The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks are not getting Auston Matthews or the Fins!

48 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Yes the Canucks by recently winning are hurting their "chances" of Austin Mathews. However, I am glad they have started the three team lottery draw process this year.

Who knows, we may get a surprise or two with maybe even Detroit landing one of the top three picks.  If you decided to draw all fourteen non playoff draft positions, how much would it really resemble the exact order of finish regardless who has a higher percentage. Maybe in the future, they should draw the top 5-6 - the worst teams still get the best odds but by drawing more, probably have a bit more random result, especially for the teams with close percentages.  This would be good for teams to at least keep trying since we customers are still paying full price to watch their product.

Btw, I think the Canucks will win three of the remaining four games to close out the year.

more like it hurt their chances of getting matthew one of the 2 fins tkachuk, chychrun unless they move up they ain't getting any of them.. win another 2-3 move down some more.. one of the worse season in history and absolutely nothing to show for it

There are plenty of good defensemen that drop to 4-8.

Look at OEL, Karlsson, Seabrook, Fowler, Hamilton, Reilly, Lindholm, Trouba, Jones, Risto, Nurse ect......

Just because we don't get a top 3 pick doesn't mean we aren't going to have a shot at having a top pairing defensemen.

2 minutes ago, WTG said:

There are plenty of good defensemen that drop to 4-8.

Look at OEL, Karlsson, Seabrook, Fowler, Hamilton, Reilly, Lindholm, Trouba, Jones, Risto, Nurse ect......

Just because we don't get a top 3 pick doesn't mean we aren't going to have a shot at having a top pairing defensemen.

ya but finding a good top line player is rare and usually don't exist.. and we have 0 in this organization.. Boeser maybe dominating now in the NCAA but it is NCAA.. we see players dominate the junior and AHL but don't translate into NHL success.. u can never have too many franchise cailber talent for forwards.. at least in this organization anyways as we ain't like others able to find gems in the later round

the lottery is now our friend rather than the enemy it would have been had we ended up last.  in last place the lottery only offers up the gilbert perault effect of potentially being stripped of the 1st pick or dropping to 4th pick.  if we end up 4th, the lottery still gives us the opportunity to move to top 3.  in summary, the lottery takes some of the sting out of these idiots playing hard to win these meaningless/ful games    

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya but finding a good top line player is rare and usually don't exist.. and we have 0 in this organization.. Boeser maybe dominating now in the NCAA but it is NCAA.. we see players dominate the junior and AHL but don't translate into NHL success.. u can never have too many franchise cailber talent for forwards.. at least in this organization anyways as we ain't like others able to find gems in the later round

I'm not arguing against the need of having top line players.

Just saying that picking a defensemen that take a little longer to cook with the 4-12 picks isn't the end of the world. There is still a good chance that you have a top pairing defensemen.

Also, we have found gems in the later rounds, Tryamkin + Hutton + some other prospects that are looking good. Like Olson.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

more like it hurt their chances of getting matthew one of the 2 fins tkachuk, chychrun unless they move up they ain't getting any of them.. win another 2-3 move down some more.. one of the worse season in history and absolutely nothing to show for it

That's just plain wrong. With the lottery you don't have to finish in the bottom 5 to get a top 5 pick and actually there's very little difference between 24th and 25th odds wise, as has been explained ad nauseam on here.

11 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

With Tanev returning we are not going to keep losing at the rate we were. The team can actaully play a average game now.

they played decent yesterday, and I have no reason to believe they will stop anytime soon. The Sedins and Hansen are committed to not finish in the bottom.

this is reality im sorry I had to make this thread.

That's not true either, you could have just had a lie down in a dark room, but I guess that wouldn't be as entertaining for the rest of us.

Rough night for the future of the franchise. We will probably end up winning the last three games of the season too.

Could easily see us slotting in around 9th and slipping from the lottery a couple places too.

That could set us up for an off the board Weisbrod special. Exciting times.

Ha I agree about the Canucks not getting Matthews. With the luck the Canucks have, not a chance in hell. Just forget it. Dont even entertain the thought. I have absolute zero hope of it happening. Technically they should have a 20% chance of it, but with the Canucks its a different story. The curse of the Canucks will surely cancel it out. 

I just hope we can get a pick in the top 5. We're at 25 in the standings as of now. Let's not jeopardize this rare opportunity that would do wonders for the team, by starting to play better. Now is not the time. We desperately need some elite level top 5 prospects in the system for the rebuild. Nice win today against the Ducks, I always love a win against that team, because they piss me off more than any other team in the NHL, but let's please resume our previous trajectory and get back to the tank. 

