The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT & PGT: Preds vs Nucks, Saturday, Mar.12, 2016, 7 PM PST on CBC

Qwags

53 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Willie Desjardins speaks to reporters following the Canucks big 4-2 victory over Nashville, and discusses the youth more building confidence game after game.

At 2:57... it was blurred...but was that the admission that Pedan is the next call-up? 

Did anyone catch that?

Idiots at CBC were awarding the top 5 hilights of the night... and they included Pekke Rinne's save on Horvat... but not Miller's game saving cross crease stopper late.  :rolleyes:

Wrong... Horvat shot the puck into the trapper, but Miller's stop was far more difficult and acrobatic... but that's CBC... they came into the broadcast ready to sing Nashville's praises... had all kinds of special profiles ready... and you could hear the disappointment in their voices when Vancouver won.

Just now, theminister said:

Really can't hear it at all... lol... it's the most interesting part of the interview and we can't get it.

Maybe it was Friesen?

Ya could be. Now that I think about it, unless they play pedan forward again Friesen would make more sense 

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Idiots at CBC were awarding the top 5 hilights of the night... and they included Pekke Rinne's save on Horvat... but not Miller's game saving cross crease stopper late.  :rolleyes:

Wrong... Horvat shot the puck into the trapper, but Miller's stop was far more difficult and acrobatic... but that's CBC... they came into the broadcast ready to sing Nashville's praises... had all kinds of special profiles ready... and you could hear the disappointment in their voices when Vancouver won.

Meh. Who cares. We are used to it. At least I am. I don't need them to care about the Canucks. I care enough for all of us. Lol

19 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I notice he stops himself from sayin "real good" now. Lol.

im not just saying this because we won , I'm honestly really glad he's staying. They way the young guys have been developing has been unreal 

I also am glad Willie is staying. I think he is an excellent developmental coach and we could see the results again tonight. The young guys, as a group, have made great progress with Willie as coach.

Tonight may have been the best Canuck game of the season considering that Nashville is a very good team and the Canucks are without their top defence pairing and without Sutter.  The first period was amazing as the Canucks dominated and were unlucky to only be ahead 2-0.

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Apparently follow the coveted oilers model, because it has worked out so well for them :unsure:

One counterexample does not "prove" that getting high draft picks doesn't work. Edmonton is an outlier. The teams that have been successful recently (Chicago, LA, etc.) have generally been teams that were bad for two or three years and picked up one or two franchise-type players with high picks, along with making other good decisions (cap management, asset management, etc.)

Not all high picks become franchise players and not all franchise players are high picks, but that is where the odds are best.

At this stage I am not expecting much from this year's draft. At the beginning of the season I had visions of a getting a high pick (top 5) and making getting a couple of low first round picks (for Vrby and Hammer) as well, and they we would have a high second round pick (our own) and might pick up some low picks for other vets (Prusa, Bart, Higgy, etc.) I even had visions of trading Miller for maybe a second round pick and a prospect. Well we know how that worked out.

And right now I am guessing we pick in the 7 - 12 range where we should get a decent prospect but no one who is likely to make a difference in a hurry.

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I also am glad Willie is staying. I think he is an excellent developmental coach and we could see the results again tonight. The young guys, as a group, have made great progress with Willie as coach.

Tonight may have been the best Canuck game of the season considering that Nashville is a very good team and the Canucks are without their top defence pairing and without Sutter.  The first period was amazing as the Canucks dominated and were unlucky to only be ahead 2-0.

One counterexample does not "prove" that getting high draft picks doesn't work. Edmonton is an outlier. The teams that have been successful recently (Chicago, LA, etc.) have generally been teams that were bad for two or three years and picked up one or two franchise-type players with high picks, along with making other good decisions (cap management, asset management, etc.)

Not all high picks become franchise players and not all franchise players are high picks, but that is where the odds are best.

At this stage I am not expecting much from this year's draft. At the beginning of the season I had visions of a getting a high pick (top 5) and making getting a couple of low first round picks (for Vrby and Hammer) as well, and they we would have a high second round pick (our own) and might pick up some low picks for other vets (Prusa, Bart, Higgy, etc.) I even had visions of trading Miller for maybe a second round pick and a prospect. Well we know how that worked out.

And right now I am guessing we pick in the 7 - 12 range where we should get a decent prospect but no one who is likely to make a difference in a hurry.

Yeah the draft probably won't be as blockbuster at first glance , but Jim has done very well so far with higher picks. 

IMO, the people who are more worried about a shot at a couple of draft spots in this lottery, which will only affect a few percentage points difference, are really missing the big picture. 

1) We will get a great young player regardless. There is no way we can't unless we go stupidly off the board. 

2) We have more already than you give us credit for. Most of the pieces may already be here. 

3) We may get a good pick next year too for all any of us know. 

4) Our young players may make huge strides in the next 12 months. 

5) The lottery is...a lottery. 

