Over the previous 17 games the Canucks had a record of 5-11-1 for 11 points

this now translates to a 73 point season

That should put us in around the 4-6 lottery spot

And  just to make your hearts bleed

This is where we were  5 years ago today

CdCc1DYUAAA31PS.jpg

10 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Hypothetical question. 

Lets say we win the draft lottery, and AZ calls Benning to talk about bringing Mathews home. What would it take to make that deal happen? 

Depends what spot AZ is in, but:

1st overall

Burrows

Higgins

for

AZ 1st 2016

AZ 1st 2017

OEL

One of:

Domi

Duclair

32 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

1st overall

Burrows

Higgins

for

AZ 1st 2016

AZ 1st 2017

OEL

One of:

Domi

Duclair

huge price to pay on Arizona's part for sure. not sure if they depart with both OEL AND Domi. if we could pry those two out of the 'Yotes. I'd be extremely pleased. and if Arizona drafts in the top four. haha. and we get one of Chychrun or Laine. I'd be ecstatic. that would be an amazing draft. and the rest of the summer filled with excitement and hope again. 

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

He would be imo. I don't want a thug or a cheap shot artist I want an Iginla/Rypien type of player.

What exactly did Rypien have in Common with Iginla. Not in terms of scoring obviously but just toughness.

Two completely different players

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Canucks have 17 games remaining and 62 points

Over the previous 17 games the Canucks had a record of 5-11-1 for 11 points

this now translates to a 73 point season

That should put us in around the 4-6 lottery spot

And  just to make your hearts bleed

This is where we were  5 years ago today

CdCc1DYUAAA31PS.jpg

Boys and Girls, the Sedins we're a big part of this success and even now they still fill a big role in our team. Just want to let you know that the Twins came from 2nd and 3rd overall. Let's not be pretentious when we're losing and know that that is what it will take to get a possible superstar

23 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Matthew Tkachuk.

Benning will take the best player available, and won't be drafting by position.

This guy reminds me of 18 yr old Sam Bennett! Lol

hes only 18!!!

seriously though he does remind me of him. Has some of those intangibles and likes to do what needs to be done.  

Churyen could be amazing but will see. Good d are typically more coveted but if you think Tkakauk has first line potential nab him.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

1st overall

Burrows

Higgins

for

AZ 1st 2016

AZ 1st 2017

OEL

One of:

Domi

Duclair

You won't even get OEL for the 1st overall straight-up and you want them to add two potential top 5 picks AND Domi/Duclair on top of that? OEL is one of the most untouchable assets in the league and Matthews, as good as he is, is not McDavid-good.

I don't really see Tkachuk ending up as anything more than a tremendous support player; a guy every team wants on their roster but not an impact franchise-level player. IMO, outside of the top 3, the two players who possess the most franchise-level upside are PLD and Chychrun.

Chychrun has become VERY underrated, these last few months, since his offense seemed to have dipped. But he's really rebounding and looks like a potential #1D in the future. Maybe it's his shoulder issues that have caused him to dip (and the fact that Sarnia isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse) but they doesn't look to be effecting him right now.

Pierre Luc Dubois will be the guy everybody looks back on and thinks "why didn't we pick him sooner". He has everything you could want in a forward prospect: 6ft 3+", 205lbs+, tremendous offensively, tough, very solid two-way game and he can play center and the wing, like ROR and Benn. I have a feeling this guy is the next Benn/Benn-lite.

I'm hearing a lot of scouts saying that they have PLD as the #2, after Matthews, with the way he's trending. The problem is, the secret is out and now he seems to be climbing a lot of draft rankings. He might even be gone, by the time we pick.

On 3/7/2016 at 1:39 PM, Jaku said:

If the a Canucks have the 4th and Tkachuk is still available and Benning doesn't take him, there will be a riot. 

Why? I mean, I wouldn't put it past this market... but I seriously doubt 95% of the people in this town have even seen MT play or know anything about him, other than the fact that he's a gritty pest-type whose dad was Keith.

