The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

logan brown!

linden17

Here's the thing fam,

The draft is always a best guess, nobody ever knows who will be a diamond or who will be a piece of coal. Teams, including Vancouver have passed on some high ending players, which nobody expected to be Norris Trophy defensemen. Notwithstanding, I don't think Benning should draft a defensemen with their first overall pick: I don't see any of the currently highly ranked defensemen being worth the high pick. The Canucks have the luxury of having a high second round draft pick (33rd), which can be used to draft the best available defensemen--a similar logic to when Benning draft a goalie (Demko) in the early second round. Nobody is going to question that pick there. Trading down makes little sense unless Benning gets a solid 2nd or high 3rd round pick in return in this years draft, all the while picking a solid prospect still in the first round (example trading down to 13th or 15th to select Logan Brown). I could live with this option, but honestly, I think it is best for the organization to select one of those high-end wingers at the 5th spot. With Edmonton selecting 4th, and maybe selecting a defensemen, or moving down to do it, it is hard to predict which winger Benning will get.

If Benning has an option, I would go with the Canadian left-winger: Pierre-Luc Dubois. "He's a top-end talent that impacts all aspects of the game from different angles. May well be the most complete player in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. His multidimensional play and elite offensive prowess reminds scouts a little bit of a James "Real Deal" Neal. Competitiveness marks his game and consistently proves to be a high impact player when he is on the ice." 

That sounds pretty good to me. The Canucks have a deep right-wing with Virtanen and Boeser for the future top 6. Having Horvat and Mccan at centre, adding a LW like this would be significant. Don't forget Sven Baertchi who has improved his game a lot as well. That would be a diverse top 6 moving forward. 

I think selecting a Canadian Dubois here would be a nice win. Sounds like a 200 foot player, who can score a lot of goals, and a competitor all things the Canucks want. The Oilers always select this elite scoring forwards and bust out...they need guys like this who can play defence as well: if they select him at 4, then we take Matthew Tkachuk -- who is really similar, just more gritty. 

I don't want Dubois.. We need a good dman badly joulevi looks really good IMO. Also Benning should draft more defencemen a even later on as they break out during their 18/19 year old seasons.. Guys like brisebois, and Tate Olsen have a good chance at making the NHL. Ideally we should pick up 3 more defencemen this draft..

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Logan Brown could be a dark horse but there is no way Benning will pick him up at the 5th spot. The only way we pick up Brown is if we somehow added a top 15 pick and got him outside of the top 10 since that is where he will likely be drafted. There are a lot of players like Jost, Jones, Bean, Sergachev, Chychurun etc. that rank ahead of Brown even though Brown could very likely become an impact player. But if you are picking a player to be the most NHL ready outside of the top 3, then Tkatchuk, Joulevi and Dubois would seem to be those players. Others will probably require some more development time with their Junior team.

Absolutely the right call, although Craig Button is predicting the Canucks take Brown at #5. But Brown is a project and you don't waste the #5 overall pick on a project. Yes, there is some uncertainty about every young guy taken in the draft but with the high picks you need to take players who are solid bets to be at least top 6 forwards or top 4 Ds.

I know that lots of people on CDC don't like criticism of the Virtanen pick, but it looks increasingly like the Canucks drafted a bottom 6 winger with the #6 overall pick when they could have picked guys who are obvious top 6 and probably top line forwards in Ehlers and Nylander. But at least Virtanen was a local kid which probably tilted the decision-making. But let's not make the same mistake with Brown.

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

I was always against trading down but, does our position mean we should?

That is a very good question.  Given the depth from 4 to 35 we are hearing about, it might be a good time to get another pick or two -- trading down seems like one strategy for sure.  Dubois, Sergachev, Juolevi... even Tkachuk... it would be risky to pass on these guys for 2 players of possibly lesser status.  On the other hand, imagine getting Fabbro and Brown in the same 1st round.  (vs. just Sergachev, e.g.)

brain washed brainwashed i say brainwashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

get over the freaking Boston series, big players don't mean striking gold. GET FREAKING SKILLED PLAYERS, im sick of getting these big players liek Virtanen who turn out to be future Raffi torres. 

How big is St louis, Chicago, Dallas, Pittisburgh, etc etc? Logan Brown is over-rated for the love of god why can't this management just draft skill or go with a safe pick and take the finish defencemen.

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

brain washed brainwashed i say brainwashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

get over the freaking Boston series, big players don't mean striking gold. GET FREAKING SKILLED PLAYERS, im sick of getting these big players liek Virtanen who turn out to be future Raffi torres. 

How big is St louis, Chicago, Dallas, Pittisburgh, etc etc? Logan Brown is over-rated for the love of god why can't this management just draft skill or go with a safe pick and take the finish defencemen.

Still hasn't gotten old

26657451401_544c1df678_o.gif

We might as well have gotten 15th overall if we're drafting Logan Brown. All those years of Thornton choking in the playoffs. One series win and he's the ideal centre? 

Tavares 6'1" 209 lbs

Crosby 5'11"  200 lbs.

Seguin 6'1" 200 lbs.

Backstrom 6'1" 208 lbs.

Kuznetsov 6'0" 172 lbs. 

Yes there are bigger guys like Malkin, and Thornton. There's also some pretty tough oak tree leg centres that are smaller but have skill and built. BPA.

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Desi, what state of intelligence are you at right now?

3 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Archived