The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade value of top 3 picks.

Freeridebc

Someone direct me if I haven't come across something like this yet. 

Benning stated today, it'd take a 'hell of an offer' to trade out of the top 3. 

I'm curious with our recent signing of Demko, and the huge season Boeser has had, if we land third over all. What sort of deal would be reasonable/ do you think a team would make for one of the Finns. 

Cheers. 

Just now, Freeridebc said:

Someone direct me if I haven't come across something like this yet. 

Benning stated today, it'd take a 'hell of an offer' to trade out of the top 3. 

I'm curious with our recent signing of Demko, and the huge season Boeser has had, if we land third over all. What sort of deal would be reasonable/ do you think a team would make for one of the Finns. 

Cheers. 

If we get first overall: OEL, Arizona first 2016, Domi. 

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning is willing to trade our pick, does that not scare anyone? 

hell of a trade? Wonder what his assessment would be. 

Well, Alf thinks we can say bye-bye to a second and a fifth too.  JB seems to like giving those away in trades. 

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Stop over thinking things and stirring up controversy. He pretty much just said that unless the offer is substantial, we're keeping our possible top 3 pick. In short, we're not budging. 

Just now, HC20.0 said:

Stop over thinking things and stirring up controversy. He pretty much just said that unless the offer is substantial, we're keeping our possible top 3 pick. In short, we're not budging. 

how am i stirring up anything, im just saying it scares me that Benning is willing to trade our pick. Benning overall scares me., with his mind set. I told you guys this before.

Why are you worried about Benning making a stupid trade? Didn't he prove with Hamhuis at the deadline that he's not giving anything away for less than fair value? If Benning says "a hell of an offer" then you can be sure it would be an offer that anyone in the NHL would make. Like OEL, Domi and Arizona's first for first overall. Don't tell me you wouldn't take that in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

Why are you worried about Benning making a stupid trade? Didn't he prove with Hamhuis at the deadline that he's not giving anything away for less than fair value? If Benning says "a hell of an offer" then you can be sure it would be an offer that anyone in the NHL would make. Like OEL, Domi and Arizona's first for first overall. Don't tell me you wouldn't take that in a heartbeat.

you make a good point, but that Shinkurak trade I just can't forgive. anywho lets see what he does. Draft will be interesting

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you make a good point, but that Shinkurak trade I just can't forgive. anywho lets see what he does. Draft will be interesting

Shinkurak hasnt proved anything yet, still don't know why people are so butthurt about it. Grandlund can be a very servicable 3rd or 4th line C

Good god Desi, can you not make everything about your Benning hate? Would you rather he said "Even if they offer McDavid, OEL and the 4th, 5th and 6th OA, we will absolutely never trade our top three pick"? Could you at least wait until he makes a decision you hate to rag on him?

45 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

No, it really doesn't.

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we get first overall: OEL, Arizona first 2016, Domi. 

Arizona already stated they aren't looking to trade up for the 1st overall with price-tags like that being thrown around. They weren't interested in losing OEL.

Quite frankly I don't think anyone is going to be trading into the top 3 unless they're already close to a top 3 pick (top 6 ish). And even then they're going to have to overpay a lot to make the leap.

51 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

A lot of people couldn't forgive the CoHo trade.

Years later both Cody and Zack are pointless. I have very little doubt that Hunter won't be regarded the same way in a few years.

49 minutes ago, Hookman said:

Shinkurak hasnt proved anything yet, still don't know why people are so butthurt about it. Grandlund can be a very servicable 3rd or 4th line C

Just what the Canucks need in their system!

41 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

On the surface, if I'm being 100% honest, it does give me pause.

And because I'm not sure Benning's idea of "one heck of an offer" quite aligns with my own, I'd really rather keep our pick than see what Benning could swing in a potential trade.

That said, I'd really only be worried if Benning was truly motivated to move our pick, which he isn't (from everything I can gather).

But in cases where Benning has really wanted to make a move, whether acquiring a targeted player or moving an asset he doesn't rate highly, I do think he tends to forego maximizing value in exchange for expediency (IMO he sits clearly on the "decisive" end of the decisive-patient spectrum of GMs) and sometimes when he enters into a negotiation, he seems to overvalue just simply "getting it done" instad of getting the best deal (although he's changing in this respect--as seen by his recent stand at the TDL).

It's really one of the biggest differences I see between JB and Gillis. Both approaches have their pros and cons and I won't say that one is superior to the other. Benning's decisiveness has, for the most part, been refreshing (although admittedly it has also had some more infuriating moments). There are times when I would have preferred he attempted the "long play" (although MG's handling of the goalie situation also showed us the dangers of this approach).

But I didn't mean to get into a JB/MG comparison. So I'll get back to the simple question of whether or not I'm worried about JB potentially trading our first.

Thankfully, selling off our first round pick just isn't something JB appears motivated to do, so I really do trust that somebody would need to "give him an offer he can't refuse" before he'd even consider it.

Those kinds of offers just don't seem to happen much anymore in today's NHL. So I really doubt any GM steps up with the kind of offer that would even make JB feel tempted to trade our pick.

TL;DR: No, it doesn't scare me. ;)

Archived