The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade value of top 3 picks.

Freeridebc

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Everyone. He was the #1 ranked goalie on every draft ranking.

At first I thought the sharks were surely going to take him at #27. they went with goldobin

I fully expected the islanders to take him at #28 when they traded two 2nds (35 and 57) for tampa's 1st. They took ho sang

Thought for sure buffalo would take him at #31 but they took brendan lemieux

When Calgary took Macdonald (apparently hey thought he would be NHL ready faster) at #34 I was stoked cause I knew tampa wouldn't take a goalie.

Never thought he would get past any of those 4 teams. Was the perfect storm.

I guess you did your homework. The fact that he was ranked #1 among goalies could just have meant that there weren't any good goalies in that draft. I didn't know he was this good. The fact that he was around until the 2nd round... I thought he was more of a high risk high reward type of a guy. Of course, he still has a lot of work left but considering how Schneider (I think also from Boston College) turned out and how some consider Demko as the best goalie to come out of Boston College... I didn't expect him to be this good.

23 minutes ago, khay said:

I guess you did your homework. The fact that he was ranked #1 among goalies could just have meant that there weren't any good goalies in that draft. I didn't know he was this good. The fact that he was around until the 2nd round... I thought he was more of a high risk high reward type of a guy. Of course, he still has a lot of work left but considering how Schneider (I think also from Boston College) turned out and how some consider Demko as the best goalie to come out of Boston College... I didn't expect him to be this good.

The days of goalies going high in the 1st are over. The average pick of the first goalie taken in the draft for the past 5 years is 31 (2015-#22, 2014-#34, 2013-#36, 2012-#24, 2011-#38). The 2014 draft class has actually quite a few very good goalies but demko was the cream of the crop.

As for me doing my homework that was the year that we had the meltdown with torts at the helm. Had nothing better to do :P We had pick #6 and #36 so I researched a whole lot of the top 60. Much like I've been doing this season seeing as we will have #1 ;) and #33 picks.

7 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

how am i stirring up anything, im just saying it scares me that Benning is willing to trade our pick. Benning overall scares me., with his mind set. I told you guys this before.

You kind scares me.

Here is an interesting  scenario (not likely). If we won #1 and phoenix won #2 would they give us domi and #2 for Matthews?

I would do that deal in a heartbeat. We have great center depth and add 2 explosive goal scorers (#2 is lainne). Phoenix would love to add Austin to their roster, the local boy could very well save the franchise.

He absolutely should be willing to move out pick. If he passed up an offer like the Eagles made for #2 pick in the NFL draft, that would be criminal.

I see a motivation for Phoenix to trade for 1 overall, so hypothetically, I'd do:

To VAN: 7th overall, 22nd overall (NYR), 37th Overall, Strome, OEL and Merkley

To ARI: 1st overall, Anton Cedeholm

They'd never play ball on that one, but everything has its price.

5 hours ago, Z Hockey said:

The only guy I really want is Laine, so I'd be fine with trading a top 3 pick. We could get tantalizing assets back to help now and

assist the youth movement.

Puljujärvi's still going to be a franchise player. Not quite as good as Laine, but will still be a cornerstone for 10-15 years. 

2 hours ago, EagleShield said:

He absolutely should be willing to move out pick. If he passed up an offer like the Eagles made for #2 pick in the NFL draft, that would be criminal.

I see a motivation for Phoenix to trade for 1 overall, so hypothetically, I'd do:

To VAN: 7th overall, 22nd overall (NYR), 37th Overall, Strome, OEL and Merkley

To ARI: 1st overall, Anton Cedeholm

They'd never play ball on that one, but everything has its price.

loll this isn't NHL 16. NFL drafts picks are nowhere comparable to NHL draft picks. You're drafting men not kids in the NFL, you can build yourself a Superbowl team through ONE draft in the NFL.

The first time in a decade and we have a shot at game changing player and people want to trade it. Benning will not trade a top 3 pick each one of them has something this team is desperate for. Other GM's are not going to give up their top players like OEL+ thats a pipe dream.

Just now, ice orca said:

No but Chevy would, that pending RFA should scare you.

We have the cap space and Trouba fits in with our age gap. He's not going to break the bank -- he doesn't have the numbers to back a huge contract, so we'd either be looking at something similar to what Rielly signed with the Leafs or a bridge deal of some sort:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Trouba

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Pedan - Larsen

12 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

We have the cap space and Trouba fits in with our age gap. He's not going to break the bank -- he doesn't have the numbers to back a huge contract, so we'd either be looking at something similar to what Rielly signed with the Leafs or a bridge deal of some sort:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Trouba

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Pedan - Larsen

We also need size and skill in our forward group, Matthews and either of the Finns are what we need as well. The D needs work no doubt but we need a 1c as well in a guy like Matthews and desperately need another big scoring winger to go along with Boeser, we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. Who knows what will happen, i guess it depends on the lottery and where we pick but i have my doubts Benning will not trade if we get a top 3 or even 4 pick. I imagine he will get lots of offers tho.

Trade value of top 3 picks

Interestingly enough if you look at the NHL's history for trading top 3 picks, most trades had less value than what Canuck.comers think they do.  i.e Kessel for 2nd overall.  Click the link below to see the NHL's trade history for yourselves.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/

There is no way a team like Phoenix would trade 2 proven assets to move up 14 spots in the draft

I would trade a top 3 pick for Aaron Ekblad,   I bet Florida wouldn't even do that.  

It would likely cost Horvatt + to get a top 3 pick.

That's the kind of Value a top 3 picks worth.  Of course there is some variance, 1 is worth more than 3.

41 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Trouba

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Pedan - Larsen

That looks like a pretty nice young group of Dmen, and I would probably consider Trouba, 2016-6st OA + 2016 26 OA for our 3-OA, not for the #1 or #2 though.

But if this expansion happens, and I suspect it will......I am not sure how you protect what you have built?

This is my concern

I would also try to move Tanev for Hamonic, and I feel it would probably be a dal that NYI would take because of age and ability being so close.......contracts are both very cap friendly, considering Hamonic's request for a trade, I think this is the best they get!

56 minutes ago, ice orca said:

We also need size and skill in our forward group, Matthews and either of the Finns are what we need as well. The D needs work no doubt but we need a 1c as well in a guy like Matthews and desperately need another big scoring winger to go along with Boeser, we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. Who knows what will happen, i guess it depends on the lottery and where we pick but i have my doubts Benning will not trade if we get a top 3 or even 4 pick. I imagine he will get lots of offers tho.

I would only do that deal if we were picking 3rd. No way I pass up on Matthews or Laine. 

Our need for a top paring defenseman is equal to or greater than our need for another top 6 winger. Picking at #6, there is still the chance (however remote) that we can grab either Dubios or Tkachuk. Or perhaps we go after Jost who is having a terrific U18 Tournament this week.

36 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

That looks like a pretty nice young group of Dmen, and I would probably consider Trouba, 2016-6st OA + 2016 26 OA for our 3-OA, not for the #1 or #2 though.

But if this expansion happens, and I suspect it will......I am not sure how you protect what you have built?

This is my concern

I would also try to move Tanev for Hamonic, and I feel it would probably be a dal that NYI would take because of age and ability being so close.......contracts are both very cap friendly, considering Hamonic's request for a trade, I think this is the best they get!

I think that's a bridge you cross once you get to it. Depending when the expansion occurs, Edler or Tanev could have deteriorated (due to age or injuries) to not warrant protection or maybe Hutton or Tryamkin don't become more than bottom pairing guys.

If everyone is worthy of protection, then we're in a good place as a team, since that means everyone has reached or exceeded expectations.

Archived