The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

If you guys don't like the way this team is being built then go watch Dallas or Tampa like Gstank mentioned.

Or learn to accept the type of team that's trying to be built. 

It is pointless to bicker and complain about something that cannot be changed or thwarted.

Yea we're building the next Toronto Maple leafs. 

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You're missing the point. Ehlers > Virtanen. Ehlers is much harder to draft than Virtanen. You're saying Jake needs more time to develop well Ehlers only needed half an NHL season to turn into a top 6 forward. He is going to the face of Jets for years to come. Virtanen will never be good enough to be the face of Vancouver and if he is then you're team is in big trouble.

Ehlers has elite skill, as does W. Nylander.  The question is, do these two have the character to take the beating they will take to display that skill, or do they fade to the perimiter, like so many skilled guys do with weak character.  Benning felt that both these players did not have the character to battle through the crap that will come their way.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ehlers has elite skill, as does W. Nylander.  The question is, do these two have the character to take the beating they will take to display that skill, or do they fade to the perimiter, like so many skilled guys do with weak character.  Benning felt that both these players did not have the character to battle through the crap that will come their way.  

Benning has been wrong about basically everything. He believes this team is making the playoffs and he's making moves to try and make the playoffs. That's all you need to know about JB.

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Benning has been wrong about basically everything. He believes this team is making the playoffs and he making moves to try and make the playoffs. That's all you need to know about JB.

This is not fair.  Your Avatar looks too much like Raqual Welch to argue with.  :wub:

Listening to the Benning presser he alludes that he feels the goals hunter scored maybe he couldn't replicate in the NHL due to his lack of strength and his release....interesting. Seemed like he had a good release to me. Benning seemed high on Gaunces 'details' too which is good. Hopefully see gaunce up soon. I might have to go and watch some old flames games, cant really recall much about granlunds game.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I don't want to talk about this guy, like at all

All the frigging fun we made of Calgary for drafting Poiriere or howveer you spell it and passing over hometown boy Hunter and THIS happens?

Another center, another Linden frigging Vey?

I am making a serious knee jerk response here admittedly but what the shart farking hell is this crap?

I hope Shinkaruk Monahan and Gaudreau torch this team for the next decade every single game that we play.  Canucks fan for life or not this trade makes the Keenan years and the Messier signing look intelligent.

We traded our best offensive prospect for...another center, with marginal upside and the same statlines and rough size/grit as Linden frigging Vey.  And for those touting his AHL numbers, might I remind you that Vey is/was a ppg player in the AHL as was Clendenning.

Where are they now?  One is a scapegoat and one is not even on the team anymore.

Think about it

And then on the flip side, why are you so high on Shink? He has good AHL numbers, might I remind you that Vey is/was a ppg player in the AHL as was Clendenning and also Shroeder too.  Where are they now? Think about it

I like this player. He seems like a guy who could be a useful top-6 winger and can shift around when injuries hit. Next year he takes McCann's spot and puts up some decent points. Long term he is on Horvat or McCann's wing:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Burrows - Granlund - Etem

Gaunce - Zalewski - Dorsett

Grenier

Long term:

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Granlund - McCann - Boeser

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

You're missing the point. Ehlers > Virtanen. Ehlers is much harder to draft than Virtanen. You're saying Jake needs more time to develop well Ehlers only needed half an NHL season to turn into a top 6 forward. He is going to the face of Jets for years to come. Virtanen will never be good enough to be the face of Vancouver and if he is then you're team is in big trouble.

Sorta agree with the first 2 but that doesn't mean Jake can't work his way up.

JV will take longer to develop but he might end being more valuable to his team than Ehlers is to the Jets.

With that said, the main argument fans throw around against drafting Ehlers was his size (5'11 - 6'0). Yet we traded for Baerstchi and Vey...

44 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

And then on the flip side, why are you so high on Shink? He has good AHL numbers, might I remind you that Vey is/was a ppg player in the AHL as was Clendenning and also Shroeder too.  Where are they now? Think about it

Keep reading through the thread, I made my points

Geez, I knew it, watching Virt yesterday, he's playing a junior level game. What's more is that if he can't do anything he goes around chasing people

It's not as if Benning makes these decisions on his own. 

1. He met with his pro scouts who have scouted both Shinkaruk and Granlund.
  2. He discusses Shinkaruks progress with Travis Green
  3. He consults with John Weisbrod who has inside knowledge from the Flames organization on Granlund from last year
  4. He scouts Shinkaruk and Granlund himself

The conclusion? 

Shinkaruk.  There is some doubt as to whether Shinkaruk can be an effective goal scorer at the NHL level.  Certainly not as a bottom 6 winger.  As a junior, he was known for going to the greasy areas etc.  I saw none of that at the NHL level (his 1 game and in preseason).  Needs to play top 6 and is behind Sedin and Baertschi in the depth chart.  His redundancy is partly based on Baertschi's success.

Granlund.  Has proved that he can be effective at the NHL level, more importantly in the bottom 6.  14-14-28 in 86 games.  So he can slot into the line up right away at centre or wing.

So, by making the trade they now have a player who can fit into this line up.  Is he a long term fit?  Time will tell.  But in the short term, he gives them the luxury of sending McCann to Utica for development.  And he makes Linden Vey redundant.

It is good for Shink too because he has been sent to a team where he will have the chance to play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Guys how about keeping the talk in this thread to Mikael Granlund talk. cheers::D 

After 90+ pages of the trade thread, I came here hoping to find out about and discuss Markus Granlund, but the same haters of the trade are just going off in here, too.  Is one thread not enough for you to vent that you have to fire it up here too?

Can you not simply accept the fact that GRANLUND IS A CANUCK NOW and discuss HIM here?  Please debate the trade in the trade thread.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

After 90+ pages of the trade thread, I came here hoping to find out about and discuss Markus Granlund, but the same haters of the trade are just going off in here, too.  Is one thread not enough for you to vent that you have to fire it up here too?

Can you not simply accept the fact that GRANLUND IS A CANUCK NOW and discuss HIM here?  Please debate the trade in the trade thread.

Great way to contribute to the thread. 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Exactly what I thought HW but tried to be as nice as I could in delivery of my message. 

I agree with what you're saying except I think that small skilled forwards are more common than power forwards especially in the top 10 of the draft. 

Just now, Crabcakes said:

I agree with what you're saying except I think that small skilled forwards are more common than power forwards especially in the top 10 of the draft. 

He was not "small" though he was underweight which can easily be remedied. It's not like Jake Virtanen is some beast either at 6'1.