The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Yes Granlund had good ahl numbers but they still gave him a shot in the nhl. SInce Granlund was drafted they also got lucky with gaudreau and drafted 2 studs in monahan and Bennett. They saw what Granlund brought in the nhl and decided to trade for a younger prospect with a scoring upside. Dropping Granlund down their depth charts

Canucks, saw Shinkaruk make big strides in his 2nd full year of pro hockey, on pace to get around 30 goals in the ahl. Yes he is a winger similar to baertschi but whats wrong with that, he was our only true lw prospect.

This also looks like Gaunce is gone. Lets be real what Granlund has to offer is exactly what Gaunce is. A 2 way C who can pk, play C and LW. They give Gaunce 2 nhl games and he scores a goal then gets buried in Utica. Gaunce must see this as a road block for him to make the canucks does he not?

Canucks gave Shinkaruk 1 nhl game with 9min of ice time before giving up on him and saying his game wont translate to the nhl, Calgary  gave granlund 86 nhl games spread over 3 different nhl seasons. I  would say they gave him a true chance before deciding to move on from him. Canucks not so much, a knee jerk reaction.

would have thought maybe benning would target Backlund over Granlund

Just now, Warhippy said:

Shinkaruk was more top 6 LW than we have left in our org outside of Baerstchi and Sedin

We HAVE years to let him develop, it is called development.  Most successful development model in the league is detroit.  They routinely allow their prospects to marinate until 23 to even 25 years old.  We had time

Shink would of pushed for a spot next year and maybe he would be good enough for one. But Baerstchi and Daniel are keeping one from him

Yes in fact I HAVE seen Granlund play, not impressed really.  Reminds me of Vey.  Good eyes, moderate speed soft as charmin bad in the dot marginal 2 way game.  Why did you not mention this in the first place? I call bs

Makes all the sense in the world when you have 2 top 6 LWs in your entire organization and trade away the only one even remotely near NHL level play and then have a prospect or minor LW depth now consisting of...Kenins and Higgins

We have plenty of years to draft another one that would be able to make our team at a younger age

Do let me know what happens when Dnny or Baertschi gets hurt.  Really like the idea of Kenins and Higgins on that top 6?  Again it is called depth, which we now have none of at that position and skill set

Granlund can slot in. Versatile brother.

I cheer every single time Jagr scores a goal, you're damned rights man.  It is called being a fan of a sport and a player not a team.  Fan boys are everywhere but enjoying the game in its entirety is far more pleasing.  Hard to hate a legend or a player who shows so much passion. Pointless for me to argue against this

I didn't approach you, you responded to me, repeatedly.  As you will again.  Now please quote this directly instead of filling in the blanks with bolded text.  It's really lazy I must of not been paying attention. I don't really care if you think it is lazy. It is not really important not the actual topic

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Age and points.  You guess who as it is all AHL based

Age 24:  217 gp, 173 points

Age 22:  107 gp  72 points regular season 85gp 72p post season 4gp 5p

Age 21:  119 gp  70 points. post season 23gp 6p

Guess the players

So your saying we got the best player in the trade?  Cause that's what your numbers are telling me.

Edited by Wedge-tailed Eagle

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why though did Baer make Shink expendable.  It seems to me that Grandlund plays more like Baer - playmaker more than a finisher.  I'm not at all mad, only confused as to the point of the trade for a player who plays exactly like Baer.

If he can play like Baertschi has then I won't be too mad, because, not only do we need more finishers, we also need some great setup men as well, and those are hard to find too.

All I ask is to give Granlund a chance. He is our property now.

I can't stop anyone from hating this deal or trying to understand it they way I do.

I think it is unfair to him to criticize him negatively prior to not even playing a single game for us.

I need a nap.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Yotes said:

This also looks like Gaunce is gone. Lets be real what Granlund has to offer is exactly what Gaunce is. A 2 way C who can pk, play C and LW. They give Gaunce 2 nhl games and he scores a goal then gets buried in Utica. Gaunce must see this as a road block for him to make the canucks does he not?

Gaunce  has been playing LW for a while and is looking good doing it.

this may be more about his liking for Gaunce and other guys who can play two positions well.

maybe Gaunce gets his shot to make the team?

Edited by TheOgRook
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Gaunce  has been playing LW for a while and is looking good doing it.

this may be more about his liking for Gaunce and other guys who can play two positions well.

maybe Gaunce gets his shot to make the team?

he is been a C for a while in Utica. So if you are correct we chose to keep the less offensive explosive but more defensive minded player?

Because the league is trying to prevent goals ebing scored because there is too many, oh wait we are trying to get more scoring... I hope I am wrong but this just doesnt look like a good move. If granlund can only play C I dont see where he fits, he struggled as a winger apparently...

No matter how the trade pans out (obviously fearing and even expecting the worst), i will NEVER understand why Shinkaruk was given merely ONE game in the NHL since Shinkaruk IS one of the best goalscorers in the AHL, and we are currently the 3rd WORST team in Goals For in the entire league. It's absolutely mind boggling. It's true that Baertschi and Shinkaruk are 2 fairly similiar players, but it honestly shouldn't make Shinkaruk expandable since we actually have few prospects with legit top6 scoring potential like Shinkaruk has. Outside of Boeser, Shinkaruk was probably the only one. I also don't think that our top6 "is set" going forward, it's not like our top6 is stacked with overwhelmingly offensive talent. Sedins contracts will be up in 2 years, Hansen happens to have career year this year, Vrbata will most likely be gone in the off-season, and Baertschi is basically making his 1st strides as a pro player. Virtanen is cracking the 2nd line because he brings more of a physical presence to that line, not really because he has been offensively talented enough.

My initial reaction was "Dude, Benning, what the hell are you doing. You just traded a 21 year old for a 24/25 year old. You suck."

But then I did some researching and found out that Markus Granlund is just a year older than Shinkaruk with a season's worth of games played in the NHL. Then I see that his points in the A are solid. And he did very good playing in the Finnish league in his teen. 

Let's try it out. I absolutely loved Shinkaruk. His cele's as well as his goal scoring and skillset really is something that I'll miss. McCann going to the AHL might be a strong possibility next year.

Just now, Warhippy said:

don't worry mine is too.  I think by days end nobody will have any posts left, we'll all reach our max by 7:30

Yeah I can't argue anymore. I will run out of posts and my brain is half asleep.

I will admit that I will miss Shinkaruk but I want to see how this deal pans out before I judge Benning's trade. I am not the type to jump to conclusions on trades right away, I try to examine them and find the reasoning behind them.

I am an optimist however and hope that Granlund does pan out. He has my support.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I can't argue anymore. I will run out of posts and my brain is half asleep.

I will admit that I will miss Shinkaruk but I want to see how this deal pans out before I judge Benning's trade. I am not the type to jump to conclusions on trades right away, I try to examine them and find the reasoning behind them.

I am an optimist however and hope that Granlund does pan out. He has my support.

Like him or not, I will attend every game against Calgary wearing my Shinkaruk Jersey and cheer at every damned goal

The big problem I have with this deal is that Granlund is similar to many of our other prospects, while Shinkaruk was our flashiest (Boesser is very good, but not as flashy).

I would have rather found out if Shinkaruk was a bust than trade for Granlund.

• Upvote 3