He's not good enough to be a sure-fire #4. Any one of Tkachuk, Chychrun, PLD, or Nylander could get picked in that #4 spot and any one of them would be a valid choice.

I voted for Juolevi, but at the end of the day, to be honest, I'd probably be taking Tkachuk. 

My dream scenario would be that a team like Carolina, with two first round picks, is really high on Tkachuk and the Canucks are able to swap picks; the Canucks then get a top 10 pick and take Juolevi and also the 1st round pick that Carolina receives from LA. Use that later LA pick for a guy like Alex DeBrincat (if he's still around), Tyler Benson, or Markus Niemelainen.

I voted for Juolevi, but at the end of the day, to be honest, I'd probably be taking Tkachuk. 

My dream scenario would be that a team like Carolina, with two first round picks, is really high on Tkachuk and the Canucks are able to swap picks; the Canucks then get a top 10 pick and take Juolevi and also the 1st round pick that Carolina receives from LA. Use that later LA pick for a guy like Alex DeBrincat (if he's still around), Tyler Benson, or Markus Niemelainen.

My Proposed Draft Strategy

Summary

-1st round no matter where we pick, take the Best Player Available.

-2nd round onward, draft for organizational need (Defenseman)

Explanation

In my opinion, this gives us the best of both worlds and best helps this organization moving forward. Even if we don't need the BPA, it gives us options to move assets for pieces that we do need. In the following rounds (2nd round onward) we pick Defenseman, which fills organizational needs for the future. Some may say it is better to draft a Defenseman in the 1st round, but enough to pass on a franchise player like Matthews, Laine, Puljujärvi, Tkachuk, etc??? I'm not necessarily saying we will be in position to draft one of them, but I'm using it as an example to support my BPA strategy. Also, there have been lots of quality Defenseman drafted in the 2nd and later rounds in the past (Examples: P.K. Subban, Duncan Keith, Dustin Byfuglien, Adam Foote, John-Michael Liles, etc.)

I welcome your thoughts/opinions whether in agreement or disagreement.

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

There's actually quite a few teams with two 1st this draft.

Carolina, Arizona, Toronto, Boston, Jets, and possibly Calgary.

There could be lots of options if we win a lottery slot.

1 hour ago, theminister said:

There's actually quite a few teams with two 1st this draft.

Carolina, Arizona, Toronto, Boston, Jets, and possibly Calgary.

There could be lots of options if we win a lottery slot.

I agree but I think that Carolina has the perfect storm of drafting positions. Their own pick is not so early in the draft that they will be unwilling to give it up/willing to see what's there when they pick. Their acquired pick is not so late in the draft that its basically a 2nd rounder. Arizona, Toronto, Jets, and Calgary are all going to be drafting in the top 6-7. IMO, teams in that range won't be willing to trade their pick without getting something substantive in return. Boston's two picks are too late in the draft to get a guy like Juolevi. 

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tkachuk plays nothing like Gagner.

He's a 200 foot player that plays with an edge and puts up points. Pretty much exactly what you want in a forward.

You're focusing too much on points, and not on style of play.

We need a player with the highest upside possible at this pick, no body dislikes Tkatchuks style of play the concern is upside. Can he be an elite scorer was my question, and I have doubts, he would be a very nice addition but I don't know if he's going to be able to drive offense consistently at an elite level in the NHL like he is in junior.

19 hours ago, stawns said:

The Canucks are getting bigger and faster, but still don't have much of an edge, Tkachuk would be a welcome upgrade there

Wasn't the Virtanen pick about getting a player with an edge? And how to Dubois and Chychurn not play with an edge? Both do.

17 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Hypothetical question. 

Lets say we win the draft lottery, and AZ calls Benning to talk about bringing Mathews home. What would it take to make that deal happen? 

Starts with Strome & their first I would think, then add whatever it takes to make the deal happen from there.

Archived