep seeing on here is that Benning gave up a winger for another center. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that as Sutter, Granlund, Vey and McCann can all play on the wing as well as in the middle. Just look at the LA Kings first Stanley Cup run, they had 7 centremen play regularly (all 20 games) throughout the postseason meaning they had 3 lines with 2 centers on each. To me, having Sedin, Horvat, Sutter, Granlund, McCann, Vey and Cracknell all in the lineup is not a bad thing at all.

25 minutes ago, <DarkGhost> said:

Hunter leaving because he is stuck behind two guys on the team is fine reasoning...but why trade for a guy who will be in the same scenario with us. 

We needed D and high end offisive talent. We got neither today. 

I believe that if Sutter ever gets healthy he will play with the Sedins, leaving a spot open at Centre.

I also believe that either Vrbata or Hansen will be traded at the deadline, depending on return and there may be a possibility of Hamhuis and McCann getting swapped for Drouin.  ( I am not a Drouin fan)

I'll just add some content to this thread from my posts in the other one that people might find useful. I'll keep it mostly to Granlund vs the trade.

I haven't been overly happy with value in a number of Benning's deals, but I've generally been happy with the results. Not so sure I'll be happy on either point with this deal though, and I like Granlund.

Having seen Granlund a few times at the Young Stars tourney and when he was with the Heat and he was often involved with the play and working hard. It's a big step up to the NHL though, especially as a smaller center, so I'm not that certain he'll have a stronger NHL impact than Shinkaruk.

Closer look at the stats and he has low Corsi, but plays against decent competition. Lots of O-zone starts though. Decent shooting percentage when he's on the ice as well as a very good save percentage as well and, similar to Etem in that he takes few penalties but draws a number of them. That's a plus despite us not seeing much in the way of production just yet I guess.

It's kind of like we picked up Vey again but he has a stronger two-way game?

There's more to Granlund than people are giving him credit for, but he's not necessarily a budding superstar who's been underutilized to a great extent either.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For what Granlund MIGHT bring to the table

Why the frag didn't we just trade Vey and a 3rd to Montreal for Eller....

It wouldn't be tanking now <_<

Edited by Odd.

So confused by this trade....its not that I think the value isn't equal its just why the timing. I would rather have taken the risk to see what Shinkaruk would have become then get Granlund for right now, when you don't really need him. 

He isn't going to help you make the playoffs. You have Vey, Cracknell and McCann that can play behind Bo & Hank for the rest of the year. Even if there are injuries just call up from players from AHL. This actually harm us in getting in a higher draft pick. 

Also don't understand how Granlund helps us next year. We have Hank, Bo, Sutter and McCann. If you want Sutter to play RW what we actually need then is a 4th line C that is great at face-offs, at PK and preferably is RHD....complete opposite of Granlund. 

I have a feeling there has to be another trade coming to move a C. My guess is McCann involved in either Drouin trade or for a good young D. 

If this is it to the trade I don't like it at all. Hopefully there is more coming. 

1 minute ago, thaji said:

So confused by this trade....its not that I think the value isn't equal its just why the timing. I would rather have taken the risk to see what Shinkaruk would have become then get Granlund for right now, when you don't really need him. 

He isn't going to help you make the playoffs. You have Vey, Cracknell and McCann that can play behind Bo & Hank for the rest of the year. Even if there are injuries just call up from players from AHL. This actually harm us in getting in a higher draft pick. 

Also don't understand how Granlund helps us next year. We have Hank, Bo, Sutter and McCann. If you want Sutter to play RW what we actually need then is a 4th line C that is great at face-offs, at PK and preferably is RHD....complete opposite of Granlund. 

I have a feeling there has to be another trade coming to move a C. My guess is McCann involved in either Drouin trade or for a good young D. 

If this is it to the trade I don't like it at all. Hopefully there is more coming. 

I would think Benning will move him to wing or he will be playing big minutes in Utica next year

18 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I would think Benning will move him to wing or he will be playing big minutes in Utica next year

I would think Benning would move him to st Louis for Steve ott. Lots of character.  

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Good to know you support this guy. It is not easy coming to a new organization. 

Why would I support him? I've seen him play 30-40 games in Calgary and you know what? Each game he blew me away with how useless he was and now we just traded Shinkaruk for him? We have the worst scouts and gm in the league.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

Why would I support him? I've seen him play 30-40 games in Calgary and you know what? Each game he blew me away with how useless he was and now we just traded Shinkaruk for him? We have the worst scouts and gm in the league.

Well he is our property now.

You will have to learn to accept that.

Whether or not you like it Granlund is a Canuck.

Edited by Junkyard Dog