6) The same argument was made about 2014....but Virtanen looks important. Would you rather have Dal Colle?

7) it's what we do after the first round that will separate us from the pack over years. 

8) We need organizational momentum. Winning does that. Losing doesn't. 

9) Talent and production isn't borne. It's made. It's forged. 

10) The time to turn the ship around is always NOW. It's never later. This is what a room should think. ALWAYS. 

I thought this was going to be a close game, but I thought the Preds would win and help us along with the tank. Oh well it's nice to see the young guys playing well. I loved seeing Baertchi score in the dirty area on none other then Weber. Night and day from the beginning of the season. 

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Confidence is something that is built up over the course of a season. The young guys are building enough confidence right now win or lose just by playing.

And as far as team chemistry, who knows what the team will look like next season. I don't think winning the final 15 games will really impact much in the long run. The best thing for these guys is to add another young impact player they can gain chemistry with in the future.

Fine but if you have a team used to winning, to finding a way to win, to know what it takes to win, it is always going to do better in the long run, no matter how the team is made up. 

Everything you post is coloured by an apparent lack of respect for what we have here, what we are trying to achieve and who we have building towards that achievement.

As far as chemistry goes we DO have a fair idea of what the team will look like next season and that is why the remaining games are so important for a club like ours, a club attempting a rebuild. - because these remaining games could go a long way to cement the character of these boys and set them up confidently for next year, not some airy fairy, manyana, tank and it will be alright on the night, approach that you seem to advocate.

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Chicago was bad for 5 years, LA for 5 years and ect. Not the 2-3 years more like 5-7 years

8 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

great game, our boys are on fya...lets make it 3 in a row on monday!

Let's see more great efforts from the team, especially the young guys, but not too much more winning please.

9 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Virt really set the tone with that fight. He is proving to be as advertised : )

Better than advertised as far as I'm concerned.  He's actually a very smart player on top of the physical skills he's got.  Despite not picking up Sceviour tonight, his defensive and positional awareness are already NHL-level.  He gets in on the forecheck, is strong on the backcheck, drives play, and is an offensive threat.  You can tell that he's already got a reputation around the league for his physical play.  Did you see Josi looking on with concern in that fight?  This guy is stirring the drink for us.  There aren't many 19 yr. olds showing this kind of leadership in the NHL.  A whole lot more than meat and potatoes to this guy. 

This. Lindross light and im okay with that. 

18 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Better than advertised as far as I'm concerned.  He's actually a very smart player on top of the physical skills he's got.  Despite not picking up Sceviour tonight, his defensive and positional awareness are already NHL-level.  He gets in on the forecheck, is strong on the backcheck, drives play, and is an offensive threat.  You can tell that he's already got a reputation around the league for his physical play.  Did you see Josi looking on with concern in that fight?  This guy is stirring the drink for us.  There aren't many 19 yr. olds showing this kind of leadership in the NHL.  A whole lot more than meat and potatoes to this guy. 

He has played really well since the juniors, which is nice to see since everyone was so down on him. He's playing more important minutes and just gaining experience. He's also a physical prescenes which this team has sorely missed. Hope he keeps just playing his style of game. I'm happy Benning picked this kid. BC boy and you can tell he loves playing here. Keep developing him and let him grow and get stronger and oh my.

10 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

Good game for the kids. Had we been playing the kids instead of Prust and Higgins at the beginning of the year, we might have had a legitimate playoff chance.

Exactly...good memory!

Shortening the bench by benching the young guys at the beginning was not good...remember the many blown 3rd period leads and OT losses (due to playing the vets)... then only playing the young guns more, as the season progressed, due to injury.

Credit the young guns...they are overcoming the blunders of management.

Young guns are getting their confidence back.

The playoffs are still a reality...

Miller played well...however, play Markstrom more and the Canucks will make the playoffs.

Tyramikin and Pedan should be given a look for 7 games...they will need them for the playoffs (if they play well).

Let's look at another multi-cup winning team. The LA Kings. 

Dustin Brown: 13th overall

Kopitar:  11th overall

Quick: 3rd round

Trevor Lewis: 17th overall

Alec Martinez: 4th round

Doughty: 2nd overall 

Voynov: 2nd round

Kyle Clifford: 2nd round

Jordan Nolan: 7th round

Tyler Toffoli:  2nd round

Nick Shore: 3rd round.

The only other top 5 pick was Thomas Hickey in which they traded. If anything the teams that win cups are able to find fantastic players that suit different roles in the 2nd, and 3rd rounds. Sorry, I forgot Brayden Schenn was top 5. Bottom line in the Marc Crawford era that team was awful. They did not tank, nor get 1st overall. But have used those picks to make good hockey trades, and unlike the Oilers, they have a big, fast, physical players, and a good mix. I may not like them, but under Lombardi they have built a solid team. 

Could you imagine the panic in Vancouver if we traded a player in the top 5? And let another top 5 player lost on waivers??

Archived