Yes, this thread is needed. This thread is for those fans who are holding a belief that the Canucks' will win the draft lottery. Not a freaking chance! sorry guys I don't want you to be heart broken, this is the Canucks' we are talking about. Time to go back to reality.

Reasons why Canucks' will not win the draft lottery.

a) With Tanev in the line up he gives this team mediocrity

B,  Sedins' are great regular season players and they will make sure this team doesn't end up in the bottom.

c) Old man Miller has the capability of standing on his head and winning games on his own

I made this thread because i know lots of fans are holding hope on a 1st rounder,and I don't want them to be heart broken. Not happening this team will go .500 before the end of the season. I am so confident the Canucks' will not win 1st overall, that I will say if somehow they do, I will leave this forum until February of 2017. 

editing this thread, it might be my emotions or whatever, I'm positive this team doesn't land a top 3, why because the way they are playing at the moment, is actaully the right way, So yep, if they do somehow draft them I will stick to my word. 

Without reading further in this thread:

1.) The Canucks currently have a 7.5% chance of drafting first. This has gone down from 11.5% which was the chance they had prior to the wins over SJ and the Ducks. Yes, it's a reduced chance, but it is still a chance.

They still have an opportunity to "improve" their place by losing twice to Edmonton (it could happen!), once to Calgary. and finally to the Kings. This would place the Canucks with at least a 9.5% chance.

Then Winnipeg has got to win at least one of their remaining games, while Toronto and Columbus must win at least twice and/or get at least four points, depending on their ROW compared to the Canucks. This would give the Canucks a 20% chance of getting first overall... which they could still lose out on because it would only be a 1 in 5 chance.

2.) Even if the Canucks draft down around 6th to 8th they will still get a pretty good player.

3.) Not sure how Tanev gives the team "mediocrity". I suspect you meant to use a different word here.

regards,  G.

17 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I made this thread because i know lots of fans are holding hope on a 1st rounder,and I don't want them to be heart broken. Not happening this team will go .500 before the end of the season. I am so confident the Canucks' will not win 1st overall, that I will say if somehow they do, I will leave this forum until February of 2017. 

No, that's too long. Give us something we can work with.

Yes, this thread is needed. This thread is for those fans who are holding a belief that the Canucks' will win the draft lottery. Not a freaking chance! sorry guys I don't want you to be heart broken, this is the Canucks' we are talking about. Time to go back to reality.

B,  Sedins' are great regular season players and they will make sure this team doesn't end up in the bottom.

c) Old man Miller has the capability of standing on his head and winning games on his own

editing this thread, it might be my emotions or whatever, I'm positive this team doesn't land a top 3, why because the way they are playing at the moment, is actaully the right way, So yep, if they do somehow draft them I will stick to my word. 

reason why the canucks won't get mathews is cause the bone heads are winning at the wrong time! they should of lost to the sharks and ducks and now next week games against the oilers and flames will kill our chances completely. even in winning at the bottom they lose...

Gosh....I posted that Hamhuis wasn't getting traded right before the deadline and every weak n sensitive  baby on here imploded.  Got me a 3 day ban. 

11 hours ago, coryberg said:

Actually even if we won every single game for the rest of the season we would still have a chance. You are wrong as usual.

pretty much keeping Hamhuis was the biggest issue. Should have traded him for a 2nd and a average prospect, it would have solidified a real tank. Benning will be gone, in 2 years not the guy to run this show.

keeping hamhuis is pointless, and plus they haven't even resigned him

The problem with winning and moving up the standings isn't that our odds of picking in the top 3 is dropping (cuz the difference is maybe only 3 or 4%).  We're not likely to win the lottery anyways.

The big problem here is that the odds of falling down a few draft spots is actually considerably high.  So if we start with the 6th, we are highly likely to fall to 8th or 9th.  Finishing in the bottom 2 or 3 in the standings guarantees at worst a top 5 or 6 pick.  This is significant.

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The problem with winning and moving up the standings isn't that our odds of picking in the top 3 is dropping (cuz the difference is maybe only 3 or 4%).  We're not likely to win the lottery anyways.

The big problem here is that the odds of falling down a few draft spots is actually considerably high.  So if we start with the 6th, we are highly likely to fall to 8th or 9th.  Finishing in the bottom 2 or 3 in the standings guarantees at worst a top 5 or 6 pick.  This is significant.

Us falling to 8th or 9th would only happen if teams above us got into the top 3 which is HIGHLY unlikely

Archived