The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Board needs to stand up and Complain to the league

*Buzzsaw*

You're comparing apples to oranges a little, Virtanen's hit was a lot more late.  

What I'm asking is, when did interference calls become a suspendable offence, and why can I only recall two instances (Virt and Burr) of it ever happening, without some other factor like head contact or an injury?

13 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Nice troll. Stay classy Black Hawk fan, your team is still good.

And long time Canucks fan. He still traded Hunter. IMO, he was the only player somewhat close to Patrick Kane's skill who was in our system.

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Virtanen deserved the suspension. He needs to wake up. Every since the Bieber concert his head is in the clouds.

I would like to see him with McCann and Guance start in the minors next year and make them earn a callup while pushing each other as fellow first rounders.

If McCann and Virt continue the way they are going, I'd have to agree with you.  Gaunce is best there because of numbers. 

Virtanen needs mgt to sit down with him and watch footage: he is good when he plays hockey and doesn't make hitting his main priority, it's when he thinks he's Raffi Torres 2.0 that we have trouble -- just like Torres did.  I think Virtanen needs to learn some things quick or his career could be ruined.  A hit-first number 6 pick is a waste. 

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

With the Virtanen suspension, the final clear proof of bias by the NHL against the Canucks is still in.

The following videos make it very clear.

The first is of Henrik Sedin being run by Brent Burns in a game on March 5th of this year.  Henrik was struck in the head by Burns in a late hit, long after the puck was gone, and suffered an injury and was out for the rest of the game and the following 2 games.

This clearly was a deliberate attempt to injure, the hit was directed at the head of the player, and it succeeded. 

There was not even a penalty on the play, even though the Referee was right next to the incident when it happened, looking directly at Burns as he punched and couldn't have missed it.

The league didn't bother to review the incident either... despite the injury.

[video]

[/video]

The next video is of Virtanen and his hit on Polak.

It is clearly a late hit... worthy of an interference penalty, but the contact is shoulder to shoulder, there is no intent to deliberately injure... and in fact, Polak was not injured.  He returned to play within a few minutes and did not miss any games.

Virtanen immediately received a 5 minute penalty and a game misconduct.  And now we have him suspended for two games.

[video]

The question has to be asked:

Why is there a double standard in the league?

Why are the Canuck's afforded no respect when their players are deliberately injured, but when one of their players commits a less serious offense, they are penalized very heavily?

Why do we as Canuck's fans have to put up with this clear bias in officiating?

I believe the members of this board need to stand up and voice their opinions directly to the NHL Disciplinary Committee.

It's time we let the corrupt institution which is the NHL know we are not prepared to accept their biased and one sided refereeing anymore.

Ok...so will the League listen?

3 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

I still love tuzzi, If everyone didn't jump on top of burt that wouldn't have happened imo just a really bad situation,<3

Also, If Moore had been willing to stand up and answer the challenge from Bert, it would have been diffused.  More was a cheap punk who tried to injure a star player and then just walk away like nothing happened. 

Bert lost it and over-reacted but it was an accident in how the injury occurred.  

That incident and this discussion does illustrate how having the league police on-ice actions can lead to worse transgressions.  The players on the ice know when liberties are taken and expect retribution.  Often the refs or the league don't see it that way and it leads to frustration and attempts at revenge later on.  I certainly haven't seen a reduction in cheap shots or attempts to injure since the NHL has cracked down on fighting and been more aggressive with its DOPS.  I believe much of that is a belief by the players that punishment by the NHL is not being applied consistently or in many cases at all. That the NHLPA blocked the NHL from removing fighting from the pro game would seem to confirm the players would like to police their game themselves.

5 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Give your head a shake. It was a dirty hit.

It was. It reminds me of the Mike Peca hit on Selanne from 20 years ago. Horrendous? No, but definitely late. It's the kind of hit that could literally happen hundreds of times a game, but guys don't do it because the players' internal clock, and good sense, tells them not to. Jake wasn't listening to his internal clock. But 2 games is excessive to me...I would understand 1 to get the message across. That's all that was required, at most.

Archived