The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade value of top 3 picks.

Freeridebc

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If we end up with first overall, I'd like to see if we could trade down to try to get both Finns (obviously adding).

Would be interesting but I don't think we have the prospects or extra picks to sell that one. If Benning could pull that off without destroying our prospect pool then he would be a hero!

6 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Would be interesting but I don't think we have the prospects or extra picks to sell that one. If Benning could pull that off without destroying our prospect pool then he would be a hero!

First overall, Edler, McCann, Hansen, second.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

First overall, Edler, McCann, Hansen, second.

Even if Edler was willing to waive bye bye I am not sure those 3 guys and the second rounder (at least I think you mean our second round pick) would get it done. I suppose if you trade the 1st OA for the 2nd OA or 3rd OA you're probably going to get a bit extra picks/prospects as well so I guess we would have that to throw in as well. If we get 1st OA why not keep it and try to get 2nd OA or 3rd OA? That would be a nice problem to have!

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I do think he tends to forego maximizing value in exchange for expediency (IMO he sits clearly on the "decisive" end of the decisive-patient spectrum of GMs) 

I wish he just kicked the tires and talked about how we were close.  That would be far preferable to giving away the odd 5th rounder.  You know, you want a totally passive GM who only moves on a steal.  That way we could still have the same stale roster, and our late-round picks.

15 hours ago, Hookman said:

Shinkurak hasnt proved anything yet, still don't know why people are so butthurt about it. Grandlund can be a very servicable 3rd or 4th line C

I really don't think there's a great basis for making assumptions about the ceiling of a 22 yr old.  I get that there is a media consensus that "what you see is what you get", but there thousands of examples over the years that show why that's a ludicrous view.

14 hours ago, Caboose said:

Just what the Canucks need in their system!

Oh, of course.  Teams don't need 3rd and 4th liners.  Obviously, teams should be composed of all-stars.  Stupid Benning has a personal hate-on for skill though, right?  Cause he didn't play in the NHL.

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Why not? Benning's strengths are in scouting and projecting who will make it in the NHL.

In the 2014 draft he selected 3 players who are already on the NHL roster and contributing. He also drafted Demko who is signed and ready to roll. Not bad for a draft not even 2 years ago. 

Since you're such a great judge of talent where did you have Tryamkin ranked?

Last year he snagged Boeser 23rd overall. That looks like highway robbery.

Benning and Travis Green see something in Shinkaruk they're not impressed with.

After what Benning's done here in the area of scouting and assessing young talent you have the nerve to pretend you know more than him. That's funny.

Tell us again what team do you scout for?

Yeah, it's really hard to understand why we haven't heard from all keyboard warriors lately about how bad of a pick Boeser is.

Doesn't make any sense to trade outside the Top 3 for us, it's worth more to us than what it is actually worth. We need this pick arguably more than in the league. Gaurenteed Benning won't shop it at all, listen to calls yes but unless it's something like Strome + Arizona's two firsts it won't happen

Even if Benning wanted to pull something off like was done with Sedins back in the day, it would require the planets and stars to align just perfectly.

Firstly, obviously, we'd need to get 1st overall.  Only an 11.5% chance of that.

Second, it would require the team where we ship 1st overall to have a need for a star center.  Teams like the Oilers, Buffalo, would instantly be out as trading partners.

Third, we don't have massive talent to add to trades, so it would require a really good return from the team we trade down to in order to then trade up to the 3rd overall. 

Fourth, it would require that team that provides us the 3rd overall to be in a rebuilding stage where they need prospects and draft picks as opposed to established star players.

Fifth, for the talent we do have, it would require getting rid of a player or two we really don't want to.  Basically kiss McCann goodbye.  (Which I could live with)

Sixth, while it would be amazing to get both the Finns, I imagine they would begin on the 2nd line and move to the first the following year.  Therefore, we're going to need a star center for them to play with.  If we were able to get say, Stamkos, then we're golden.  Otherwise, we'd have to hope to heck that Horvat becomes that star center or we're really not doing that line justice. 

So I would absolutely love love love 1-6 to occur.  But does anyone think there is a realistic chance of that?  HIGHLY unlikely.

JB isn't going to trade it. Clearly the person heard the one snippit of the interview. Yes he said it would take one hell of an offer. But he had very high praise for those in the top 6 and taking the best player. People seriously need to chill out. 

19 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

JB isn't going to trade it. Clearly the person heard the one snippit of the interview. Yes he said it would take one hell of an offer. But he had very high praise for those in the top 6 and taking the best player. People seriously need to chill out. 

Clearly he isn't going to trade it unless something ridiculous comes onto the table. Just threw it out there, quite a few teams might suffer first round losses again, and be desperate to get into the top 3. 

I'm simply basing this off of the idea perhaps Cogguila (spelling) considers signing with us, with the adding of Stecher and the development of our youth, it's just something to ponder. 

15 hours ago, Fateless said:

Arizona already stated they aren't looking to trade up for the 1st overall with price-tags like that being thrown around. They weren't interested in losing OEL.

Quite frankly I don't think anyone is going to be trading into the top 3 unless they're already close to a top 3 pick (top 6 ish). And even then they're going to have to overpay a lot to make the leap.

The discussion isn't if the teams would be willing make the move, it's what would it take to move the pick.  And as you stated why the pick wont likely get moved. 

If Arz calls us,  we don't asked for less.  They have to meet our demands and if they don't want to pay the price then oh well, we draft a franchise center.  I think the point of the OP's topic, it's what is the bar we think about moving the pick and for the most part, that's what "it would have to be a heck of an offer" means. 

46 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

nope, arizona will not move OEL or Domi. Ownership already stated that. 

And JB just said it will take a HUGE over payment if he were to trade one of the top three picks, if we are fortunate enough to win one.  

IMHAO this is all posturing.  Arizona will trade OEL and Domi and what ever it takes to get Matthews.  They are not going to come out and state that, of course.  They are keeping their cards close to the vest.

16 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning is willing to trade our pick, does that not scare anyone? 

hell of a trade? Wonder what his assessment would be. 

Benning being a realist and making an honest statement does not scare me.

On the other hand, fear mongering fans do scare me.

Boeser (Hodgson), Demko (Di Pietro), McCann (McCann)....Gets us the other Twinn Finn.

Lucic      Stamkos   Hansen

Laine      Horvat      Puljujarvi

Baer       Sutter       Virtanen

Gaunce  Zalewski   Dorsett   Etem   Rodin  Granlund 

We could let them go.  You can put in Hank and Dank instead of Lucy and Stammer if that's your thing.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yeah, it's really hard to understand why we haven't heard from all keyboard warriors lately about how bad of a pick Boeser is.

Given our history of picks like Schroeder, Hodgson, Josh Holden, Pat White, and Nathan Smith. I'm happy any 1st round picks who can become decent NHL'ers.  

Archived