The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Board needs to stand up and Complain to the league

*Buzzsaw*

6 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Right this is definitely the league conspiring to make sure we don't win the cup this year.............uhh

......actually, it's BS there's no conspiracy, we just suck

The team isn't relevant enough to try and conspire against

You appear to have short term memory problems. Take a look at our past before posting this dribble. 

You our are right about one thing, the Canucks are not relevant in the nhls eyes, we are just a cash cow helping Bettman et all seek higher revenues in poor performing markets ie California 

12 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I believe the members of this board need to stand up and voice their opinions directly to the NHL Disciplinary Committee.

Go for it. With their job I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

PS: post a copy of your email here. I could always use a good laugh too.

how is the burns hit not late, and blindside? I mean there is degree of lateness I guess, but both hits are clearly after the puck has left the player. The only real difference I'd say is the open ice vs. against the boards placement on ice. Is a hit that is late and blindside along the boards that much safer then the same thing (slightly later) in the open ice? 

4 hours ago, The Sedge said:

You're comparing apples to oranges a little, Virtanen's hit was a lot more late.  

What I'm asking is, when did interference calls become a suspendable offence, and why can I only recall two instances (Virt and Burr) of it ever happening, without some other factor like head contact or an injury?

The precedent was more or less set with the Aaron Rome hit on Nathan Horton. The only thing wrong with it is that is was late, but Horton was injured (in front of a huge audience) so the league felt compelled to act.

I've said it many times since 2011: Rome was scapegoated.

4 minutes ago, TOOMUCHINTERNET said:

how is the burns hit not late, and blindside? I mean there is degree of lateness I guess, but both hits are clearly after the puck has left the player. The only real difference I'd say is the open ice vs. against the boards placement on ice. Is a hit that is late and blindside along the boards that much safer then the same thing (slightly later) in the open ice? 

It is. The league is all over the place with suspensions and lengths so who the hell knows what they're really thinking. There's clear double standards though.

15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Polak quickly got up as soon as Virtanen was sent off. Looked like he was a new man. It's embarrassing how obvious it is.

The trick is to make more out of an incident than what it really is.  The play acting gets a lot of intention along with a lot of coach hype.  Send the trainer out.  Make it look like a bad scene.  Send him into the evaluation room.  Take a ten minute breather and then back on the ice.  Have an after game televised interview and pretend you are irate, that is a great ploy as well.  It all looks great for the camera and allows the league to take advantage and justify what they do.  

Foreign players are great at acting out an injury, only to come back as soon as the excitement calms down.  We have all watched a soccer game and watched the academy performances in that sport.  Wow.  I don't understand how a soccer player can exhibit such terrible pain and yet not be carried of the pitch on a stretcher.   It is simply laugheable.

Contrarily, we saw Toews take a hit from Mitchell a few years back.  Groggy and hurting, he tried desperately to get back to the bench right after the hit.  Like a man, he just didn't stay laying on the ice doing the chicken like some fake artist players do.  You have to give Toews credit in that instance for not doing the whimpy turtle.  I suppose men are men and whimps will always be whimps and phoneys.

Then there is Kelly Sutherland.  Need I say more?

1 hour ago, HarryCanuck said:

You appear to have short term memory problems. Take a look at our past before posting this dribble. 

I've been following the team's "past" since 1970 and have no memory problems, yet I can't recall anything that would lead me to believe that the league is conspiring against the Canucks. It's a silly theory and it surprises me that (supposedly) grown adults subscribe to it.

BTW: It's "drivel", not "dribble". 

Yes the league is against the Canucks. They get penalized and suspended for everything little they do. Except when they don't.

League could have easily given Hansen 10+ games for this. He got nothing. Not even a minor penalty.

He clearly put his hands and stick on an official (who had his back turned) and shoved him.

