The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT & PGT: Preds vs Nucks, Saturday, Mar.12, 2016, 7 PM PST on CBC

Qwags

10 minutes ago, chon derry said:

whats in the past is in the past ,can't change that. this team is rebuilding, irregardless of its draft position jb will pick the best player available end of story! but please stop thinking that by losing the rest of this season so we can get down to  maybe 5th oa ,rather than playing it out the way were goin it'll probably go 8 or 9th .  do you actually yourself know the difference because reading your posts or any other pro tanker ,they all seem to think 4 o5 oa is going to turn this team around immediately. the last team to successfully do it was pittsburg 84 and they still had to build a team around mario. we don't have to build around anyone ,we have the basis for a good team already. 

So very well said...that last line in particular.

It's like some aren't even open to seeing the potential we do have because they're convinced that the only key to success is to find it in a gem.....a lone superstar.  I'm liking how some of the pieces in place are providing a huge spark via energy and physicality.  The ability to carry the puck (Hutton).  The ability to find the net (Sven).  The leadership and drive of Bo...who is exciting every time he gets near the puck.  Jake's swagger and fearlessness. So many things to build from in the here and now (too). So let's not neglect that aspect of things, as some would like to do.  Just lose and eventually we'll win.  Sure, ok.

57 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

And every loss would be hurting their confidence.  Their psyche.  Their chemistry and bonding as a team.  There is a silver lining, even if not ideal in the big picture way.  Neither option being perfect.

Confidence is something that is built up over the course of a season. The young guys are building enough confidence right now win or lose just by playing.

And as far as team chemistry, who knows what the team will look like next season. I don't think winning the final 15 games will really impact much in the long run. The best thing for these guys is to add another young impact player they can gain chemistry with in the future.

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Exactly. They're stuck in an endless cycle. The 'rookies' from years back that the Oilers obtained from high draft picks aren't able carry the team because they don't know what it takes to win in this league. In this case, I'm talking about the playoffs, since they've never experienced it. Over here in Vancouver, it's different. We have players from the 2011 team that knows what it takes to reach the Finals, and then you're surrounding the younger players with those guys. It helps a lot learning from the veterans that have experienced it.  

I've made this point before.... hockey clubs are legacies. The knowledge, experience, and attitude is passed down from generation to generation. We haven't had a disruption in that. Smyl to Linden to Naslund to the Sedins to our next batch.

The Oilers cut that tie. They rest on the 80s Cups but they don't have that legacy anymore. They tried to instill it through management but that doesn't work if you don't have it in the room. If you DO have it in the room you can pass it on with the help of management. Instead, they now have to develop it from scratch again and it's not working.

IMHO this is a lesson when people only look at the line-up on paper and suggest we should trade the Sedins because it is #assetmanagement. The Oilers should have never traded Smyth... it wasn't worth it to the franchise... not for Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Mara, and Alex Plante. You can't buy that back in FA.... it needs to be built and passed on.

We will have the pieces and players to turn the franchise back around in time. What we don't want to do is sever our legacy. That can kill a franchise. That's why we let the Sedins stay here until they are done and our new leaders take over.

No one is saying that the Canucks prospects have more skill or potential than the high oilers picks, but if youve ever played on any sort of sports team, you'll know that losing sucks. I don't care if you're playing beer league or rep, continuous losing just puts a downer on everything.

Let the team win and lose. Whether we end up with a top 5 pick or a top 10 pick doesn't matter if the environment the touted prospect comes into is a losing one

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Confidence is something that is built up over the course of a season. The young guys are building enough confidence right now win or lose just by playing.

And as far as team chemistry, who knows what the team will look like next season. I don't think winning the final 15 games will really impact much in the long run. The best thing for these guys is to add another young impact player they can gain chemistry with in the future.

Absolutely no way they'd "build" confidence through losing.  They'd gain experience, sure...but they'd start overthinking things.  Squeezing the stick.  Not playing for the love of the game, which usually helps in a free wheeling way.  We saw it, first hand, and it can snowball.

Going to have to disagree.  But that's ok, because they're just opinions in the end.

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Willie Desjardins speaks to reporters following the Canucks big 4-2 victory over Nashville, and discusses the youth more building confidence game after game.

