The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] GM Jim Benning can't stomach Canucks losing season

DonaldBrashear

Link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gm-jim-benning-cant-stomach-canucks-losing-season/

It's hard to lose hockey games,” Benning told Sportsnet this week. “I want to be completely honest with you, it's hard to go through what we're going through with the team right now. I believe if we didn't have all these injuries that we could be competitive, but it's hard losing.

I guess the silver lining in it is that we're going to end up with a high draft pick and end up with a real good player in the draft.

We have some work to do, I'm going to get out here now and see all these top players again. I've seen them through the course of the year but I'll see them again. We'll have our scouting meetings and decide what to do, but whatever we decide to do, we're going to get a really good player.

3 minutes ago, Oliewud said:

matthews + stamkos would save the aquillinis A LOT of $$$

As much as I'm drooling at that thought, it still wouldn't fix out atrocious D core. You can have all the offense in the world, but without defence you'll still lose. Just ask the Oilers. 

12 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

So the cliff notes of the article are:

1) Benning still blames injuries for all of the Canucks problems and poor play

2) He is going to go out and "scout" and then use his scouting notes to determine what player he is going to pick

What teams wouldn't suffer with their top 2 centers injured 70% of the season?

8 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Is there seriously anything to Canucks being a dark house and/or contender for Stamkos? Or is this a case of something Eklund like someone threw out hoping it sticks?

It's likely media sensationalism, grabs peoples attention and gets them reading.

He's likely going to UFA so there's a chance but it's rather unlikely IMO. He'll get paid regardless of where he goes, so why wouldn't he go to someone who can contend? We aren't contenders right now and won't be for a number of years yet.

What we all need to realize is that without the injuries we would still have been a borderline playoff team. Even Benning has been saying that they were planning on drafting between the 14th to 16th range.

Without the injuries we would finish 10 in our conference. Out of the playoffs.  

Be in a crappy drafting position. Draft another Jordan Schroeder - Patrick White.....

NO  THANKS

I would rather be on the TANK and draft a franchise player. 

20 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm absolutely confident in Benning and his drafting skills. I strongly believe this draft is going to be another great draft for us.

Even the best scouts are less then 10%. They say 7% ur doing great. I'm confident he will do the best job possible , and I'm happy with a better pick, but I'm never confident in draft picks. I'm intrigued , not confident.  

Archived