The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

8 minutes ago, WTG said:

Wouldn't bet on it.

Just from viewing Troys play on UND this season, I'd have no problem saying Stech is more dynamic and evasive in the offensive zone than Hutt's.

However Hutton is probably more well rounded obviously playing a full NHL season and learning first hand from the pro's.

Stech has a different potential than Hutt's IMO. More pp/attack orientated.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

How about Subban, is he better than him

I'd say yes.

He's a more refined player then Subban. Stecher is bigger then Subban and a better defensive player. However, not as dynamic as Subban offensively.

2 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Brandon is a forward though^_^

But if Brandon T had signed with the Canucks, he'd have been beaten out for a forward position by Pedan so he'd be tried on D.  :)

5 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Just from viewing Troys play on UND this season, I'd have no problem saying Stech is more dynamic and evasive in the offensive zone than Hutt's.

However Hutton is probably more well rounded obviously playing a full NHL season and learning first hand from the pro's.

Stech has a different potential than Hutt's IMO. More pp/attack orientated.

Agreed, he looks electric in the offensive zone.

22 minutes ago, Wrecken said:

“My dad used to have season tickets to the Canucks with his old company,” Stecher said in a phone interview Monday. “When I was a little kid I dreamed about playing for the Canucks.”

We need more of this!

Someone on here went to school with him and said he was blowing smoke. Big avs fan apparently. Still happy to have him. 

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Someone on here went to school with him and said he was blowing smoke. Big avs fan apparently. Still happy to have him. 

Just because he's an Avs fan doesn't mean he didn't dream of playing for his hometown team...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Just because he's an Avs fan doesn't mean he didn't dream of playing for his hometown team...

k sure. Sometimes i find you just like to argue about stuff.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, LolClarkson said:

Thought this was mainly Utica fodder

Should be, but look at our depth on the right side in the future in terms of true RHD:

NOW: Tanev > Weber > Biega > Fedun > Subban

FUTURE: Tanev (for how long?) > Stecher > Subban (will he be NHL-size and tough enough?) > Fedun

We have a lot of big holes at the right side, and because of that Stecher jumps pretty fast up the "depth" chart.

We need a stud top pairing RHD and have needed one since Ehrhoff left.

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Your statement is begging to be argued with. Some guy on here says he's a big Avs fan? So what? Maybe he wants to make his father proud and have a chance to play at home someday.

Image result for troy stecher canucks

Is that Stecher in your pic? That's really cool.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am sure that the "plan" is for Stecher to start in Utica, just as that was the plan with Hutton. That is pretty much always the plan for Ds coming out of college. But if a guy is so good in Camp that he just can't be sent down, as with Hutton, then he has a chance to stick. But that is unlikely to happen two years in a row.

Therefore, I doubt if signing Stecher has a big impact on what happens next year. But I agree that the blueline is getting crowded, especially now that the Canucks are apparently looking seriously at trying to keep Hammer, which I think they should do. Edler, Tanev and Hutton will all be on the team of course. Unless something very strange happens Tryamkin will also start with the team and Benning seems to think Sbisa is a keeper. (And, in fairness, Sbisa is a sold 3rd pairing guy who adds toughness to the team.)

The Canucks apparently plan to give Larsen a shot with the big team and if Hammer is re-signed that takes us to 7 Ds. The Canucks plan to carry 8 guys but Pedan is waiver eligible and I don't think they want to expose him to waivers as he would get taken.

I agree that means that Biega probably gets waived to Utica at the beginning of the season. I am pretty sure he will clear waivers and Benning has emphasized the need to have an extra D or two who can step in if needed.

The other possibility is a trade. Pedan could probably be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or for another prospect --  maybe one who is still waiver exempt. Personally I would rather keep Pedan and trade Sbisa as I think Pedan has a higher ceiling and is bigger, stronger and tougher, and is a better skater. Pedan is younger and has some rough edges, but he looks like a guy who could be valuable long term.

Jimmy,

I agree that Pedan might have a higher ceiling than Biega but he has had no where near the exposure to really judge. I do not think Biega would clear waivers.

You think Hamhuis should be resigned. I don't agree as I see a real fight for TOI next year. The d-vets being Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Sbisa. That leaves a spot for Tryamkin, Pedan and Biega as a depth guy. Hamhuis resigned as a 3rd pairing does not make sense. On a rebuilding team it does not make sense. When I say this it is about term and money for Hamhuis who I suspect would want a contract that leds to his retirement. ie 3 -4 years.   

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Jimmy,

I agree that Pedan might have a higher ceiling than Biega but he has had no where near the exposure to really judge. I do not think Biega would clear waivers.

You think Hamhuis should be resigned. I don't agree as I see a real fight for TOI next year. The d-vets being Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Sbisa. That leaves a spot for Tryamkin, Pedan and Biega as a depth guy. Hamhuis resigned as a 3rd pairing does not make sense. On a rebuilding team it does not make sense. When I say this it is about term and money for Hamhuis who I suspect would want a contract that leds to his retirement. ie 3 -4 years.   

I would rather see Hammer here at a discount, and Pedan sent down and used for injuries/depth.