I notice he stops himself from sayin "real good" now. Lol.

im not just saying this because we won , I'm honestly really glad he's staying. They way the young guys have been developing has been unreal 

34 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The Canucks are fading and the Oilers are soon to be on the rise. They'd surely be ahead of Vancouver had McDavid not missed 37 games. In a couple years McDavid will be one of the top and most interesting players in the entire league. I think pretty soon we'll dread the games we have to play the oilers. The GM of the oilers has just done a really poor job building a defence and complementary players to build a team. They're not losing because of their high picks.

3 minutes ago, Canucklehead40 said:

No one is saying that the Canucks prospects have more skill or potential than the high oilers picks, but if youve ever played on any sort of sports team, you'll know that losing sucks. I don't care if you're playing beer league or rep, continuous losing just puts a downer on everything.

Let the team win and lose. Whether we end up with a top 5 pick or a top 10 pick doesn't matter if the environment the touted prospect comes into is a losing one

It also starts to affect the room..guys get cranky and can get pitted against one another.  You want them on the same page, feeling good and learning how to be successful.  Being rewarded out there when the effort is there.   Getting on a roll and gaining some trust and familiarity with one another.

There is so much difference when the morale is high .... it can be a driving force.  Or demotivating when things are in a rut.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Nice that they're putting in the effort but I would hate to suffer through a season like this for a 10th overall pick.

Every win they get right now is hurting their cause.

I kind of agree, but they can't go out there and intentionally lose. That's all kinds of wrong.

34 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The Canucks are fading and the Oilers are soon to be on the rise. They'd surely be ahead of Vancouver had McDavid not missed 37 games. In a couple years McDavid will be one of the top and most interesting players in the entire league. I think pretty soon we'll dread the games we have to play the oilers. The GM of the oilers has just done a really poor job building a defence and complementary players to build a team. They're not losing because of their high picks.

Call me when the Oilers and McDavid make the playoffs. I'll make sure not to turn my phone off or change my number for the next 10 years...

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They also have to have confidence in the organization. What does it say if we encourage them to loose? U don't ask winners to loose. That shouldn't ever be in the vocabulary. Technically it's better if we get a higher draft pick , but not by compromiseimg the core of what it means to be a winner. 

What exactly should the Canucks do to land that coveted 1st overall pick?

As long as the Sedins are here, we'll never be bad enough to be the worst team in the league. Add to that the fact that our youg guys are starting to come into their own, and there really isn't I way I can fathom the Canucks being as bad as the worst teams in the league.

So, what exactly are the draftists suggesting we do?

People who are talking about the Oilers having all the talent... and player morale not being important, consider this:

How did Sven Baertschi perform when he was with the Flames...?

Why did his play change so dramatically when he moved over to Vancouver...?

The answer is very simple... he felt better about himself... and he was motivated to play better.

More jump, more energy, more confidence... makes a world of difference.

41 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The oilers should have Been on the rise a long time ago so I'm not buying this crap. Canucks are not "fading".Next season , we will have cap space and a young core that has already proven to be way father ahead then the oilers are. If the oilers are dependant on one player to not be in last place they are in worse shape then u suggest. It's called depth and a winning culture. The oilers don't have either 

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What exactly should the Canucks do to land that coveted 1st overall pick?

As long as the Sedins are here, we'll never be bad enough to be the worst team in the league. Add to that the fact that our youg guys are starting to come into their own, and there really isn't I way I can fathom the Canucks being as bad as the worst teams in the league.

So, what exactly are the draftists suggesting we do?

Apparently follow the coveted oilers model, because it has worked out so well for them :unsure:

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

People who are talking about the Oilers having all the talent... and player morale not being important, consider this:

The answer is very simple... he felt better about himself... and he was motivated to play better.

Add to that the fact that the Oilers have had terribly inept management for as long as I can remember, and have done an absolutely terrible job building their team. Scoring high picks isn't everything. As a result of the Oilers "drafting", they've been left with a hilariously one dimensional team.

Any GM worth his weight in salt could have moved some of the assets they've gathered around to properly fill out their lineup.

I for one can't wait to see this team develop over the next few seasons. I'm so excited! I don't think we could ask for better vets to mentor the young ones and they've been showing so much promise. Despite the record, I don't think we've been as bad as people have claimed, considering the circumstances. We have barely been fully healthy all season and we have had more and more young guys make their way on the roster. 

I'd much rather have the team play their hearts out every night, working together, building chemistry and confidence to end the season on a high note. IMO, it'll make everyone that much more hungry and increase their compete level all the more in the seasons to come. The future looks bright for this team.

8 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This happens to a lot of players just a simple change in scenery. Plus Burke trashed sven way too often. 

Archived