The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Eric Gelinas Available

Mathew Barzal

Would be worth looking into. Jersey fans think he's regressed but he would be an upgrade on our bottom pairing and we could use his shot on the powerplay.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2016/02/is_devils_eric_gelinas_in_trouble_after_voicing_hi.html#incart_river_index

"Yesterday I was frustrated. I had a talk with John this morning. I shouldn't have said some of the things I said yesterday," Gelinas told NJ Advance Media. "We talked about it and he's right. I guess I was frustrated.

"It's a matter of working hard, getting better every day and trying to compete for a spot. Even though it is a frustrating situation, I have to battle through it. Maybe the frustration got a part of me. I wasn't happy, but that's on me, I guess."

Gelinas was quoted in The Record: "I guess (Hynes) likes the way guys are playing. I don't know. I wish I knew. I hear positive things that they (the coaches) see progress and stuff, but then nothing changes. So, it is frustrating."

I wouldn't consider him a Top young Dman, as his foot speed/actual speed is very slow and makes it hard for him to defend on the rush. But like GOOSE said, he has an absolute bomb. If he could be had for cheap, it might be worth a flyer. He's better than Weber at the very least.

6 points minus 8 seems like the type of Benning guy. Big slow, over-rated, quick Benning trade Gaunce and a 2nd for him. or better yet your known to be  the king of bad trades, just trade McCann and Gaunce for him and then explain to us how Wiesbro didn't like Gaunce and how Gaunce was not good enough to make the NHL. 

4 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

6 points minus 8 seems like the type of Benning guy. Big slow, over-rated, quick Benning trade Gaunce and a 2nd for him. or better yet your known to be  the king of bad trades, just trade McCann and Gaunce for him and then explain to us how Wiesbro didn't like Gaunce and how Gaunce was not good enough to make the NHL. 

In all fairness Granlund is not big or over rated just slow

Gelinas has been working on his defensive game and focusing on being a better defenseman as per his coaches demands, problem is he is improving his allround game but not getting an opportunity now after doing what has been asked of him by the coaching staff.

He is not the slowest defender out there and has good size to go along with one of the better shots in the League, he is someone a team should strongly take a look at and in Vancouver's case he may be someone to continue developing while providing some much needed production from the back end if not at least on the power play.

Severson appears to be the defenseman New Jersey won't part with, there was a small window earlier where he could have been attainable but I think Gelinas is the player now who could be moved, given a fresh start and perhaps not being over-coached could result in a nice find for another club.

Archived