The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade value of top 3 picks.

Freeridebc

23 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Arizona already stated they aren't looking to trade up for the 1st overall with price-tags like that being thrown around. They weren't interested in losing OEL.

Quite frankly I don't think anyone is going to be trading into the top 3 unless they're already close to a top 3 pick (top 6 ish). And even then they're going to have to overpay a lot to make the leap.

I heard their management make the same statement.?  JB said today it would take a huge overpayment.    You don't think these public statements aren't posturing Alf knows they are, ans Alf is from outer space! :lol:

43 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Arizona already stated they aren't looking to trade up for the 1st overall with price-tags like that being thrown around. They weren't interested in losing OEL.

Quite frankly I don't think anyone is going to be trading into the top 3 unless they're already close to a top 3 pick (top 6 ish). And even then they're going to have to overpay a lot to make the leap.

The GM was fired shortly after saying that, not saying they are connected but you never know

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

If we end up with first overall, I'd like to see if we could trade down to try to get both Finns (obviously adding).

We haven't drafted this high since the Sedins, why not double down all over again!?

the two already have proven chemistry from the WJCs, but there would have to be a hell of a lot of flipping going on to make that work. Don't think Jimbo wheels and deals quite like that. He's no Brian Burke.

2 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

Someone direct me if I haven't come across something like this yet. 

Benning stated today, it'd take a 'hell of an offer' to trade out of the top 3. 

I'm curious with our recent signing of Demko, and the huge season Boeser has had, if we land third over all. What sort of deal would be reasonable/ do you think a team would make for one of the Finns. 

Cheers. 

Well based on the first 2 responses this thread should at the very least be entertaining to follow.

2 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning is willing to trade our pick, does that not scare anyone? 

hell of a trade? Wonder what his assessment would be. 

I highly doubt he trades it, especially if it is first overall, It is probably to put it out there to see what offers come in.

2 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you make a good point, but that Shinkurak trade I just can't forgive.

Why not? Benning's strengths are in scouting and projecting who will make it in the NHL.

In the 2014 draft he selected 3 players who are already on the NHL roster and contributing. He also drafted Demko who is signed and ready to roll. Not bad for a draft not even 2 years ago. 

Since you're such a great judge of talent where did you have Tryamkin ranked?

Last year he snagged Boeser 23rd overall. That looks like highway robbery.

Benning and Travis Green see something in Shinkaruk they're not impressed with.

After what Benning's done here in the area of scouting and assessing young talent you have the nerve to pretend you know more than him. That's funny.

Tell us again what team do you scout for?

3 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning is willing to trade our pick, does that not scare anyone? 

hell of a trade? Wonder what his assessment would be. 

I thought once Demko was signed you would take a bit of a break.  Guess not. 

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Why not? Benning's strengths are in scouting and projecting who will make it in the NHL.

In the 2014 draft he selected 3 players who are already on the NHL roster and contributing. He also drafted Demko who is signed and ready to roll. Not bad for a draft not even 2 years ago. 

Since you're such a great judge of talent where did you have Tryamkin ranked?

Last year he snagged Boeser 23rd overall. That looks like highway robbery.

Benning and Travis Green see something in Shinkaruk they're not impressed with.

After what Benning's done here in the area of scouting and assessing young talent you have the nerve to pretend you know more than him. That's funny.

Tell us again what team do you scout for?

Well said. I still cannot believe that  3 of the 2014 draftees are already playing at the NHL and that was his first draft! Sure, Virtanen was 6th overall pick so he is supposed to be in the NHL and McCann was touted to go in the first round but Tryamkin? And who knew that Demko was this good? That's potentially 4 out of 7 and all 4 players have the potential to be either a top 6 forward, top 4 d, or a starting goalie. Heck, even Forsling could make NHL someday as a PP QB. 

I think at this point, it's clear that JB is a good talent evaluator. Before trading Shinkaruk, he probably assessed his ceiling and probability of reaching that ceiling. I think at the end of the day, Shinkaruk was a high risk high reward prospect and JB went for low variance (Granlund). If Shinkaruk works his a$$ off and makes it as a top 6 forward, good on him.

1 hour ago, khay said:

And who knew that Demko was this good?

Everyone. He was the #1 ranked goalie on every draft ranking.

At first I thought the sharks were surely going to take him at #27. they went with goldobin

I fully expected the islanders to take him at #28 when they traded two 2nds (35 and 57) for tampa's 1st. They took ho sang

Thought for sure buffalo would take him at #31 but they took brendan lemieux

When Calgary took Macdonald (apparently hey thought he would be NHL ready faster) at #34 I was stoked cause I knew tampa wouldn't take a goalie.

Never thought he would get past any of those 4 teams. Was the perfect storm.

Archived