13 minutes ago, Benchsplinters said:

The trick is to make more out of an incident than what it really is.  The play acting gets a lot of intention along with a lot of coach hype.  Send the trainer out.  Make it look like a bad scene.  Send him into the evaluation room.  Take a ten minute breather and then back on the ice.  Have an after game televised interview and pretend you are irate, that is a great ploy as well.  It all looks great for the camera and allows the league to take advantage and justify what they do.  

Foreign players are great at acting out an injury, only to come back as soon as the excitement calms down.  We have all watched a soccer game and watched the academy performances in that sport.  Wow.  I don't understand how a soccer player can exhibit such terrible pain and yet not be carried of the pitch on a stretcher.   It is simply laugheable.

Contrarily, we saw Toews take a hit from Mitchell a few years back.  Groggy and hurting, he tried desperately to get back to the bench right after the hit.  Like a man, he didn't just laying on the ice doing the chicke like some fake artist players do.  You have to give Toes credit in that instance for not doing the whimps turtle.  I suppose men are men and whips will always be whimps and phoneys.

Then there is Kelly Sutherland.  Need I say more?

Please do. That was an enjoyable post to read.

Thank you.

35 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The precedent was more or less set with the Aaron Rome hit on Nathan Horton. The only thing wrong with it is that is was late, but Horton was injured (in front of a huge audience) so the league felt compelled to act.

I've said it many times since 2011: Rome was scapegoated.

To be fair Horton was seriously concussed.  I can see why they made the call (though the length of the suspension was unwarranted).  Anybody not wearing the orca suspended for a similar offence?  Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to fire up any conspiracies, I just have no recollection of a suspension being issued for interference, where no head contact or injury resulted, other than against the Canucks.  Call a major in game, game misconduct, whatever, but why is interference even ending up in the DoPS office?

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

To be fair Horton was seriously concussed.  I can see why they made the call (though the length of the suspension was unwarranted).  Anybody not wearing the orca suspended for a similar offence?  Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to fire up any conspiracies, I just have no recollection of a suspension being issued for interference, where no head contact or injury resulted, other than against the Canucks.  Call a major in game, game misconduct, whatever, but why is interference even ending up in the DoPS office?

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-perry-suspended-four-games-for-interference/c-660020

19 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

With the Virtanen suspension, the final clear proof of bias by the NHL against the Canucks is still in.

The following videos make it very clear.

The first is of Henrik Sedin being run by Brent Burns in a game on March 5th of this year.  Henrik was struck in the head by Burns in a late hit, long after the puck was gone, and suffered an injury and was out for the rest of the game and the following 2 games.

This clearly was a deliberate attempt to injure, the hit was directed at the head of the player, and it succeeded. 

There was not even a penalty on the play, even though the Referee was right next to the incident when it happened, looking directly at Burns as he punched and couldn't have missed it.

The league didn't bother to review the incident either... despite the injury.

[video]

[/video]

The next video is of Virtanen and his hit on Polak.

It is clearly a late hit... worthy of an interference penalty, but the contact is shoulder to shoulder, there is no intent to deliberately injure... and in fact, Polak was not injured.  He returned to play within a few minutes and did not miss any games.

Virtanen immediately received a 5 minute penalty and a game misconduct.  And now we have him suspended for two games.

[video]

The question has to be asked:

Why is there a double standard in the league?

Why are the Canuck's afforded no respect when their players are deliberately injured, but when one of their players commits a less serious offense, they are penalized very heavily?

Why do we as Canuck's fans have to put up with this clear bias in officiating?

I believe the members of this board need to stand up and voice their opinions directly to the NHL Disciplinary Committee.

It's time we let the corrupt institution which is the NHL know we are not prepared to accept their biased and one sided refereeing anymore.

Why are the Canuck's afforded no respect ? You have to be kidding. Does the name Burrows mean anything to you?

YES! I am on board with the OP. I will write a strongly worded letter to the NHL offices demanding accountability. It will be like that time Family Guy made fun of my home town (Bridgeport) and I wrote a strongly worded letter to them. Yes, this is actually me, I am disgusting and fat:

Archived