The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata comments on season struggles - gives out a few jabs

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.thescore.com/news/970987

Radim Vrbata will return to the Vancouver Canuckslineup Monday in Los Angeles, but you could forgive him for wanting the season to be over already.

The 34-year-old hasn't played since Feb. 21 due to a groin injury, and has only 12 goals and 12 assists in 57 games. It's been a nightmare few months, a season removed from scoring 31 goals.

Vrbata will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, and he's got the remainder of his season to up his value. He wasn't moved at the trade deadline, which means suitors won't likely be banging on his door on July 1.

Asked by the Vancouver Province's Ben Kuzmahow tough the season has been, Vrbata was honest.

"We could be here a while," he said.

"It's been frustrating and there's not just one thing you could pinpoint and if not the most frustrating season, it's certainly one near the top."

Vrbata's a veteran. He broke into the league in 2001 and has 258 goals and 293 assists in 928 regular-season games over his career. 

"To score goals in this league you need to have guys around you who are clicking," Vrbata said. "There aren’t too many guys who can do it on their own."

...that saying 'true character is revealed in the face of adversity' - Exhibit A: Radim Vrbata.

Man is this guy ever a piss poor teammate. When the tough gets going, he does a magic act, disappears, and then seems to always be whining. Fails to take onus of his own play which has been porous and just sounds like all sore loser all around.

I mean I loved Vrbata the first season, pretty certain everyone did. He was doing great and all, but this final year has revealed a lot of his character or shall I say, lack of therefore. Swear it was just last week he said "I will not be a distraction" to the team after he found out he was being scratched in favour of younger players...

Definitely not a leader in anyway nor the type of player you want around young players. But I guess management was sold on the thought of keeping him around to help the youngsters grow up in that 'winning environment'. There goes that idea. 

Last bit of the article is the worst. Clearly he threw the team and his linemates under the bus. Thanks for all you did in your time here but time to piss off. Hope management sits Vrby out the remainder of the year or better yet sends him down to the A.

PS,

...Burr could've easily named a special someone when he mentioned a "grumpy old guy" a few days back..

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I'd personally like to see vrbata pack his bags now. Like today now.however, I understand how that would hurt us with future UFAs if we told him to just stay home. 

Vrbata has been whining all season.  It started in the preseason when he was not with the Twins, and it hasn't stopped.  It's really not surprising JB couldn't move him.  Guys just don't all of a sudden become sour.  I'm sure his reputation is well known, and now he's just not good enough for a team to be willing to put up with his crap.  Except us, of course. :lol:

18 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

http://www.thescore.com/news/970987

...that saying 'true character is revealed in the face of adversity' - Exhibit A: Radim Vrbata.

Man is this guy ever a piss poor teammate. When the tough gets going, he does a magic act, disappears, and then seems to always be whining. Fails to take onus of his own play which has been porous and just sounds like all sore loser all around.

I mean I loved Vrbata the first season, pretty certain everyone did. He was doing great and all, but this final year has revealed a lot of his character or shall I say, lack of therefore. Swear it was just last week he said "I will not be a distraction" to the team after he found out he was being scratched in favour of younger players...

Definitely not a leader in anyway nor the type of player you want around young players. But I guess management was sold on the thought of keeping him around to help the youngsters grow up in that 'winning environment'. There goes that idea. 

Last bit of the article is the worst. Clearly he threw the team and his linemates under the bus. Thanks for all you did in your time here but time to piss off. Hope management sits Vrby out the remainder of the year or better yet sends him down to the A.

PS,

...Burr could've easily named a special someone when he mentioned a "grumpy old guy" a few days back..

I heard this clip, Burrows is, and will always be special for Vancouver fans.

You know, maybe there's a reason why Vrbata is on his sixth team (seven changes, but twice with the Coyotes). Seems like he gets somewhere, besides Phoenix, and leaves in two years. Hmm...

Don't see the 'Yotes resigning him. They're on a youth movement themselves. Maybe the end of the road, at least in the NHL?

showing little class vrbata is doing now you have to kinda take a couple things to realization... 

1.He honestly admitted to choosing the canucks instead of the canadians because of the twins.

2. when he was with the twins the power play was better and the the line was good in his first season.

3. Vrbata is right in a sense that you need line mates to click... in which why he wanted to play with the twins...

4. Vrbata like the rest of them is struggling.... Vrbata is not alone in that department.

5. vrbata had a great first season with the canucks... in fact one of many reasons they did make the playoffs.

It is easy to jump all over a player, especially when he handles things in a certain manner... but honestly judge what he says with an open mind to his point of view.

1 minute ago, SedinMadness said:

showing little class vrbata is doing now you have to kinda take a couple things to realization... 

1.He honestly admitted to choosing the canucks instead of the canadians because of the twins.

2. when he was with the twins the power play was better and the the line was good in his first season.

3. Vrbata is right in a sense that you need line mates to click... in which why he wanted to play with the twins...

4. Vrbata like the rest of them is struggling.... Vrbata is not alone in that department.

5. vrbata had a great first season with the canucks... in fact one of many reasons they did make the playoffs.

It is easy to jump all over a player, especially when he handles things in a certain manner... but honestly judge what he says with an open mind to his point of view.

Preach. 

Archived